“Home away from home”

Ranked #4 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Home away from home”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Blackheath is fantastic. The entire staff makes sure you have everything you need and more. They are so thoughtful. My daughter and I were sitting at the pool and they came around and served us ice cream as a surprise! It is small and beautifully appointed. It has really changed my mind about boutique hotels. They are now my first choice. They greet you by your first name and always are making sure you have everything you need. They make you feel as though you are a celebrity. The food is wonderful and you can order an individual hot breakfast every morning as well as the food they have on the buffet to choose from. Selfishly is it better than I ever would have ever expected and now that I write this, everyone will know about it. The only problem is that it is too far away from my home (the US). What a treat!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 9 February 2014

It's the perfect place to relax. The staff is very helpful, fun and friendly. The hotel rooms are spacious, nicely decorated and very clean. It comes with an extra cell phone which is perfect if you don't want to risk carrying your smart phone around or if you'd like to save costs and call from a South African SIM card. The best part about the place is the atmosphere. The pool area is perfect. The staff makes sure you feel welcomed, and they are quick to give you assistance or a piece of advice. Highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank piomio
West Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We arrived at Blackheath at 3.00 on a Sunday having driven 500 km from Knysna.
We were going to see Springsteen at the Bellvue Velodrome that night. Antony welcomed us, got us a drink, showed us to our room, organised some sandwiches and told us our cab would be there at 6.00 to take us to Bellvue. When the cab came he gave us a mobile with the hotel and taxi driver's (James) number in it. Introduced us to James and explained he was taking us there and would pick us up. He did all of that and we had a great night.
We didnt do a thing. Antony sorted it all.
The next day we headed off to the Winelands but came back to BL for four further nights. What we loved about it was
* the quality of the welcome and advice given by Antony, Charle, Godfrey and Jean Claude. The helpfulness of all of the staff
* the hotel itself - North Lanes Brighton look feel and vibe
* the other guests - friendly and welcoming
* great breakfasts food and drinks
* Cape Town in general but Sea Point and the promenade in particular
* it felt like home
We plan to return to SA and will stay at BL again

Room Tip: We stayed in two both were excellent
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Simongeorgep
Antony T, Owner at Blackheath Lodge, responded to this review, 9 February 2014
Many thanks for your lovely review and so pleased you had a great time including the Bruce Springsteen concert ! We look forward to welcoming you back to Blackheath Lodge.
Motherwell
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Four of us - myself, husband, mum and dad - stayed here for six nights in January. It's the perfect b&b when visiting cape town........honestly, I cannot think of a single thing that would improve Blackheath Lodge. Rooms were excellent, breakfast superb. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, who were always on hand with advice and assistance. If you are going to Cape Town, stay here. You definitely won't be disappointed.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank linda_cfc
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I have never been so sad to leave a place. Blackheath Lodge is like coming home to your own family. The staff take so good care of you and seem to be able to think of the things you want and like, before you know you want it yourself:-) Delicious breakfast, friendly staff, beautiful decoration in rooms and other areas of the hotel. Very clean and comfortable in every way. We absolutely loved every minute of our stay at Blackheath Lodge and are already longing to come back. Thank you so much!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 30 January 2014

The perfect home from home. This place makes Cape Town even more special.

I don’t know where to begin. This place made my trip to Cape Town so much more than a holiday. I usually stay in larger hotels so wasn’t exactly sure what to expect at the Blackheath Lodge. I left it not wanting to ever leave but also coming up with this – it’s like staying with family who actually want you to be there, but at the same time you can be completely on your own if you want. It was fantastic.

I usually start reviewing things like the property but it’s the staff team here which deserves recognition above all. Whenever you see one of the team you get the feeling that they’re genuinely happy to see you. I’ve never experienced this before. They want to know if there’s anything they can do for you and make sure you’re happy. It was wonderful. I want to list everyone here but am afraid I’d miss someone off. Thank you guys.

I didn’t even notice checking in. We were given a welcome drink and taken to our first room (they were almost full when we arrived and only had an “overflow room” for us. Room 14 was absolutely fantastic. It was like an incredibly comfortable hidden nest. If this was the spare room I wondered what the next one was going to be like. The decoration in the room was gorgeous (and this was mirrored throughout the property – such a fantastic combination of colours, textures and styles). It was a smaller room but this only made it cosier. The bathroom was fantastic and had fresh flowers and Charlotte Rhys toiletries (my new favourite).

After a night in nearby Stellenbosch we came back to experience room 12 for two nights. Take a look at the photos I’ve uploaded. The room is large – with one double bed and two singles. It has a vast sea-facing balcony with huge open windows, a large BBQ, an outdoor shower, sun loungers and a large couch. Both the view of the sea from this room and the room itself were spectacular. This room has a small kitchen area too, making it ideal for a family. The bathroom was large too and has an amazing rain shower right in the middle of it.

The property is immaculately maintained and spotless. Housekeeping do a great job in the rooms. The pool area is very enticing, especially in the sun. I would’ve wasted hours here if we weren’t in town for such a short period of time. Other guests did make full use of it… It’s essentially a small inner courtyard garden full of amazing greenery and flowers. It was so peaceful.

The bar area is very cool. I remember remarking about the colour of the walls here – my dream house would be decorated like this place. You’re always offered a drink too – alcoholic in the evening of course – and there is an all-day self-service tea/coffee area which had the most amazing cupcakes I’ve had for years. I unfortunately had to spend a day doing work on my laptop but sitting in this bar area was a great setting for me to do so.

Breakfast was great. You’re not overwhelmed by too many choices, options or even other guests – it is very leisurely, again going back to the feeling of you being at home. There’s a buffet selection which had plenty of options (and some different ones each day – try the quiche) and you’re also offered a hot breakfast (incredible bacon).

There aren’t any fitness facilities here of course but you’re only a few minutes’ walk from the seafront and some of the best running views around. There’s also an open “gym” area on the seafront which is free to use – very cool.

The lodge’s owners, Antony and John, and their wonderful team have created a place I’ll return to as soon as I can. This place is special and you’re guaranteed a great time in town. It adds another dimension to Cape Town’s already addictive qualities. I don’t think even a longer review here could capture how awesome the Blackheath Lodge was but I hope I’ve conveyed some of the admiration I’ve found for this place. If I’ve missed anything out I’ll make sure I put it in my next review, which can’t come too soon.

Room Tip: If you have a family - see if you can get room 12. If you don't have a family - ask for room 12...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank moaksey
Antony T, Owner at Blackheath Lodge, responded to this review, 9 February 2014
From all of us at Blackheath Lodge, we are thrilled that you had such a wonderful experience!
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Can't say enough positive things about our experience at Blackheath. From the warm and colorful decor, to the excellent location, to the most incredible breakfasts and the very friendly staff.
But wait, you might be saying, this could describe a lot of B&B's out there. True, but what makes Blackheath stand out beyond all these already amazing attributes, are the extras. The 24/7 tea, coffee, snacks and candy available for you to help yourself. The true feeling of comfort and just being at home. The phone and mini computer available in your room for your use. The hosts on hand at a drop of a hat, to help you with what ever you need. Genuine interest in helping you plan your day, advice on the different sites, ordering a taxi or making sure that the wallet that was left behind got to us at the airport, asap by taxi! Thanks again, Anthony. Don't know what we would have done without your quick thinking and being ready to act.
Do yourself a favor, really, and stay here if you are traveling to Cape Town. You will not want to leave.

Room Tip: The spacious loft room with the two King beds has a large private balcony and a beautiful view.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Cape Grace
#6 of 109 in Cape Town Central
Victoria & Alfred Hotel
#26 of 109 in Cape Town Central
Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, C...
#31 of 109 in Cape Town Central
POD Camps Bay
#1 of 12 in Camps Bay

Been to Blackheath Lodge? Share your experiences!