“Ten days in Cape Town.”

Ranked #57 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Oslo, Norway
“Ten days in Cape Town.”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Good location for people who enjoy Waterkant or Greenpoint area. Very safe Even at Night. Big living room and bathroom. We stayed in room 1 facing the big street and the Stadion.The bed and pillows was super. Comfortable and quiet hotel. Good service and very helpful staff. Even the hotel is close to the Main Road it was quiet inside the room.
Wonderful breakfast.
Free Internet wireless connection.
Small pool outside the breakfast room.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Agree with all the positive comments made previously - very helpful staff, great room and decor, and brill breakfasts. Very convenient for the V & A Waterfront and the old city centre. It is not dangerous to walk around Cape Town (maybe don’t rush to Cape Flats area). Would certainly go again to this hotel. I said I would when I left to which they replied “certainly, this is your home now”. It felt like it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Sugar Hotel at the end of October. I can't say enough about it. The hotel itself is beautifully decorated and close to the city center and the V&A waterfront. Travelling alone I was a bit afraid of the size of the room. That fear is uncalled for at the Sugar, I had a huge room with an equally fully equipped and well sized bathroom.

The service you receive at the Sugar is nothing short of five stars. Nkosi and Oncemore are always helpful in providing advice, checking availability or opening hours and basically anything you wish. I had forgotten to make a reservation at La Mouette (another must when you are visiting Cape Town), and miracaly Nkosi got me the reservation in, called the taxi and gave me enought time for a quick freshen up. Also, when contemplating where to go, they are honest as to what is a do but also what is a don't which is greatly appreciated.

The breakfast is fab. I am generally not a breakfast person, but now I am a believer. The breakfast starts with fresh fruit salad and yoghurt with honey and muesli. There is a choice of a number of hot breakfasts to follow. The french toast is great as is the omlets with filling of your choice but the eggs benedict is the best I have had, that hollandaise is bang on the money.

The spa at the hotel is a treat. Crystal will make sure you are relaxed and looking your absolute best. My headache that was bugging me for ages, was gone after my session with Crystal who is just a joy to have a chat with.

In short, when visting Cape Town all you need is Sugar.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Silvia G
Carmel Valley, California
Reviewed 28 October 2013

My wife and I stayed four wonderful nights at this smaller boutique hotel. The staff was simply excellent! They made us feel very welcome. Fantastic service to all our needs, questions, with great recommendations. The breakfasts were absolutely delicious. We were up and off enjoying the Cape Town area sights every day. Great location, an excellent base for exploring and walking to V&A waterfront. Everything was perfect for us.

Tom & Lisa
Carmel Valley, California
USA

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tjneu
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I enjoyed my stay at this small and cosy hotel i CT, Location is good and nice with secure parking and walking distance to many things. Staff was great and breakfast super!
I will for sure consider to stay at this place again on my next visit to CT

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Vancouver
Reviewed 5 October 2013

My partner and I just returned from an amazing tour of South Africa. For our time in Cape Town we stayed 6 nights at the Sugar Hotel. This is a small boutique hotel, and the hotel itself, as well as the room, was absolutely beautiful. The decor in the lobby is very African chic and definitely easy on the eyes. The rooms are very large and perfectly appointed. The bathroom is HUGE. I have to say the bed at Sugar Hotel is one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept in. I don't know if I was just exhausted by the daily tours but as soon as my body hit the bed I was out like a light. Oncemore was excellent from check-in to check-out. The rest of the staff was also amazing. The kitchen staff was very friendly and we actually looked forward to the wonderful breakfasts each morning (the granola and yogurt was to die for). The only complaint I would have doesn't really have much to do with the hotel itself, but the area it was located in. During the day it was a 15 minute walk to the Waterfront, but other then that there really isn't much around the De Waterkant area. And in the evening the area seems somewhat unsafe to walk around. We were actually accosted quite frequently for money, at one point rather forcefully. Once we figured this out it wasn't anything common sense and a quick taxi ride didn't fix, however if you want to walk around in the evening and feel safe this location probably isn't for you. But again, I don't fault the hotel for their location and if you don't want the hustle and bustle of a Waterfront hotel we would definitely recommend a stay at the beautiful Sugar Hotel! Thanks Mark, Oncemore and all the staff; we had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: Room 5 was excellent.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yvrjeff
Aire-la-Ville, Switzerland
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I've been going to this hotel for a few years now on business and I've always been very pleased with my stays. The hotel staff is warm and welcoming, always happy to help. The location is good (despite being "on the road") as it's close to the V&A Waterfront, it is close to the new stadium and fairly close to the ocean (good for runners). The rooms are very nice and spacious with a very nice bathroom with separate bath and shower. Breakfasts are nice too. They can prepare lunch and/or dinner but you need to warn them in advance as there's not a permanent chef. The massage therapists are usually good. There is free parking (limited space though). The downside would be due to the fact that it is a small boutique hotel so some services that you find in large hotels (business center, gym, ...) may not be there but I still recommend this hotel, it is good value.

Room Tip: Rooms 6 or 7 are the best.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business