“One word: Awful”

Ranked #128 of 1,207 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Price range: US$1 - US$4
Cuisines: International
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Mondiall is situated on the water of Cape Town's beautifull Waterfront with the best view of Table Mountain of any restaurant in the city. Open all day with Breakfast, Brunch (at weekends with Live Sunday music), and afternoon cocktails and evening Dinner, Mondiall is without doubt one of Cape Towns best dining experiences. Friendly staff, excellent service and mouth watering food make this place a must visit location for long afternoon lunches and a whole lot more!
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Tried out Mondiall last night.

Ordered three different starters: glazed pork belly, chicken yakatori
and the mushroom mozzerella balls. The waiter got the order mixed up on the very fancy looking ipad gadget, so we had a duplicate of pork bellys and the deep fried mushroom balls and no yakatori starter. That was alright, human error and the waiter rang up the right one as well as some chilli for myself.

Next problem was the lack of actual mozzerella in these balls, and the 'spicy' tomato dip was as bland as your basic chopped tomatoes. The chilli took pretty long in an almost empty restaurant. My sister then ordered a chocolate sundae dessert. Hers came out wrong too and had to be sent back for the right one again. Only after that did the yakatori finally arrive. Two tiny skewers, which were so fatty that we're wondering if it was chicken and not pork meat. Besides that, the coleslaw that came alongside the yakatoris wasn't any good either.

I've worked at a restaurant myself so I know there are good and bad days. The waiter was alright even with the slip ups but what I can't forgive is the poor quality of food. Not only that but it is very overpriced for what you get.

Hello

We are sorry you had an unpleasant experience at Mondiall and were not satisfied with our food - as you say, you have worked in one restaurant and restaurants do have bad days...!
We hope that you and your sister will visit us again and experience what Mondiall does offer, 99% of the time.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We were given vouchers to Mondialls as we had a bit of a room switcheroo at the Lawhill Apartments. We went for a late breakfast or brunch. My husband, myself, my son and his partner. I ordered the French toast, and my family different things. All I can say was it was most definitely the nicest breakfast I have ever had. My family agreed. Absolutely delicious.

We did not know if this restaurant, and it needs more advertising, but do yourself a FAVOUR, and find it and go there to give your taste buds the time if their lives. It's was scrumptious. Delicious. Well presented. Everything a restaurant should be. Will be back for sure. Jedanna

Hi Jedanna

We are So glad you enjoyed your breakfast with your family and took the time to share your experience - breakfasts and weekend brunches are indeed a close guarded secret with those in the know enjoying a peaceful sumptuous feast!

Look forward to seeing you all again in a near future -

Kind regards

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Mondiall does not disappoint, the tapas are great, all our main courses were also excellent. The service is also very good, and the wine prices are reasonable. It is well-located in the V&A Waterfront, it is worth a visit! Well-priced food as well.

1  Thank Hooggenoeg

Hello Gerhard,

judging by the number of reviews you have submitted you are to be well respected in sharing your foody thoughts and opinions! Thanks very much for your feed back and please know that we strive to be the best we can each and every day, in all areas of the service and hospitality industry.

Look forward to seeing you again soon - kind regards,

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We came all this way to be offered Norwegian salmon. We arrived at 7 and then basically were told there was no more seafood. The harbour's so close you could fall into it! How could this be..... In addition the staff failed to deal with an incident that happened with our neighbouring table. Resulting in us feeling more than unhappy with the experience. Real shame - because it could have been great. What we ate was lovely but not what we wanted.

1  Thank travelleruk039
Patrick S, Owner at Mondiall, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Hello - thank you for your comments - sometimes restaurant have 'bad' evenings that do not leave a good impression on its customers. There happened to be a particular run on sea food the evening you were with us, and at this time of year we do buy in almost daily. There is no excuse for our customers to leave feeling unhappy and we strive to keep high standards. Comments such as these help us address these sort of shortcomings.

kind regards,

Patrick

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I was really looking forward to seeing what Peter Tempelhoff had to offer with his new venture Mondiall at the V&A Waterfront but came away feeling pretty unconvinced. I couldn't fault the service which was friendly and attentive and whilst the brasserie menu covered all the standard bases you would expect (meat, fish, salads etc) neither of our dishes had the wow factor. There's also something about the dining room that didn't quite work. The huge screen showing the World Cup soccer in this contemporary designed environment jarred for me. I am confused by what Mondiall aspires to be and what crowd it aims to attract? Not what I was expecting.

Patrick S, Owner at Mondiall, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Hi Matt - thank you for writing the review. Cape Town winters are a time where we work on offering our customers different experiences. Our World Cup experience is aimed to offer diners a game of world class football (I appreciate it is not every bodies cup of tea!) and a great plate of food. We have just yesterday introduced our winter menu and the Wow factor is very present. The football is over on 13th June and I hope you will come back and try us again and have a complimentary bottle of wine. Sunday brunches we are introducing jazz in the afternoon starting in a few weeks, otherwise no other big screen offerings are planned.

look forward to welcoming you back