“Service with a Smile”

Ranked #56 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Alexandria, Virginia
“Service with a Smile”
Reviewed 18 November 2011

The Sugar Hotel complements the hospitality of beautiful Cape Town. The hotel beautifully decorated, the rooms large and comfortable, felt more homely than being in a hotel. Great breakfasts. The staff always willing to help beyond their call of duty. Personalized treatment. Great location, walking distance to the Water Front with great restaurants and shopping. Spa treatment a must. Security is a big issue and I felt safe during my stay. I highly recommend this Boutique Hotel and and will return again.

Marta

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Marta H
Nkosi M, General Manager at Sugar Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 December 2011
Dear Marta H,

Thank you very much for taking time to offer your valued feedback on this platform. We are glad that you recommend our hotel to other prospective Guests.
Our team is glad you found us to "complement the hospitality of beautiful Cape Town" and that you found our hotel to be homely, an aspiration that the we here pursue greatly.
We hope to host you again the future and wish you the best in all your endeavours.

Nkosi Moyo and the Sugar Hotel Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed 13 November 2011

The Sugar Hotel was hands down one of the best places I've stayed in the many years I've traveled abroad. The beautiful, modern decor made me feel immediately at home and the personalized items such as the complimentary bath robe and slippers were a lovely treat. This is definitely a place I would highly recommend. The staff and service were both outstanding. I arrived near midnight and the staff kindly arranged a wine tour for myself and my friend the following day. They also arranged tours of the Peninsula, city tour and township tours and whale watching tours so I participated in 5 tours in 5 days to make the most of my time in-country. They have a lovely spa on-site so my friend and I enjoyed relaxing massages one day. Their breakfast is a true delight and I looked forward to this every morning. In addition to freshly made coffee, yogurt and fruit, they also offer french toast, omelettes and other items that were all delicious and presented so beautifully that my friend took a photo of one dish. After a very busy work schedule, this was the perfect place to unwind and explore the Capetown area. Green point, the area where the hotel is located, is within walking distance of the V&A waterfront where there is a host of stores and restaurants. Taxis are relatively inexpensive and for $4-5 a trip to the waterfront, they also were handy for the evenings or after a long day. The hotel staff were just lovely and so helpful. I was with a friend for the first few days and then on my own and the staff made me feel so welcome. If you are visiting Capetown, you would regret not staying here. My sincere thanks to the wonderful staff and management at Sugar. It was a delightful experience!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Lori Y
Dear Lori Y

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experiences while here, as a learning organisation we find this gesture useful as we continue to seek seamless hospitality solutions for our Guests' needs.
It means a lot for our hotel that you rate us so highly in your review seeing you are well travelled. I am glad that members of our team here ensured you felt welcome during your stay and arranged tours for you even at short notice, it is this quick responsiveness that we aim for as a hotel. In this regard we have introduced private tours to the best of the cape peninsula places of interest in our own luxury vehicle for the convenience of our Guests.
Our breakfast offering is meant to delight and fulfil and we are glad that Marc (Hotel Owner and Executive Chef) did just that with you. I am also glad to let you know that our food offering does not end there as there are options of light to multiple course lunches and dinners as well here at Sugar Hotel. The great thing though is, in our quest to offer the home away from home feeling to our Guests, Guests also have an additional option of requesting for a dish of their choice as they would normally do in their own homes and we hope you will enjoy this on your return stay with us in the future.
We wish you well in all your endeavours and hope to see you in future.

Nkosi Moyo and the Sugar Hotel Team
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Sugar Hotel is a pure delight; wonderful design, fantastic rooms, superb food and very friendly, helpful staff.
I am not normally one to recommend hotels, but if you are visiting Cape Town for a few days, you will regret not staying here; it is, simply wonderful.
Well done to everyone at Sugar.

Room Tip: Do not be put off by rooms facing Main Road, the noise was minimal. A/C is very efficient.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank 352UKTraveller42
Greece
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I was travelling alone on business to meet colleagues in the city of Cape Town. I have been in there before and I wanted to avoid the big business 4 and 5 star hotels where you might feel unanimous most of the times while I wanted something cozier with local color, to experience the South African hospitality. Obviously, I couldn’t justify staying in a lodge near the sea or outside of the city so the Sugar hotel seemed to be the ideal choice for my trip! And it also proved as I had imagined it. I had the illusion that I wasn’t for business anymore. A friendly good morning every day from the stuff and a goodnight was a returning at this homey place at night, fresh breakfast at the time that I wanted near the small cozy pool and a half day experience in its 2rooms Spa with the beautician doing her best to please me made me feel that I was in a friend’s house accommodating me for few days! So, I would suggest this new, city boutique hotel mostly to business travelers that want to avoid the big hotels and in couples that want to spend their time in a city hotel in Cape Town. The location is good.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank zewa
Nkosi M, Manager at Sugar Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 October 2011
Dear Zewa,
Thank you very much for taking time to share your experiences at Sugar Hotel.
From the feedback here it looks like you had good experience in our hospitality establishment and we are glad it turned out that way. What we are aiming to achieve here at Sugar Hotel is to create a homely feel for our Guests, an environment where each Guest has a name and can wake up at their own time and does not feel rushed and then enjoy fresh breakfast in our restaurant Marc's Table. Marc's Table also offers light to multiple course lunch and dinner tailor made to suit our Guests' daily dietary needs as the Guests would have in their own homes.
Our location has proven consistently to ba a plus for our Guests in terms of accessibility to many places of interest i.e. the V&A Waterfront and Robben Island Gateway a mere 15 minutes walk, the upmarket yet not touristy priced Cape Quarter and its variety of eateries and specialist shops, the CBD and its numerous museums a5 minute car ride, Clifton Beach a 10 minute car ride, the list is endless. Our team here takes delight in being of great service to our Guests and we will endeavour to ensure a seamless experience for our Guests.
We wish you the best in all your endeavours and hope to welcome you again on your next trip here.
Nkosi Moyo
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Sugar hotel provided me with the best stay ever! On arrival, the hosts spoiled me with a cocktail and were very friendly!The service is excellent, the food is divine and the staff are so friendly! I will come back and recommend it to any one! The hotel is walking distance to the V&A waterfront. I was spoiled with a full body massage and it was heavens! The hotel is very fancy and deserves its 5 stars. At the same time it has a very cosy and home feeling to it. Thank you Sugar Hotel!

Room Tip: Room 5 is really nice! its got its own plunge pool
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Duviet
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 2 September 2011

i stayed there a year ago in this small upmarket boutique hotel, when i say boutique its in all aspects boutique... the service is personal the staff is amazing they really care for everyone individual need... well done guys.. thank you for taking such good care.... see you in october again..

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank businessman312659
Reviewed 29 July 2011

The property – small but stylish and tidy. Located on a very busy road in Cape Town so not peaceful. About five minutes by car from the waterfront area. The ambience is “washed concrete” – grey and steely.

The room – very comfortable and high style. First class double bed, first class stone lined bathroom. Lots of space, about 200 square feet. Only drawback was the main road outside, meaning you cant sleep with the window open. The rooms at the back are probably much quieter.

Food – pretty much a bed and breakfast as far as I could see, though the breakfast was well above average, verging on outstanding.

Value – about OK, verging on the expensive (but the bed made up for that).

Room Tip: sleep at the back!
  • Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Coltbridge
Nkosi M, Manager at Sugar Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 September 2011
Dear Coltbridge

Thank you very much for taking time to offer valuable feedback on your stay here at Sugar Hotel.
We at Sugar Hotel are glad that you found our hotel stylish,tidy, and our rooms spacious and comfortable in keeping with our aspirations.
I would like to let you know that the grey and steely washed concrete ambience is gone after the recent interior renovations that we carried out after your stay here. The ambience is now homely with touches of earthy colours in keeping with our high aspirations of being the ultimate home away from home for all our esteemed guests.

I also would like to let you know that all our street facing rooms each have two sets of double glazed sliding doors to minimise noise generated by the traffic on the road nearby and when completely shut make for some peaceful sleep. State of the art air conditioners in each room can then be utilised to regulate the internal climate to our Guests' requirements.

As far as food is concerned, we also offer lunch and dinner in addition to breakfast ranging from light meals to multiple course meals. These meals are created fresh to guests' taste or specification with expert advise from Marc who is owner of the hotel and is a qualified Cordon Bleu Executive Chef. We are glad that you found the breakfast verging on outstanding and we hope to welcome and host you at some point in the future so that we can better that and give you a totally undoubted outstanding experience with our food representing our ultimate aspiration of ensuring total satisfaction for our Guests.

We wish you well in all your endeavours and hope to welcome you again here with our warm hospitality.

Nkosi Moyo