On approaching Blackheath Lodge I was struck by it’s immaculate frontage and it’s great location (walking distance to both the mountains and the sea, an only a short and cheap journey in a cab to the City Centre and Camps Bay). Once inside a modern and very calming atmosphere takes over. I liked the way that the communal areas were decorated and this coupled with the beautiful terrace and pool area made it a place I knew I wanted to spend a lot of time. As soon as you meet John and Antony who run Blackheath Lodge you see exactly where the happy atmosphere comes from. Their warm and friendly nature makes you feel completely at home and their helpful attitude to your stay immediately comes across. They don’t want to just make your stay comfortable but they will go above and beyond the call of duty to help you organise your itinerary. Whether you want to go for a day trip to the winelands or book a trip to Robben Island – they will help you do this, making things pretty stress free. And I suggest that you listem to their suggestions for dinner bookings – they never got it wrong for us!
The room we stayed in was one of two double rooms at the top of the guesthouse. The room was fresh and simple with a view of the sea over a few rooftops. There was always water by the bed as well as wine and snacks if you needed it. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was spacious, modern and clean. The bedroom was perfect for winding down between a busy day being a tourist and a hectic evening eating and drinking! Curiosity got the better of me as usual and I also had a peak (with John and Antony of course!) at some of the other bedrooms. All just as beautiful as ours and all completely individual. Although not all the rooms had a view, this really doesn’t matter as they all had so much charm. I would have been happy staying in any of them.
Breakfast was always a joy. Homemade individual flio quiches, fresh yoghurt, granola breakfast cakes, cheeses and the best breakfast omelet I’ve tasted in a long time! Fresh juice and as much tea and coffee as you like set me up for the day perfectly. One of the other things I loved about Blackheath Lodge was the relaxed feeling of the guesthouse as afternoon descended into evening. Comfy chairs and tables played host to a collection of drinks you could sip on served by a member of the team. It was lovely to sit on the terrace, over looking the pool while drinking a local wine or cider before going out.
Having never been to Cape Town before, I was struck by the friendly nature of everyone that I met. The other guests staying at Blackheath Lodge were a mixture of first timers to and those who return for John and Antony’s hospitality time and time again – and who can blame them. I’ll certainly be back.
John and Antony and their team couldn’t have looked after us better – coming across like one big happy family at all times. In fact, they were the personification of why you should stay there. If you needed a sanctuary to relax in while in one of the best cities on the planet – Blackheath Lodge is it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Blackheath Lodge is a Victorian guest house situated below Signal Hill, a stone's throw from the city, Waterfront and well-known beaches. Stylish bedrooms, excellent personalized service and warm hospitality. Enjoy breakfast on the terrace overlooking the pool and garden. Come home to a sundowner after a busy day of sightseeing or power business dealings, safe in the knowledge that a quiet, comfortable night's sleep awaits you. Airport transfers. Credit Cards. Children 12+. TGCSA 4-Star Guest House. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Blackheath Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blackheath Hotel Cape Town Central
- Blackheath Cape Town
- Blackheath Lodge Cape Town, South Africa