Southern Sun Cape Town in Strand Street, an ageing but still a landmark hotel, should by rights offer superlative service. The lounge restaurant in the entrance lobby was virtually empty when our group arrived and, at eight people, was the largest contingent in the venue. Under these circumstances, we might have expected snappy service but it was not to be. Instead, we were kept waiting for 20 minutes before receiving attention, and only after one of our party approached the food and beverage manager for satisfaction. When the drinks order arrived at last, I found myself a glass short. A series of comical exchanges then ensued before I finally secured my drink. Then came the lunch order and another round of mayhem. Ten minutes after placing the order, the waitress (one of two operating in tandem) then returned to check my order. I confirmed the Panini and she asked if this was in addition to the chicken salad, which I had not requested. When I explained this error, she quite vociferously insisted that I had placed this order. I politely disagreed and she irritably crossed the item off the list. I noticed that I was missing some utensils and requested this from her as she departed. When the food arrived I was still sans cutlery, and once more a comedic series of exchanges ensued before I could start on lunch. Or such that it was: with more onion than anything else, the meal must represent the worst example of light lunch that I’ve experienced in years, let alone at one of Cape Town’s grander hotels. Not a lot of leeway, then: disgusting service and awful food will ensure I never return here again. Needless to say, the same applies to my colleagues who were equally appalled. On the positive side, the ride in the lift to the 32nd floor was spectacular.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Right in the centre of where it's all happening and with magnificent views over Table Mountain and Robben Island, the four star Southern Sun Cape Sun is ideally located for visitors who want to experience one of the world's most beautiful cities. Hotel guests are invited to make use of facilities like the free Wi-Fi, indoor pool, fitness centre and Camelot Spa. For business needs the hotel offers nine fully equipped conference venues with space for up to 650 delegates There are many great restaurants and bars within walking distance but our free shuttle bus departs regularly to the nearby Victoria & Alfred Waterfront providing convenient access to a range of harbour-side restaurants and first class shopping, offering great appeal to visitors in search of an indulgent escape. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Southern Sun Cape Sun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Southern Sun Cape Sun Hotel Cape Town Central
- Southern Sun Cape Town
- Southern Sun Cape Sun Cape Town, South Africa