Cape Cadogan
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
More Quarters Hotel(Cape Town Central)
View Hotel
Cloud 9 Boutique Hotel & Spa(Cape Town Central)
  • Breakfast included
Lady Hamilton Hotel(Cape Town Central)
  • Restaurant
Derwent House Boutique Hotel(Cape Town Central)
View Hotel
Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel(Cape Town Central)
View Hotel
Hippo Boutique Hotel(Cape Town Central)
View Hotel
Fritz Hotel(Cape Town Central)
View Hotel
An African Villa(Cape Town Central)
View Hotel
Cape Milner(Cape Town Central)
  • Pool
African Pride 15 On Orange Hotel(Cape Town Central)
  • Pool
All reviewskloof streetour honeymoontable mountainhot water bottlesprivate courtyardplunge pooldouble showercharming boutique hotelgreat boutiquebreakfast room isluxury roomwithin walking distancesmall hotelthree nightssouth africa tripfirst stopeach evening
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 December 2013

My husband and I traveled to South Africa over Thanksgiving holiday. We stayed in Cape Cadogan for 3 nights. I would say the best part about this hotel was how helpful the staff was. We had no set plans prior to getting to Cape Town. We had some friends staying at Kensington Place and Cape Cadogan's staff arranged our wine tour, Shark Diving, and reservations for dinner for both us and our friends.

The rooms were very nice, loved the big shower in the bathroom, and the little mini bar. We did take advantage of the laundry service while we were there.

Location was great because it was near lots of restaurants and away from the "touristy" part of town. However, you could take a shuttle during the day or night to go to Waterfront and was pretty close. We looked at staying in Waterfront but it's very $$ and touristy. After visiting Waterfront, it's like San Francisco ..everybody raves about Waterfront but we thought it was overrated. If your staying in Cape Town, I would def. stay at Cape Cadogan!. However, if you only have a very small time in South Africa and don't like big cities or crowds, I would stay outside of city in Hermanus or one of the other Wine Country regions and then just go into Cape Town for a day trip.

Room Tip: We had a luxury suite. Bathroom was awesome, terrace I didn't have a view since it was walled off… We were on the first floor
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
DirkCJacobs, Assistant Operations Manager at Cape Cadogan, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2014

Thank you for the wonderful review! Our aim is to provide our guests with an authentic experience that draws from local surroundings and people. We try and stay away from tourist oriented establishments to make this happen and I ham happy that you experienced it as such.

I hope to welcome you back soon!

Regards,

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Saw that someone was "disappointed." Hard to even imagine how someone could be disappointed with Cape Cadogan, and my wife and I have high standards The staff was all absolutely 100%, the accommodations lovely, and the location -- a bit away from the craziness at the waterfront, and the gated timeshares down there -- perfect. Absolutely would not hesitate to go again, and to recommend heartily. If you are disappointed at Cape Cadogan, perhaps one of those commercially, sterile, timeshares would be better suited to your taste, but if you want an intimate, charming getaway, this is a great place.

2  Thank Philip W
DirkCJacobs, Assistant Operations Manager at Cape Cadogan, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will be sure to pass on your kind words to our team - they will appreciate it very much!

You are absolutely right in saying that we are not like any other hotel in Cape Town - we provide a charming environment and unique experience to our guests that reflects the true culture of the Mother City.

Thank you for visiting - our home is your home.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 30 November 2013

The communal areas of this boutique hotel are very pleasant and the staff that greeted us on arrival were excellent (Cemone and Cliff) but sadly not all the staff perform at this level and our room, in our opinion, was tired. On the positive side there is however a good chauffeur service to the V&A Waterfront.

I have, since visiting, written and complained about problems we had but the response didn't delight me.

For example whilst there we complained about ants in our bathroom we were first asked what we wanted them to do about it! The tone seemed to indicate a lack of interest rather than an enquiry. We said that someone needed to prevent the ants entering the room and a while later was told that they would get someone in to deal with them. We suspected they hadn't and in a written reply to me after I arrived home I was told that, in fact, the duty manager and housekeeper had tried to remedy this. Clearly it didn't work as we still had ants the next day as well. I'm told that since then a pest control company has been called in.

If this had been all it wouldn't have mattered but the bathroom had loose tiles (this is where the ants seem to be coming from) and the ceiling had water stains that would have benefited from a coat of paint. Likewise the restaurant would have benefited from a coat of paint.

On our last day breakfast was chaotic. They ran out of plates and glasses and three people in a row had to ask for cereal bowls as they brought them out two at a time. Three times one of the waiters came and apologised to us about the long wait we had for our cooked food .. and each time came back and said it would be with us soon. We counted a total of seven staff in the restaurant that morning and I would have expected them to cope with a normal inflow of guests even though the hotel was full. Despite it being their purpose as a hotel ... they didn't. Having said that the service a couple of days previous, with fewer staff and a full hotel, was excellent and is to be commended. Thank you again Cemone and staff.

When we booked in we asked if it was possible to have a late check out on our last day. It wasn't as they were full but we were told we could leave our luggage and use the shower room before taking the late flight from Cape Town to London. What no one told us was that the shower room was in another hotel several streets away. It might be a detail but I think worth mentioning to us before we wanted to take a shower!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Jisca J, General Manager at Cape Cadogan, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Dear CustomerConsultant,

Thank you for your previous correspondence and once again for your feedback. We truly apologize that your experience of the Cape Cadogan Hotel was not of the five-star standard which we strive to deliver. I can assure you this is not the norm; therefore we take any kind of constructive criticism very seriously. As I have mentioned we have work-shopped your comments with my team to ensure we learn as much as we possibly can from this.

Thank you for also taking the time to compliment Cemone and mention your positive experience of the guest areas, our shuttle services and breakfast on the first three mornings. As you have mentioned the breakfast on your last morning was admittedly a rush we do not normally experience at the hotel and on that morning we took on a hands on approach to try and ease the load. We have brought in an outside consultant to ensure consistency in our service delivery and furthermore put in place various measures to alleviate a re-occurrence of the situation you describe.

Also, as we had mentioned in previous correspondence, rest assured that your mention of ants in the bathroom was not being ignored and we have been tending to the matter. Management and our Head of Housekeeping assessed the situation and sprayed the ants. I’m sorry that no one did inform you of this on your return. We have since also called in our pest control company in order to ensure they do not reappear.

Regarding your request for a late check out, unfortunately, it was impossible to offer you an extended check out time as we were fully booked and expecting guests to arrive into the room you were accommodated in. In instances where we are unable to assist with a late check-out, we do our best to ensure guests can enjoy the day and relax using our public areas, storage, drinks service and for their convenience freshen up before their flight home. Please allow me to say that our sister property is located just next door to the Cape Cadogan and the shower room located there allows us to offer this complimentary service for our guests who have booked a later departure out of Cape Town.

I am truly sorry that you didn't fully enjoy your stay with us as others on this forum have. Once again thank you for the review.

KInd Regards

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Stayed here between 16th and 19th Nov 2013 and it was a very pleasant stay. The room was a little small but that is only too be expected in a large city. However the room was very nicely appointed. The staff are what make the difference in that they are all extremely friendly and very helpful with ideas and suggestions for things to see and do and are more than happy to assist with restaurant reservations, taxis, etc. The hotel also run a shuttle service to the V&A Waterfront which is most helpful. Breakfast is a very pleasant set-up too with plenty of choice on offer. you can walk from the hotel down Kloof which then becomes Long Street and there are plenty of choices of bars and restaurants. Please try Mama Africa (reservations are essential) as it is really great with lots of interesting food choices !.

1  Thank CaptainsWife1
DirkCJacobs, Assistant Operations Manager at Cape Cadogan, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Thank you for the review! I am glad that you experienced our service as personal as this is our aim with each stay here at Cape Cadogan.

The rooms in the building are all very different from each other since it was originally a private home and the sizes of the rooms vary as well. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed breakfast and that you made use of our complimentary shuttle service to the V&A - I will mention this to the teams here at Cape Cadogan.

I hope that you will visit us again soon!

Best regards,

Reviewed 23 November 2013

This hotel was chosen for us by our tour operator to begin our Golden Wedding trip to South Africa and they could not have made a better choice. I do not think we have ever had such attentive service - all of the staff were so keen to ensure that we had a truly memorable stay in a hotel of which they were justly proud.

We had a beautiful large room with its own private terrace and a glimpse of Table Mountain. We were helped with trip planning and restaurant reservations, there was sparkling wine and a rose to celebrate both our anniversary and my husband's birthday.

All quite excellent - I cannot recommend this hotel too highly.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for this wonderful review. It was a pleasure hosting you at Cape Cadogan for your anniversary and I will pass on your kind words to the team. I hope that you will return for your next anniversary! We try to make each stay as unique as possible by providing personal service - I am glad that you experienced it as such.

Best Regards,