“Very clean, helpful staff, 5 mins walk to the waterfront”
Review of Blackheath Lodge

Blackheath Lodge
Ranked #3 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Toronto, Canada
“Very clean, helpful staff, 5 mins walk to the waterfront”
Reviewed 11 August 2009

We enjoyed our week long stay at the Blackheath Lodge. The rooms are lovely and very clean. Small room, private bathroom, and the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in outside of my own! The guest house is merely a 10 min walk away and the City Bowl is about a 30 mins walk away (or very cheap taxi). Same for ferry to Robben Island.

The staff is friendly and courteous. The breakfasts never disappoint! Seasonal fruit, cheeses, brioches, freshly baked strawberry crumbles, and hot breakfasts that are simply delicious. Omelets and yummy eggs benedict, a great way to start the day!
The small staff of perhaps ten people really make your stay easier. They are all travellers themselves and understand the wonderful or stressful things that can happen during a trip.
If you tell them what you are looking for in your vacation, they will bend over backwards to provide it. We found everyone (Michele, Jean-Claude, Peter and Antony) eager to make your stay what you want it to be. They offered us helpful advice that only locals can provide, options on how to get to destinations, restaurants, rentals, you name it.... Very friendly and chatty, but also leave you space to breathe and privacy for times when you want to enjoy reading by the pool, or want to be alone. There were no surprises on the bill.
Location-wise, it's a great alternative to staying in the downtown or staying at the boxy, cookie-cutter hotels on the waterfront

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 30someTraveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
NSW, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2009

My wife and I stayed at Blackheath Lodge for 3 nights at the end of July 2009. We found it an ideal place to stay in Cape Town. The welcome and service from Antony, John and Michelle was outstanding.
It is a beautiful Edwardian era building and the rooms are all large, well furnished and appointed. The large (kingsize?) bed was most comfortable and as good as any we have found anywhere in the world. The cooked breakfast each morning was great.
Antony went out of his way to make a phone call for us to make sure we could get a booking for a tour of Robben Island.
Blackheath Lodge is ideally located. The V&A Waterfront is only around 3 km away (R4.50 on a Golden Arrow bus or approximately R40 in a taxi).
Overall, fantastic!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank derek_from_oz
Perth
Reviewed 14 July 2009

My wife and I enjoyed a 4 night stay at Blackheath Lodge and found the service and style of the guest house exceptional, well located in Sea Point just a 15 min walk to the V&A Waterfront.
The ssstaff were friendly and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable, the room was fantastic and the bed to die for.
Thanks Antony and John and all the BH staff we will be there again one day!!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
ZA
Reviewed 28 June 2009

What a treat. My girlfriend and I spent 2 nights at Blackheath Lodge in a combined birthday celebration. In dealing with Antony and Michelle whilst making our booking made us realise that we had made the right choice of guesthouse. Oh my, we were so not disappointed. Jean-Claude welcomed us when we arrived late, helped us with dinner reservations and ordered us a taxi pronto. We got back to our room where the heating had been turned up slightly and we snuggled in for the night. Breakfast on the beautiful deck was superb - Una, that strawberry tarty thing you do is superb (oh, and thanks for the slice you slipped to my girlfriend afterwards). Staff were awesome - all of you. Can't wait to see you guys again soon.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Swaziland
Reviewed 26 June 2009

Two girlfriends and I stayed at Blackenheath for four days/3 nights in April. I was looking for a place with a good location, close to nightlife, and close to the Cape Town convention center that would be worthy of my friends travelling half way across the world, plus affordable. I considered Daddy Longs Legs, recommended by friends, but decided on Blackenheath. 15 min walk to the waterfront, 10 min cab rides to the convention center and to the nightlife area, the location was great. The room wasn't huge but definitely adequate space for the luggage of three girls on a 2 week vacation:) The room was clean, comfortable, and cozy. The staff was great, especially Jean-Claude.

I can understand how the other reviewer could find the advice "overbearing" but we found it helpful, giving us options we hadn't thought about, including setting up a "mini-tour" for us.

I wasn't looking for a hotel experience, I wanted a nice, friendly, comfortable, relaxing place before my friends and I headed out to explore CT and that's what we received.

Best thing: terrace, peaceful and beautiful area for eating, reading, chilling out and drinking their amazing coffee
Worst thing: lack of info: didn't know there was a place to use internet and had to ask about hot breakfast (the cold breakfast is GREAT though)

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank southernafrica30
Philly
Reviewed 17 June 2009

A couple of weeks a go I posted a review about this Guesthouse but it was not what the owner expected. Some how he convinced me to remove. But I feel very strong about it, so here it is revised.

When one arrive at Blackheath Lodge, it appears to be a quite a nice property but proves disappointing. Blackheath Cape Town, is a very, very mall Inn, and with in a short time it becomes extremely CLAUSTROPHOBIC. There is no place to go a side the very small, pretty, but very, very small courtyard and the tiny hallway area where they serve breakfast. On top of that the owner is constantly there “breathing” on your neck, and giving unsolicited advises. Also be ware of all the attention and the “you want a glass of wine?” it sound like a kind invitation but you will be charge for it. The 2nd night there I was INVITED for dinner, since I was staying 3 weeks, and they did not show me a Menu, nor a price, I thought it was something they do, but as I checked out I was charged 350 Rand for the so call INVITATION. There is a little restaurant on the water front, just down a few blocks “L’Etoile” where one can have a great meal with wine for less than 100 Rand. Just to give you an idea.

So, yes it is in a good location, but for that price $110 a night, NOT Rand, dollars, the mediocre service, and the extremely limited space allocate to the guests, there are many other lovely Guesthouses and Hotels in the area worth checking them out. Oh!!! why they have so many reviews with 5* ? I asked myself the same question. Maybe because people whom disagree with the quality/service of the Lodge are asked to remove the review as I was asked to do.

JJD

12 Thank JJDG
Minnesota
Reviewed 10 June 2009

We have stayed at a number of different places in Cape Town (and around the world for that matter) and find that Blackheath ranks amongst the finest. It's a lovely facility and run exceedingly well by Antony and John who strive to make the entire experience - both in the guesthouse and in Cape Town - the very best. The rooms are lovely, the neighborhood leafy and quiet, the breakfasts are delicious and the happy hour gathering around the pool are a highlight. Blackheath is the answer to impersonal hotels - if you stay elsewhere you will miss a wonderful experience. We have finally found our home away from home in Cape Town and look forward to our return in December!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple