“An excellent hotel!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #52 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Nairobi
“An excellent hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2009

My wife and I stayed one night at the Sugar Hotel and were most pleasantly surprised and delighted! It is an awesome hotel, tastefully furnished and decorated. The rooms are very comfortable and well-laid out. The staff were very friendly and accommodating, and keen to meet our every need. I also liked that it is small and ensures personal attention.
The location is excellent - only 10 or so minutes from the waterfront where shopping, restaurants and great sites abound.

An amazing place and would gladly recommend it.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2009

A very modern & stylish hotel. Conveniently located for V& A Watefront and city centre. All the staff were friendly and very helpful. Our room at the front of the hotel was large and tastefully decorated. Although on a main road the noise was never intrusive.
Our only small criticism would be that the food in the dining room was a bit of a 'hit & miss' affair. If we were visiting the hotel again we would probably opt for a room only basis.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2009

Very comfortable hotel with a very friendly staff who will give a personal attention to anything that you need in Cape Town or even outside Cape Town.
The whole staff is very helpful from the cleaning and maintenance crew to the reception and the owner himself. The location is very good and it's about 15-20 min from the water front if you like to walk. We planned all of our trips and site seeing through the reception staff who recommended everything from places, tours and tour offices along with a good taxi service in case we needed one. The room size is very good and the design is very cozy and modern. It's very likely that I will book in this hotel again the next time I'm in the Mother City.

tjmm11
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2009

We really got lucky with our choice of Sugar.

We wanted something near the Waterfront, and this hotel fit the bill. We were greeted upon entering the private parking area. While the staff helped me up to the room, my husband went to check out the pool and restaurant. When I walked into the room, I was very pleasantly surprised--it was huge and extremely modern but inviting. The bathroom was also enormous and had heated floors. Large flat-screen TV, full stereo system with surround sound speakers, a working fireplace... It had everything we needed and many things we wanted. When I found my husband at the pool, the restaurant owners were treating him to a complementary drink and giving him sight-seeing recommendations.

The staff helped us with everything we needed, and they were so incredibly friendly. They made reservations, marked best routes on maps, etc. This is why we prefer small hotels: When you find a good one, they treat you like family.

We ate breakfast at the restaurant several times, and it was great. We ate dinner there our first night -- too tired to go out -- and we were a little surprised at the lack of a menu or other patrons, but the food that the owner made for us was really, really good. I can't understand why the restaurant seems empty all the time, but apparently it's undergoing some changes. I hope they find their groove and get smart with their marketing, because the space is lovely, the people are wonderful, and the food was really good.

We did one spa treatment and were underwhelmed. It just didn't meet the quality that we were accustomed to at metropolitan spas in the States.

One note: I wasn't entirely sure what to expect because the hotel's web site seems to prefer artsy close-up shots that don't show you anything about the hotel rather than wide shots that would actually show these fantastic rooms. I have no idea why they do that; I'm certain they'd snag more customers much more easily if they updated the photos on their site.

Bottom line: We loved our time there and hope to go back.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2009

We had a fabulous stay at the Sugar Hotel and Spa and came away feeling totally relaxed and so well looked after. On leaving, the restaurant staff and hotel staff felt like friends who had made us feel so welcome, had treated us so well and made us feel like Cape Town was the best place on earth. The rooms were immaculate and modern in design - for me, the bathroom were the best feature of the room - with the wet room approach and heated floors that had spot lights. Overall I found the rooms a little too dark for my liking.
It was the passion of the two guys in the restaurant that really stole the show for me - their enthusiasm for what they do and for life in general is infectious. They cater for you individually depending on what you feel like eating and the dishes we had were absolutely delicious. You can't help but leave the restaurant and the hotel with a big smile on your face.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2009

In Capetown over the weekend. A good hotel. Location ok, just a 10 minute walk down to the waterfront, and a few good restaurants just down the road. Check-in was standard, for some reason my Amex would not work there (did everywhere else in SA), so lucky I had a MC also. Found my room really comfortable. Everything felt new. Decor was a modern steel grey look. Large flat screen TV, stereo system. Large bathroom, large balcony with own private swimming pool, but pool quite small so swimming is actually impossible! My one complaint about the room is that the bed is really short. I stand 182cm, and my feet and ankles hung off the end of the bed. Never experienced this before. Free wi-fi was great, but needed resetting by reception a couple times per day. The hotel has a boutique bar and restaurant, Le Tique (seperate onwership and management) , which appears to only have hotel guests frequent it, despite being open to the public. It is only very new, so perhaps early days. The restaurant owner, Anton is a very hospitable young man, and really went out of his way to ensure my stay was pleasant; offering meals to suit my palate, advice on sightseeing etc. It is probably because of him, that I left the hotel with a very positive attitude about it. Check-out was smooth, and even had the Hotel owner introduce himself and assist with my luggage. Very likely to return.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2009

Excellent hotel with very friendly service. Rooms not very large, but have a nice terrace - some also with a small pool. Location is ok, although I recommend taxis for waterfront and long street (walking distance 20-25 minutes). Internet in all rooms.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business