“Don’t let me put you off but….”
Review of Lion's Head

Cape Point and Winelands Full Day Tour from Cape Town
US$250.00*
Sea Kayak and Bike Tour from Cape Town
Reviewed 12 December 2013

The views are spectacular, but I didn’t really notice them as I was concentrating on staying alive. Once you get to the rocks you are pretty much scrambling on all fours, clawing your way up the mountain, with deadly drops all around. Tip: DON’T WEAR RINGS OR BRACELETS as they get horribly scratched on the rocks.

I rate myself as a reasonably fit 50 year old. But I found this hike to be well out of my comfort zone, certainly not an 'easy walk' for me.

There are two routes to take up, almost everyone on the trail was going the ‘hard’ way, but part way up I found I couldn’t reach a hand grip. So we turned back and took the ‘easy’ route up. I think being short (5’2”) was a handicap as I simply didn’t have the stride and reach to easily navigate the rocks. (I know that many people shorter than I will have found it no trouble at all)…. But I am being totally honest here.

But once at the top I had a very keen sense of satisfaction - and apprehension as I knew the decent was probably going to be harder – and it wasn’t. I found the best way down was on my bottom - a lower centre of gravity is the key. (most women were opting for this technique).

So, I am glad I have done it. I have been told Table Mountain is an easier, but longer climb, hmm we will see….

1  Thank freetime2013
There are newer reviews for Lion's Head

Reviewed 11 December 2013

Great place to get up to and have lunch whilst enjoying the panoramic views; not to mention the challenge of just being out (up) there.

Take:
- Water (one litre per person was good for us)
- Good footwear (running shoes are fine)
- Light weight clothing as it can get hot
- A small backpack with a warm jacket and hat inside as weather can change and become cold
- A cap
- Sunscreen
- Camera

We set out from the carpark at the base of Lions Head and took the longer route close to the top and it ended up taking us 90 minutes at an casual pace. Whilst a lot of earlier reviews I had read suggested an easy climb, I think that these might have been written by long legged people in their 20s; knowing this for that is what I would’ve written at that age.
Unfortunately the passing of the years does have an impact on the body and I realised a while back that I wasn’t the “mountain goat” I used to be. However from the perspective of a human male in his late forties the climb is definitely achievable; it just did not feel to be in the “easy climb” category.

Picnic style lunch at the top is a must; since you have invested the time and sweat in getting up there, you must take the time to enjoy the views offered which are spectacular on a sunny day.

Do check the weather before heading up; if the wind picks up whilst you are on the head, it can take the fun out of it.

1  Thank ctravla
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Loved it! 45 minute walk for an amazing view and perfect to make a lot of crazy pictures. Walk in clear sky!

Reviewed 10 December 2013

I walked up and down Lion's Head over the course of about 3 hours or so (including time to stop at the top and admire the view). The view from the top is excellent and I would highly recommend making the hike to the top! As with Table Mountain, bring a camera as the view at the top makes for great pictures!
I have a healthy fear of heights, and on one or two occasions I had to block out my fear and keep pushing forward - very glad I did!

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Great walk with amazing view the whole way up to the top. Great to see the sunset at 7:45 PM. Challenging enough and takes everything from 30-60 min to walk from the road