“Stay away”

Lady Hamilton Hotel
Ranked #101 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Poor service, breakfast terrible & little choice. Room was poor with mold simply painted over

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
CapeGirl20, Owner at Lady Hamilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

Thank you so much for your review. I am sad to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at the Lady Hamilton Hotel.

I have taken your comments to heart and have discussed them with our management team. It would be great to see you back at our hotel soon so we can provide you with great accommodation at our hotel.

kind regards

Reviewed 17 November 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Lady Hamilton for 3 nights in October 2011. Our room was clean and spacious enough. But, as someone else mentioned in their review, there was no door and no full length wall separating the bedroom from the bathroom. That meant that we had no privacy whatsoever (ex. you could see the toilet from parts of the bedroom because of a terribly placed mirror on the wall). Quite odd. Also, at night we heard A LOT of scurrying in the walls. It sounded like mice were running through the walls. It creeped us out and we didn't sleep well. The location was OK. I don't mind being off the beaten path, but we had to take cabs everywhere at night (kudos to the front desk staff who were always happy to help us with cabs).

Overall, if felt like we were paying hotel prices to stay at a hostel. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review of our hotel. The room that you stayed in the only room in the hotel with an open plan bathroom. All our other rooms have ensuite private bathrooms. We would gladly have moved you to another room if you had requested so at the reception. The location of the hotel is within walking distance of many tourist attraction, but we do however advise guests to take a taxi when going to the Waterfront.

It would be our pleasure to accommodate you at our Lady Hamilton Hotel again when you're in Cape Town again.

Reviewed 7 October 2011

I had a bad experience at The Lady Hamilton and although the location is perfect and the rest of the staff is friendly, I found the staff at reception unfriendly, bordering on rude. Checking in was slow and uncooperative. When I asked for help with bags (there is not lift), I’ve been told that I have to take care of it myself in a very rude manner. The next morning, there was no hot water in my room. A man from maintenance arrived shortly after I called and told me that it is known problem and that I just have to be patient (something to do with water pressure when too many people uses the single geyser on the floor). After being patient for more than 30 minutes, I had a shower with alternating boiling hot and ice cold water. When I complaint about it at reception, the lady pulled up her shoulders and turned her back on me; clearly no interest to listed to a customer’s complaints. I definitely won’t recommend this hotel. There are lots of hotels and excellent B&B’s in the area with similar rates.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
CapeGirl20, General Manager at Lady Hamilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2011

Dear ChrisEA

thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of the Lady Hamilton Hotel. As you say in your review, the location of the hotel is excellent. It is within walking distance of fabulous Kloof Street and close to many tourist attractions in Cape Town. I am very sad to hear that the Receptionist did not uphold the overall general friendliness that you experienced by the staff. This matter will be discussed with the person in question and a plan for improvement will be implemented to ensure that also the Front Desk meets all requirements. We did indeed have a problem with the hot water over the period of your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies on this matter. I have discussed it with a Technical Engineer and we will ensure that this does not happen again.

Please consider us for your next stay in Cape Town as we would love to show you our improvements. Thank you again for your review,

Reviewed 24 August 2011

It was not easy to find at first but the location is very good for exploring central Cape Town by foot. The check-in process was a bit complicated as we had to separate room vouchers for a night each and we requested to stay in the same room as has been pre-approved by their reservation manager. However, upon arrival we have been told that this wasn't possible. After a lot of tense discussions we have eventually been able to stay in room 115 for two nights. The room was fine although pretty basic. We slept well the first night and the breakfast had a good selection. Although it wasn't always the best quality, in particular the juice. The second night we noticed a loud sound in front of our window and figured out that it was the air conditioning not only for our room but also room 113. The one for 113 seemed to work on full power and was noisy. With no ear plugs, I couldn't see how I would be able to catch any sleep. The reception wasn't helpful when I asked them to help with the noise problem. In the end, I had to knock at my neighbours door to ask him to switch of his air con. Which he kingly did. In the end, I reckon, this is not a appropriate solution for future guests. Let's hope the management will address these issues.

Room Tip: Make sure that no air cons are running outside your room.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zurpher
CapeGirl20, General Manager at Lady Hamilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2011

Dear Zurpher,

thank you very much for staying at the Lady Hamilton Hotel and for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. The location of the hotel is indeed excellent for exploring Cape Town as a lot of the major attractions are within walking distance of the hotel. I must apologise for the inconvience that you experienced with our Front Desk Staff on both occassion. This will be addressed in our weekly Management Meeting and I assure you that we will learn from your comments.

Reviewed 9 June 2011

Nice place to stay when in Capetown. It's value for money
Nothing fancy about the hotel but it's quite, cozy & comfortable Hotel
Staff helpful
Location of hotel is good as well from Center

But rooms in hotel I feel are little small.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 May 2011

This was a great location with many local restaurants and a fabulous grill house within an easy and safe walk. We could also walk into Cape Town centre and the bus stop for the sight seeing bus was only about five minutes walk away so it was in a really good position. There were great views of table mountain from our bedroom window and we were not on a busy road.

The staff were excellent and nothing seemed too much trouble for them on our behalf.

There was an open access tea and coffee station and the breakfasts offered a good choice.

Wi Fi tokens can be bought but reception was a bit iffy around the hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure that you specify a double bed room
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 May 2011

The main things are OK. Nothing fancy though, but I did not expect that either.
The staff was very friendly and helpful. It was nice to have coffee, tea and rooibos available all the time.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel