“Charming”

Ranked #72 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Davao City, Philippines
“Charming”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

If you like a small, personally run hotel in a charming old Victorian building, and at a very reasonable price, I think you'll love Fritz Hotel. The location just off Kloof St. is great. It's close to several restaurants and shops, and you can even walk into the city centre, yet it's quiet, apparently safe, and has great views. If your taste is for new hotels and fittings, this is not for you. As someone else noted, some of the fittings could do with some TLC.

My room overlooked the courtyard and had a great view of Lion's Head. I had a very comfortable bed, a small old TV, and a spacious bathroom with no shortage of hot water in winter. Wifi in the room was acceptable and strong in the reception / lounge area. Breakfast was very good. Staff were unfailingly friendly and helpful.

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but after two long visits it's definitely my first choice.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank BeijingTimetraveler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Turkish first
Paarl, South Africa
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Second time to stay here; our preferred spot when in the city.

Plus points:
- Central, but quiet location; walk to Kloof str, Long str, The Labia movie theatre, the Mt Nelson, The Wellness Centre, Company Gardens, various museums etc.
- Fully stocked fridge, fan, hairdryer in room.
- Crisp, clean good quality bedlinen.
- Clean towels.
- Excellent quality breakfast with a variety of cold meats, cheese, breads.
- Friendly & welcoming; immediate response to e-mail queries.
For the above I give it a Very Good rating.

Points for improvement:
- If u've been to Grahamstown, u'll know the type of hotel: a gracious old lady who needs a bit more powder on the face to hide the ever-forming wrinkles. That's all. Just a bit of TLC. This will justify the R950 per room per night.
For this I would give it an Average rating.

I definitely recommend Fritz Hotel if u want a quiet, central location with warm service and quality breakfast.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GrietWesternCape
Paarl, South Africa
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Fritz is our preferred hotel in the Kloof street area and wonderfully central. However, the signs are all around that it needs some maintenance and TLC. Broken window latch and curtain rails in our room. Great breakfast served as late as you like.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paarlite
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I booked this hotel expecting the worse, however, I was quite surprise in the most positive way. They were over booked my room when I arrived, therefore they gave me an upgraded room. This room had it's own courtyard and extras within the room. The hotel was close to many local restaurants and tourist attractions. The hotel was quite and clean. Free wireless wifi was available, but wasn't told till check out. The staff helped with booking tours and things that were more local attractions.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Josh W
Quebec, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Good service the employee are really helpful
The breakfast is really good (fruit salad, croissant, etc)
Near good restaurant and not to far from everything. Its in a safe aera.
The price is also good.
In short I recommande this hotel.

Room Tip: we had a room with the shared balcony was really quiet !
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Viviane L
Missouri
Reviewed 7 August 2013

This Hotel was selected for me by a group that I was professionally linked to. I was to stay 3 nights. It was located within walking distance of many venues in the city. The first night, I awoke with bug bites. When asked if the remaining nights could be refunded, the owner requested he see visible bug bites before refunding the money, otherwise, he would upgrade the room and not refund pre paid money. As I had been out all day, the bites had resided prior to my return. The first room had a shower that could only be used hand held, as the shower head would not stay on the wall. The "upgraded room" was larger and had a working shower. The breakfast provided had fruit flies in the bowl of fruit and on the cheese which was left out (uncovered) for self service all morning. I had read the reviews prior to agreeing to this stay, and was therefore surprised by the quality of the hotel. I am uncertain as to what was paid for this accommodation, but would hope not much.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
TheFritzHotel, Owner at Fritz Hotel, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
I think we all agree that the worst thing that can happen to a hotel guest is to be bitten by bugs when sleeping! The accusation of this guest that she was bitten by a bug at night was therefore taken extremely serious by everybody at The Fritz Hotel. We checked the bed and linen carefully, but could not find anything. We then asked the guest to see the bug bites, but the guest explained that the bite marks already had disappeared... We then gave her an upgrading to our nicest room and thought that she would appreciate our efforts. Her very negative review (and I even would call it defamation) thus came as a surprise. Guest reviews are a very important and useful part of the travel industry, there should be a sense of responsibility on the side of guests when using them. We never had any bed bugs over many years of operation of The Fritz Hotel and there was never a guest review mentioning a bed bug before. This guest might have been bitten by a "bug" somewhere, I suspect it happened in her mind, invisible again!... Arthur
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We had a lovely stay at the Fritz Hotel. The rooms are basic but well looked after and great value for money, perfect for a more budget conscious holiday. We had a great view of Table Mountain from our room. The staff were always friendly and willing to help. The location is perfect; a safe walking distance to Kloof and Long Street with lots of lively bars and good restaurants. It was also an easy 20 minute walk to the V&A waterfront. We really enjoyed the time we spent there.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
City Bowl
Ikhaya Lodge
Ikhaya Lodge
#78 of 109 in Cape Town Central

Been to Fritz Hotel? Share your experiences!