“Didn't stay the night...”

Daddy Long Legs Boutique Hotel
Ranked #73 of 108 Hotels in Cape Town Central
uk
“Didn't stay the night...”
Reviewed 22 February 2009

Having read reviews in the guidebooks we thought that this 'boutique hotel' sounded like a good option to stay at for our last three nights in Cape Town. All looked ok to start with. Its definately not a boutique hotel though - a backpackers but that was not a problem for us.

After arriving and checking in we waited for over an hour whilst they converted the twin room to a double for us. We took advantage of our welcome drink but that was soon gone and we sat in reception and no-one acknowledged us at all. We eventually asked what was happening and the guy who had checked us in had left - and no-one knew what was going on. No-one had been changing the room over - so we were left for another wait whilst the receptionist went up to do it.

We got to the room (fairly basic but absolutely fine at first glance) The bed was two singles pushed together with a double sheet over them (which we could happily have done ourselves so why the long wait).
Whislt my boyfirend struggled with the broken blind to get some light into the room I turned on the air-con. As soon as the vent opened out flew a cockroach - landed on the bed and scampered off under the pillow.
I've lived in Australia and stayed on the Khao San Road and so am aware that cockroaches do get everywhere. However seeing it flying out of the air-con just left me thinking how many more are in there and will I be able to sleep with the air-con on? The room wasn't cheap enough to get me over this so we returned to reception.

The hotel was fully booked so they arranged us to have a room at their sister hotel down the road for the night and we would return to a different room the next day.
Our experience at the Grand Daddy wasn't incredible for various reasons (i.e. another long wait whilst they located a spare key - the previous guest had taken the main key - leaving us stranded at our room for a few hours unable to lock it and leave, and with no update) left us deciding not to return to either for our final two nights stay.

Overall - if you can get a really cheap rate and want something basic then you might get lucky. Otherwise - not impressed with the company as a whole.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bishalish
Francois32, General Manager at Daddy Long Legs Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 5 May 2009
Hi there,

My name is Francois, General Manager of Daddy Long Legs. Thank you for your comments and we take it to heart.

Firstly I would like to apologize on behalf of Daddy Long Legs for the confusion at reception with regards to your twin beds.
Secondly, I would like to invite you to stay a night for free, whenever you back in Cape Town. Just to make up for your experience.

I have also taken note of your comments on the twin bed. We will invest in thicker mattres protectors that converts twins into doubles.

Cape Town is known for its pests during summer. Insects fly in from outside causing problems for everyone. We do have a company that helps prevents insects, bugs etc. I will also personally ensure that we have a closer look at this, to eliminate any problems regarding this matter.

We take comments and crticism seriously as it guides us the direction we strive for. Thank you and please come and stay with us and see the difference!

Warm Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Ireland
Reviewed 21 July 2008

A little belated review but here goes! Enjoyed our stay here. Very central and was good value for money. I was recommended this place by a friend who had stayed earlier in the year. It met all our needs and found front staff very helpful with my many questions! Our room was being mak1one and while was adequate was a little bright in the mornings with sun shining in. Some other rooms that we got a glimpse of looked funky and cool. Would stay again. Although i do think is suited to those in their 20's and 30's who would like to be in a central area close to good bars.

Stayed October 2007
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 10 July 2008

It's real comfortable apartment with all the stuff I need such as washing machine, oven, microwave and so on. The apartment is just right in the center of Cape town, only ten minutes walk to the Art museum, German park, Tourism information center etc. The manager was also friendly and helpful. Though, it was so noisy at nignt time and I couldn't go to sleep without ear plugs.it didn't bother me much. I still loved my stay there.
Scoopeedoo
Bangkok Thailand

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Noisy
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
sydney
Reviewed 29 April 2008

Amazing!

I can not fault this place or their staff or anything about our stay.

To be perfectly honest, the staff, in particular Wayne, made our stay really memorable. His fantastic helpful and funny nature and his local knowledge helped us book tours which were really to our flavour.

Our room was called 'Open' and it was really comfortable- the see-through glass into the bathroom was a little weird at first for my fiancé and I, but we got used to it.

For the price of a hostel, the experience is so vastly different. The rooms are cleaned to a sparkle every day, and the linen and towels are also fresh daily.

I organised to get some clothes washed and that was no hassle and my fiance was able to surf and check e-mails at any time, as there are 2 PC available for hotel guests.

I would recommend a stay here, over staying anywhere else in Cape Town, as Long Street has the a really cool vibe, lots of pubs and cafe's to suit any taste.

We had a great time! Thank you DLL!!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — You know- nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
Dubai
Reviewed 19 April 2008

We have just returned from Cape Town where we spent our final two nights in Daddy Long Legs. The hotel itself was very cool – I loved the room (You Are Here) and the general atmosphere which was very much like a backpackers place. The loos in reception were also brilliant – I loved having a wee and seeing what was going on in the main reception area!

However … our stay was not without issues. The position of our room was not ideal. We did choose this room after looking at the hotel website but did not realise where it was in relation to the main road – and was in fact just above busy and very noisy Long Street. During our first night I probably got 30 minutes sleep altogether – there was the constant noise from people entering and exiting the hotel – seemingly throughout the night – the ridiculously brightly illuminated ‘Daddy Long Legs’ sign directly outside our window, a whirring sound which I assumed was from the coffee machine outside our room, which repeated every 3 minutes throughout the night, and at one point, a woman shouting at the top of her voice, banging out of her room which seemed to be next door to ours, continuing to shout in the corridor and then slamming out into the street where the noise continued. I was not at all happy.

The following night I tried to put the previous events behind me and was very tired. When we got into bed however, there was a constant new noise which I eventually located to the fountain near reception but which was audible from our room. I went and asked the guy on reception if he could possibly turn this off as it would keep me awake. I was shocked that he refused, saying that the management would tell him off if he turned this off as this had happened before. I explained that this sounded ridiculous and it really would help if he could turn it off but he just messed around with it and told me to close the fire door upstairs. Bizarre.

Most staff were very helpful apart from one very tired looking lady (maybe she had stayed in our room previously) who was blunt and unwelcoming every time we approached reception with a question (which wasn’t very often).

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
stefan72, General Manager at Daddy Long Legs Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 5 May 2008
Hi there boofy_verity,

Stefan here, I'm the General Manager at Daddy Long Legs, Cape Town. Firstly let me apologise for any inconvenience you might have experienced while staying at Daddy Long Legs. Secondly, thank you for your constructive criticism - Daddy Long Legs, and our guests are our passion - we want our guests to experience our beautiful city, and whilst doing so, get a good nights rest! So please believe me I will do everything I can do to rectify these problems (some we probably don't even know of, because we've never heard the coffee machine, fountain etc - so THANKS, for letting us know) Boofy, if you’re ever on your way Cape Town again, please contact me, and I’ll give you a night on the house, and you can let me know if I did a good job at fixing these problems. Have an awesome day!

Many thanks, Stefan.
Granollers, Spain
Reviewed 14 March 2008

I enjoyed our stay at the Daddy Long Legs. All the rooms are very different, so it is worth it to visit their website and chose the room you prefer yourself. We stayed in the "open" one. The walls are filled with pictures of sunsets and the roof has a mosaic of mirrors (which was the main reason for what we chose that room, of course :-D).

A funny thing is that the toilet door is transparent, and the toilet is just in front of the door, so you don't have really much intimacy in those moments when you need to be sitting there by yourself. :-) We found it funny anyway.

The staff is nice and helpful, and we even had a full bottle of wine as a welcome drink, which is not something you are really used in a budget hotel. They can also help with booking anything, and they have heaps of information.

The location, just in the middle of the lively Long St, is perfect. Our room didn't face the street, which is probably nice at night time, when the street can get pretty noisy.

We were very happy with the hotel, and it helped to make our stay in the already gorgeous city of Cape Town memorable.

Stayed March 2007
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2008

We stayed in the emergency room for one night. The theme is a hospital room with red being the main colour of the room. Hospital equipment in the room! Plus a nurses outfit! Bed was not that great - could do with replacing.

Bathroom floor could have been cleaner.

Not sure I would want to stay in this room more than one night - the colour is a bit much.

The place has a backpacker feel to it. Depends what your looking for I would not call this a botique hotel.

Smoking is permitted in the building in a seperate area, not good you can smell smoke in the rest of the building.

The internet did not work - too slow

Liked the complimentary drink. and the great location on Long Street. Plenty of bars and places to eat.

Yes I would recommend this place if you dont want to pay for the Metz hotel on long st .which looks very nice. Had breakfast and lunch here very good. This is a good location to stay in Cape town. We went out at night and felt safe.

• Liked — Location (The hotel is different and worth a one night visit if in CT)
  • Disliked — smoking in the hotel
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
DaddyCapeTown, Owner at Daddy Long Legs Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 1 February 2008
Dear Emmalucy

Thank you for review. As I always say these reviews are so important to us as it gives us the opportunity to continually improve our hotel and meet the expectations of our guests. In answer to your review:
The Emergency Room is quite intense on the senses – an incredibly funky and popular room and full of bright colours with out of the ordinary décor. Should you stay with us again I would be most happy to show you some of the other rooms. At Daddy Long Legs each room is designed and decorated by a different artist so it’s like sleeping in an interactive art exhibition. Some of the rooms are more toned down than the rest and we suggest visitors look through the web site and choose a room that resonates with them before arrival.

With respect to the bed – thanks for the comment – the beds are just over a year old but I will look into replacing them. Our suppliers tell us they have a 3 year lifespan, but the hotel is very popular and has been busy.

On the bathrooms – your point was well noted and we have just completed a deep steam clean. They are now looking lovely.

With respect to the internet – no sure why it was slow, but will look into it – we have free internet at the hotel and we are on Broadband.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.