“Happy Families in Quality Luxury”
Review of Sugar Hotel & Spa

Sugar Hotel & Spa
Ranked #55 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Bubbenhall, United Kingdom
“Happy Families in Quality Luxury”
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Any concerns of travelling to a boutique 5 star Hotel with young children were immediately dispelled upon arrival by the friendly nature of the staff. This friendliness and interest in me and my family continued throughout our stay and nothing was too much trouble for them, even the cuddly toys were tucked in.The Hotel achieves the perfect balance of luxury and discreetness without being pretentious and over bearing. Rooms are large particularly the bathroom and the facilities are perfect given the size of the hotel. During our stay there was a cosmopolitan mix of nationalities and ages.The V&A is a leisurely 10min walk. We will defintiely be back for another relaxing break.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank IHR1966

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I recently spent 5 wonderful nights at the Sugar Hotel and Spa in Cape Town. The hotel is a small boutique hotel; recently very tastefully renovated. My room was spacious as was the bath, and I had a private patio with a great view of Table Mountain. Location was excellent- within walking distance of the waterfront and the convention center which was important to me. Staff catered to my every need; I had no idea there were other travelers in the hotel, though the hotel was full. I will definitely stay there on my next trip to Cape Town.

Room Tip: Each room is unique so tell them what you want?
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Lusaka, Zambia
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I had a pleasant stay and was made right at home by helpful staff. The room was perfect as was the comfort. If I had a criticism it would be the bouquet of channels on the TV was limited but even that was not enough to deter from what was a pleasurable and very satisfying stay!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Reviewed 26 March 2013

This was the best get away experience I have had in a very long time. From the moment you step into the Hotel, the staff was friendly and very help full, booking restuarants and giving directions. What a wonderful and stunning Hotel, the bedrooms are beautifully done with white percale linnen and the bathrooms are perfect! We had the most wonderful massages in the Spa and the breakfast was wodnerful and delicious. Thank you we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will be back next year!!!!! Well rested mommy!

Room Tip: Any room in perfect, we had road facing room, but is was quiet not 'n sound of the traffic,
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Elzahn V
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We were greeted at the door by the most unfriendly hostess who refused to let us check in 1hour before 2pm. We had to pay the full cost of the room upfront before we even set foot into the room.

Although the room was huge and smelled lovely, the carpet, furniture and walls were stained and in need of a serious clean. The pool on our balcony was drained and under maintenance, a fact the 'friendly' hostess failed to tell us and when confronted about her lack of mentioning this to us said 'it is not my job to know what maintenance that is going on at the hotel'.

There is no turn down service even though this is a 5 star establishment and we had to carry our own luggage down to the car after miss friendly failed to answer the phone to send us a porter.

All in all the service at this hotel is worst I have ever experienced and would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Eric751
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 March 2013

We have a wonderful 4 night stay at the Sugar Hotel. The staff were wonderful and accommodating and got to know us - so much so, that when I rec'd a phone call to the hotel, they advised my colleague that I was not there and was at the pool! Since they opened the doors, the hotel has been fully booked and I felt that the walls, carpet, and some of the fixtures needed to be cleaned/replaced. But this did not interfere with our stay and we truly had a wonderful time. For larger parties, check out the family rooms to have "inter-leading" stays.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Amsterdam
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I had the privilige to stay at this beautifull hotel for 15 nights and it was just amazing! The hotel is brand new and has a nice designer touch to it. I had a room with its very own private pool and sundeck. The rooms have all modern amenities and high quality beds and linnen. Breakfast is real good with an abundance of choices. During my stay I had a rental car at my disposal which I could park in the hotels' secure inhouse parking. I was pleasantly surprised to see, that my car was regularly cleaned overnight; courtesy of the hotel. I have stayed at many hotels over the years but this one is in my all-time top three.

Room Tip: My room was facing North, was quiet, had a big sundeck with own pool.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo