“Not your ordinary B&B” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Houston, Texas
“Not your ordinary B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

This was my first visit to South Africa. The Blackheath Lodge was recommended by my friends from Durban, on recommendation from friends of theirs. From the moment I made my booking, Antony, the owner of the Lodge, was immediately responsive to every question I had. He arranged for the lodge driver to pick me up and return me to the airport. I had questions about tours that I wanted to make. He made suggestions and booked the tours I decided upon. His suggestion to not book a city tour but to take the hop-on hop-off bus was excellent. It allowed the flexibility to spend time where I wanted to and it has audio descriptions of where exactly you are in Cape Town. One of its stops is Table Mountain – a must to go up. I was warmly greeted on arrival by Michelle and shown the ropes. Being a cat person, I was thrilled to meet Soda, the senior feline resident. I found all of the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful, in fact, there were hugs all round when I left. There was always someone available to answer a question. Tea, coffee and water are always available and are complimentary. Wine is available at any time on the honesty system – you mark down on the list if you have a glass and it is charged at the end of your stay. My room was very pleasant and my bed extremely comfortable. My en suite bathroom had a large shower. There was a cell phone available in my room for local calls. All tiny details that are often overlooked were covered. Breakfast was amazing. The ladies who make breakfast are wonderful. There are cold and hot choices. The omelettes were fantastic; the fruit the freshest and tastiest I have had in I don’t know how long; there were strawberry smoothie shots, everything was just right. As I was traveling on my own, I did not particularly want to go out to eat in the evenings so had the choice of ordering a “take-out” or having a cheese plate graciously prepared by the night manager, Jean-Claude. The Lodge is situated very close to Cape Town proper. It is in a peaceful neighborhood. In the evenings I found it very relaxing to sit with my glass of wine by the pool and to read. On my departure, Antony took a photo of me by the Lodge entrance. When I returned home, there was the photo in my e-mail in-box and a note of thanks for staying at the Lodge. I highly recommend the Blackheath Lodge. It appears that nothing is too much trouble to assist in making your trip a memorable one.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank LJV1515

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

We stayed four nights at Blackheath. After our first night, we were upgraded to a beautiful room double the size of the previous. Travelling with our 8 year old boy, it was great to have access to Blackheath's DVD collection and have "movie nights" in the room. The hotel premises are tastefully appointed and tended to meticulously by the warm and loving staff. Anthony, Jean Claude and Michelle in particular were amazingly hospitable, but for every single staff member it seemed like more than just a job.

The rooms are great with thoughtful touches like a pay per use local mobile phone, iPod dock, and just feel nice and cosy. Location is good - about a five minute drive from the waterfront. Parking is conveniently available, right outside the lodge under the watchful eyes of the towering 6'7" Jean Claude. The breakfasts were good, and even if there's no restaurant (It is a 10 room boutique hotel after all), there's a bunch of delivery options for dinner.

It will be hard to beat this level of hospitality at this price. Overall it's a charming place that you love being. Couldn't recommend it more highly.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

My husband and I had a fantastic time on our 3 night stay. The location was great and although we had the "cozy" basement room the first night, it was clean and fun! The staff are amazingly attentive and are genuinely available to make sure you have the best stay in Cape Town without a worry! They also have a cool black Mini convertible that we rented for the day trip out to Cape Hope and it was so much fun! Definitely recommend this eclectic place during your Cape Town stay!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

Our second stay at Blackheath Lodge and it's still the gem it was last visit. Extraordinary hosts Antony, John and Michelle make sure you feel relaxed and at home from the moment you arrive. Beautiful rooms, sunny breakfasts, chilled-out evenings and a peaceful courtyard garden It's hard to imagine there is a better place to stay in Cape Town. We'll never know because next time we're in town we'll be heading straight back to Blackheath Lodge. Recommended, recommended and recommended!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

This was an amazing place to stay and we would certainly come back here if we returned to Cape Town. The rooms were lovely, the breakfast was delicious, and the staff were extraordinary. We were greeted by name, with a glass of wine, after a 10 hour journey up the coast and our tension melted away. On the last day Antony was able to arrange a tour on short notice to round off our stay. It's one of the best places we've ever stayed, and we travel a lot!

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Tampa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012 via mobile

My co-worker and I stayed at the lodge for a week while we were in Cape Town on business. At the end of the week I did not want to leave. My room was beautiful, everyone in the hotel was so so nice and the breakfast was delicious. The DVD library was fantastic at the end of a long day at work and the rooms were so cozy I didn't want to leave each day. Special thanks to Jean Claude for making us feel so welcome after a long day at work. Each night he met us at the door with a smile and offers to order us dinner or set a place if we had brought dinner with us. I will absolutely stay there when I go back to Cape Town!

Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

I cannot imagine staying anywhere else in Cape Town. The location and the staff at the Blackheath Lodge are perfect in every way. Round-the-clock service, excellent restaurant recommendations and a quiet neighborhood perfectly situated. The added surprise was that this inn isa short walk away from a trailhead to Signal Hill and Lion's Head. My hike up Lion's Head was the highlight of my trip.

Room Tip: A few rooms are larger and have views.