“Home away from home”
Review of An African Villa

An African Villa
Ranked #8 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 2 June 2014

An African Villa is centrally located in a lovely neighbourhood on the slopes of Lion's Head and Signal Hill. Popular Kloof street seamed with trendy shops and eateries is within walking distance of the "villa".

Guests can relax downstairs in the lounge areas or make use of free internet facilities provided. Free wifi is also available in the rooms. During summertime the sun can be soaked up next to a small splash pool in the outside courtyard. Refreshments are available at anytime from the honesty bar in the kitchen.

The tastefully decorated, spacious room I stayed in on the first floor facing the courtyard offered a comfortable king size bed with good quality linen. A small television with a basic choice of channels is available for those deciding to stay in and relax. The en-suite bathroom has a shower with good water pressure and bath (including salts) with more than enough quality towels. A bathrobe and slippers would have been a treat - especially since I stayed on a cool, wet weekend at the start of winter. That said, the heat panels in the bed and bathroom more than made up for it.
If you are after a powerful hairdryer, perhaps management should be notified in advance. I am sure this can be arranged by the friendly and helpful staff. The one provided will serve its purpose but may pose a challenge to those with a generous head of hair or contemporary hairstyle.
Tea and coffee making facilities are available in the room. I did not use this since I enjoyed bottomless filter coffee with breakfast in the morning. A bit of soft background music would have been welcome in the dining room to break the sometimes awkward silence.

I have enjoyed my stay at An African Villa and will recommend it to travellers that are after simple, comfortable accommodation in a more peaceful environment. If it is mainstream, contemporary fair that you are after, perhaps one of the larger chain hotels should be considered.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,017)

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I stayed with my family in April 2014. All the staff were so friendly and helpful. The room was spacious and clean with awesome views of Table Mountain. The breakfasts were delicious and I really appreciated that they had a guest fridge and honor bar in the kitchen. The communal spaces were also comfortable. The hotel is in a nice neighborhood with good restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jessica C
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My partner (Stuart) and I stayed at An African Villa for out first visit to Cape Town from Australia. We chose An African Villa based on the reviews we'd read on trip advisor and we were more than impressed with out stay.

Louis (one of the owners I believe) was extremely helpful (he pointed out where to go/ how to get there/ and where to stay away from) and was always very happy to assist us. It made such a huge difference to our stay in Cape Town.

The rooms were extremely comfortable, clean and quiet, we slept like babies every night.
The location was great, we often walked or took a short cab ride.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Cape Town (without a single hitch) and this is greatly thanks to An African Villa providing us with a very comfortable room, delicious cooked breakfast every morning and the guidance we needed to get around and make the most of our stay.

Would defiantly stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Excellent atmosphere, very relaxing and enjoyable, stuff is a few steps ahead and treats you extremely nice. Location is great too - very close to center and you can walk to bus stops, but very quiet. Rooms are clean and spacious. Dining area on the back of the hotel is very private and you can sit there and relax after day of exploration. Would definitely recommend this hotel!

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 24 May 2014

It's not easy to find a good balance between everything a bed & breakfast needs to be - polished, welcoming, intimate, convenient, and affordable. AAV is all these things. Louis gave us an extensive tour and tons of great information. If not for him, we wouldn't have gotten to see Babylonstoren's incredible gardens (and tasted their supernatural salad), nor experienced the must-be-seen-to-be-believed Delaire Graff winery - the perfect wine tasting experience. And with the currency exchange, about $7CDN for 5 full, delicious glasses of lovely wine in an environment that can only be described as indescribable. The b&b itself is 3 colonial houses, beautifully decorated, good wifi, great food, and an enormous room with high ceilings, gorgeous bathroom, it was honestly one of my favorite accomodations ever. My partner and I loved it. We stayed there in February but it's been on my mind ever since to come here and share our experience. It would be the first place we'd come back to in Cape Town, even before the extraordinary hotel we stayed at after, the Vineyard (amazing but lacking that intimacy, and so expensive). AAV is just want you want in a place to stay. Thanks guys. :)

Brad & Ramon

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brad M
Reviewed 21 May 2014

3 - 19th century town homes have been merged to form a delightful boutique hotel. Our room on the second floor was lovely and comfortable with an outdoor balcony. The common areas are tastefully decorated. The breakfasts are great and even better when the weather allows you to be in their lovely outdoor patio. Ask for a ground floor room if stairs are a problem. The hosts are very gracious and helpful. Breakfast only is served and there is an unheated 'plunge' pool. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris C
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We arrived at midnight and were greeted at the door by Sandiso who gave us a quick, tiptoed tour of the Villa. Our room was on the main floor, complete with coffee, tea, cookies and a comfortable bed and spacious room. We awoke the next morning late for breakfast, however the staff was very gracious offering us breakfast which would include a briefing of the city; best shopping, "safe" areas to visit, restaraunt reservations and suggestions for attractions. With a detailed map we walked to nearby Long Street and GreenMarket Square. I traveled with my gal friend and we felt safe walking through the residential neighborhood. Each night we enjoyed visiting with other visitors over complimentary port or sherry in one of the living rooms, one evening Keith and Cindy joined us for lively conversation. Sandiso was on evening watch and was very conscientious of the noise level and the other sleeping guests. I had a load of laundry that I needed washed and missed the cutoff time for delivery and the staff cheerfully made a special trip to laundry to get my wash back in time for my departure from the Villa. The kitchen was complete with honor system refrigerator stocked with drinks and snacks as well as complimentary cake in the afternoon. Delicious breakfast each morning. I really enjoyed the decor, very simple but tastfully decorated with African art that could be easily found around the city for take home decorating. An African Villa was the perfect lodging facility to stay at for our first night and first visit to Cape Town as we felt very welcomed and at ease finding our way around the city with knowledge from the helpful staff that made themselves available outside an office. I was taken in with the ladies at the lodge who not only cooked for us but cleaned our room. I loved their colorful, African printed uniforms and their headpieces. They were so kind and helpful when I asked them to use one of my scarves to wrap and tie around my head for my days outing. I felt special and beautiful when I left the Villa! Next time I'll video so I can easily do at home. Final day we spent time visiting with Keith and his 3 dogs, never feeling rushed or intrusive on his duties at the Villa. I would not hesitate to stay here again and forgo the large, impersonal hotels in the city. Thanks for a wonderful stay and treats for the road, you all are the best!!!

Room Tip: We stayed on the bottom floor, easy access to dining room.