“Great location, great place.”

Long Street Backpackers
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We had a really enjoyable stay here. Great self catering kitchen. Good staff. No hassle at all. Great pool table. Manager invited us out to a braii one night which was nice of him even though we couldn't go. Rooms weren't anything special but for the location we weren't in our rooms much.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Alissaaa

Reviewed 22 June 2012

Really nice place to stay and is right in the heart of Cape Towns party area and Table Mountain. We checked in late due to late flight and even though our room was not available we were still dealt with in a very friendly manner and given an alternative room for that night. Made my stay in Cape Town so nice. Gave great advice for parking. We rented a car for our trip there as we were traveling quite a bit. Street parking is very secure but need to be there early in the evenings to get parking before the party goers take all available spaces.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gillian B
Reviewed 4 June 2012

This is a cozy, vibrant spot right in the heart of town. I loved it. All sorts of activities and events all within walking distance including a great nightlife. All of the staff was warm and attentive. This'll be the number-one spot I recommend to friends travelling through Cape Town.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Nathan W
Reviewed 29 May 2012 via mobile

Great hostel, great stuff. Peoples are there from 20 to 60 years, male and female. A good point to be and to get to know other people from different countries. Thumbs up. Every day is a good day! I travelled on my own and it was the best decission to stay here. Planned several trips with the people there and had so much fun - just great!

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank ds2508
Reviewed 29 May 2012

The Backpackers is situated in the hart of Cape Town and thats were I wanted to be. The staff welcomed me with open arms. I was supposed to be there only for a week but stayed much longer. The best is probally the interaction with the guest,I met a lot of travellers from around the globe and from South Africa. Some great parties at the backpackers as well. For the young traveller traveling South Africa I'll recommmend staying a few nights.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hostel was more quite, but the party bunch is on the rooms facing Longstree...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I was turned away at 6pm despite a booking from a week before because I could not produce my passport. Alternate forms of local identitification were refused without explanation. In fact the manager seemed intent on starting a fight. The requirement of producing a passport is not mentioned on their website and was mentioned only once in our email correspondence, but hidden away at the end of several paragraphs repeating the advertising guff on their website about how friendly the place is. I can't tell if i was unwelcome for being local, or for being an older woman not blonde enough, but I was not really surprised to find another reviewer who felt uncomfortable about the staff's racism. Of course if you're from outside the country, and hence automatically carrying your passport, and used to the majority of people around you being white, the place would seem innocuous enough and probably lots of fun.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed there for two nights on my way to Bloemfontein and overall it was a good stay. The manager was friendly and helpful. Just upset that they did not put an extra bed in the room prior to my arrival but it was not the end of the world. Great location in long street with restaurants just outside your door step.
Thanks for accommodating us