“AAAAAARRRRRGGGGG - the secret is out”
Review of Maharajah

Maharajah
Ranked #110 of 1,147 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
“AAAAAARRRRRGGGGG - the secret is out”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I am selfish. I have been eating here for years but I have never written anything about this place because I did not want to share this secret with all of you out there.... It was only since the owner asked me to write something here that I find myself obliged to share my secret spot. The personalized experience and the ABSOULTELY delicious food makes this place great..... what makes it FABULOUS though , is their good quality food for a REASONABLE price.....

Or maybe its more like a very reasonable price for brilliant culinary skills..... hence the secret

Anyway , dont let the dodgy aesthetics and icky toilet distract you , this place is something else. ..... There is a couple who sit at the same table every Friday night and order the same food and their wine is waiting for them before they even get there.... I have seen some very afluent diners and some average joes all enjoy this secret spot.

so here itis guys. I promised I would write a review and I have..... but I also hope no one reads it..... I would hate to pitch up there to find that one of the readers has taken my table

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Slartybartfarst

“The best Curry”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

If you want authentic old style curry, this is it. An easy to find place in the suburbs, with good service and excellent food. Good alcohol options too. Prices of food and drinks reasonable too.

• Visited February 2014
64546 Walldorf
“Fantastic Indian Food”
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Excellent Indian Food,spicy as you want it,High quality,very good wine List,Looking foreward to our next visit!

Visited January 2014
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Lamb off the bone curry ticks all the boxes!”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We've been visiting the Maharajah for over 30 years and remember the days when Sonny the owner used to come and sit at the table and make conversation with us. Sadly Sonny and his wife have passed on but not before leaving their legacy of excellent Indian cooking to the next generation, Jeeva and his sister. Its a hard task to sway me away from the 'Lamb off the bone curry' cooked to medium strength but I have occasionally succumbed to the succulent prawn curry and have never been disappointed. The restaurant is modest and unpretentious, yet a warm welcome awaits you should you visit either at lunchtime or in the evening. Logan fulfills the head waiter role admirably at lunchtime and has been a loyal employee of the restaurant since yesteryear, and has hosted many of the Cape Town judiciary for business lunches. In the evening you'll be in the warm company of young Jason and Kevin who will look after your every need with a chat and a smile and once you get to know them you may even experience a mischievous sense of humour, together with the pleasant bantering between them (that is unless Jason's flutter on the horses has taken a downturn during the day!). For those of you who enjoy a flavourful curry then please try the Maharajah, in a convenient location on the edge of the city centre. I assure you that you will not be disappointed.

• Visited January 2014
London, United Kingdom
“The Best Indian Restaurant and Curry in Cape Town”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

My husband and I have been dining at the Maharajah Restaurant for over 30 years, firstly when it was situated on Long Street and more recently since they moved premises to Kloof Nek Road. Why you may ask? Quite simply their curries are outstanding and the food is always delivered to your table piping hot as it should be and the plates also. So often mediocre restaurants serve you with warm food and cold plates which is always a no, no for us as the food has to be piping hot and this is always the case at the Maharajah. Even the rice is delivered steaming. Not once in over 30 years has our food ever been delivered luke warm which has happened at other Indian restaurants we have tried.

The Maharajah is our local and we try to visit every week if possible for our weekly treat of a superb curry.

I can highly recommend the fish curry, prawn curry and the chicken off the bone curry and for pudding don't leave without trying their delicious Vermicelli desert which is my favourite desert of all time now. I also highly recommend their Samoosas and Paratha's which are delicious and the best I have ever tasted anywhere.

This is an excellent restaurant with excellent food. You will be greeted with a warm welcome by Manager Jason and head waiter Kevin who are so warm and friendly and go out of their way to look after you and to make sure you have everything you need. They are excellent hosts and really make you feel special and are always willing to assist you and to recommend choices if you need assistance.

I can't recommend this Indian restaurant highly enough. We have tried many of the more 'trendy' Indian restaurants over the years but the Maharajah beats them all hands down on food quality, warmth of service and sheer value for money.

Next time you fancy superb Indian food, give this restaurant a try and you won't be disappointed!

• Visited January 2014