“Simply wonderful!”
Review of Sugar Hotel & Spa

Sugar Hotel & Spa
Ranked #66 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Sugar Hotel is a pure delight; wonderful design, fantastic rooms, superb food and very friendly, helpful staff.
I am not normally one to recommend hotels, but if you are visiting Cape Town for a few days, you will regret not staying here; it is, simply wonderful.
Well done to everyone at Sugar.

Room Tip: Do not be put off by rooms facing Main Road, the noise was minimal. A/C is very efficient.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank 352UKTraveller42

Reviewed 4 October 2011

I was travelling alone on business to meet colleagues in the city of Cape Town. I have been in there before and I wanted to avoid the big business 4 and 5 star hotels where you might feel unanimous most of the times while I wanted something cozier with local color, to experience the South African hospitality. Obviously, I couldn’t justify staying in a lodge near the sea or outside of the city so the Sugar hotel seemed to be the ideal choice for my trip! And it also proved as I had imagined it. I had the illusion that I wasn’t for business anymore. A friendly good morning every day from the stuff and a goodnight was a returning at this homey place at night, fresh breakfast at the time that I wanted near the small cozy pool and a half day experience in its 2rooms Spa with the beautician doing her best to please me made me feel that I was in a friend’s house accommodating me for few days! So, I would suggest this new, city boutique hotel mostly to business travelers that want to avoid the big hotels and in couples that want to spend their time in a city hotel in Cape Town. The location is good.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank zewa
Nkosi M, Manager at Sugar Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2011

Dear Zewa,
Thank you very much for taking time to share your experiences at Sugar Hotel.
From the feedback here it looks like you had good experience in our hospitality establishment and we are glad it turned out that way. What we are aiming to achieve here at Sugar Hotel is to create a homely feel for our Guests, an environment where each Guest has a name and can wake up at their own time and does not feel rushed and then enjoy fresh breakfast in our restaurant Marc's Table. Marc's Table also offers light to multiple course lunch and dinner tailor made to suit our Guests' daily dietary needs as the Guests would have in their own homes.
Our location has proven consistently to ba a plus for our Guests in terms of accessibility to many places of interest i.e. the V&A Waterfront and Robben Island Gateway a mere 15 minutes walk, the upmarket yet not touristy priced Cape Quarter and its variety of eateries and specialist shops, the CBD and its numerous museums a5 minute car ride, Clifton Beach a 10 minute car ride, the list is endless. Our team here takes delight in being of great service to our Guests and we will endeavour to ensure a seamless experience for our Guests.
We wish you the best in all your endeavours and hope to welcome you again on your next trip here.
Kind regards
Nkosi Moyo

Reviewed 3 October 2011

Sugar hotel provided me with the best stay ever! On arrival, the hosts spoiled me with a cocktail and were very friendly!The service is excellent, the food is divine and the staff are so friendly! I will come back and recommend it to any one! The hotel is walking distance to the V&A waterfront. I was spoiled with a full body massage and it was heavens! The hotel is very fancy and deserves its 5 stars. At the same time it has a very cosy and home feeling to it. Thank you Sugar Hotel!

Room Tip: Room 5 is really nice! its got its own plunge pool
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Duviet
Reviewed 2 September 2011

i stayed there a year ago in this small upmarket boutique hotel, when i say boutique its in all aspects boutique... the service is personal the staff is amazing they really care for everyone individual need... well done guys.. thank you for taking such good care.... see you in october again..

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank businessman312659
Reviewed 29 July 2011

The property – small but stylish and tidy. Located on a very busy road in Cape Town so not peaceful. About five minutes by car from the waterfront area. The ambience is “washed concrete” – grey and steely.

The room – very comfortable and high style. First class double bed, first class stone lined bathroom. Lots of space, about 200 square feet. Only drawback was the main road outside, meaning you cant sleep with the window open. The rooms at the back are probably much quieter.

Food – pretty much a bed and breakfast as far as I could see, though the breakfast was well above average, verging on outstanding.

Value – about OK, verging on the expensive (but the bed made up for that).

Room Tip: sleep at the back!
  • Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Coltbridge
Nkosi M, Manager at Sugar Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2011

Dear Coltbridge

Thank you very much for taking time to offer valuable feedback on your stay here at Sugar Hotel.
We at Sugar Hotel are glad that you found our hotel stylish,tidy, and our rooms spacious and comfortable in keeping with our aspirations.
I would like to let you know that the grey and steely washed concrete ambience is gone after the recent interior renovations that we carried out after your stay here. The ambience is now homely with touches of earthy colours in keeping with our high aspirations of being the ultimate home away from home for all our esteemed guests.

I also would like to let you know that all our street facing rooms each have two sets of double glazed sliding doors to minimise noise generated by the traffic on the road nearby and when completely shut make for some peaceful sleep. State of the art air conditioners in each room can then be utilised to regulate the internal climate to our Guests' requirements.

As far as food is concerned, we also offer lunch and dinner in addition to breakfast ranging from light meals to multiple course meals. These meals are created fresh to guests' taste or specification with expert advise from Marc who is owner of the hotel and is a qualified Cordon Bleu Executive Chef. We are glad that you found the breakfast verging on outstanding and we hope to welcome and host you at some point in the future so that we can better that and give you a totally undoubted outstanding experience with our food representing our ultimate aspiration of ensuring total satisfaction for our Guests.

We wish you well in all your endeavours and hope to welcome you again here with our warm hospitality.

Kind regards
Nkosi Moyo

Reviewed 3 May 2011

The hotel never disappoints. This was my second trip though I was alone the first time. We had a fantastic time, my wife and children are still raving about the atmosphere and the excellent service we received. I can't wait to see what it will look like after the renovations.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Dukes56
Reviewed 2 May 2011

We arrived in Cape town and had a friend pick us up and attempted to take us to the hotel. Unfortunatly we timed our arrival with a Neil Diamond concert and all the roads around the hotel were closed, blocked or unable to be reached. We parked and walked to the hotel which was very modern. We loved the security of the hotel - we had to get buzzed in to gain access to the hotel and there was always some one to greet us with a smiling face when we walked inside.

The rooms were lovely and modern. Personally I loved the grey concrete walls - I felt it was clean and modern. The size of the room was fantastic- never felt cramped. The bed was massive and so very comfortable after a 26 hour flight. I loved the bathroom - again plenty of space and thought the blue lights in the floor was a great idea - good for leaving on in the middle of the night when you dont want to turn on the large over head light. The hotel has free wifi which travellers like me LOVE - at times it was a little intermittent - we got better reception sitting near the door. Maybe the concrete walls cause a little interference.

We were able to walk to the waterfront in about 10-15 minutes. We found some little short cuts which worked. We never walked back to the hotel in the dark - preferred to catch a cab. From the waterfront a cab cost about 35Ran (with a good tip for the short trip). Just down the road from the hotel is a Spar supermarket which came in handy for cool drinks and even a pretty decent stir fry!

One of the best parts of our stay at Sugar - the breakfast!! We were served museli and fresh fruit to start with, then your pick of about 4 different breakfast items. We ended up eating the same breakfast every morning - it was delicious and set us up for the day!

One tip - the hotel is set in to the side of a hill and so there are stairs to get from one level to another - there is no elevator. This was never a problem for us but could see some travellers struggling. The night we arrived the man that greated us carried my case but, but when we left we took them down ourselves. I'm sure they would have come and got them but we are more than capable.

The staff were very friendly and called us by name. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them. All areas of the hotel were clean and inviting. The gentleman that took us to our room on the first night gave us a brilliant tour of the room and showed us how to open the bi-fold doors. The double glazing that they have done is brilliant - when closed we couldnt hear any traffic noise what so ever.

Thanks for a brilliant stay!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple