17 on Loader Guest House
Ranked #125 of 156 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I stayed in a previous guest house which was supposedly one star higher, but I found 17 on Loader to be very modern, clean and with very good facilities. It is also located in a great location with commanding views from the roof top terrace.

I received a pre-arrival email from Ben the live in Manager which was very professional and upon greeting me on arrival, confirmed that the service was well above par. Small touches made a difference, such as a fully stocked shared kitchen with honesty system and a very good breakfast with freshly cooked bread and a basket placed outside your door in the morning.

I travel frequently and have been genuinely impressed.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank RGM79

Reviewed 23 March 2012

I recently booked accomodation for my mom for 3 nights & we were all nervous since it was her 1st time in CT but the staff & managers at 17 on Loader were awesome & very helpful. I was very impressed with how they hosted her & she tells me the place looks stunning. So i will definetely stay there next time i'm in CT.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank CarolLe20
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I actually arrived sick at the guesthouse and we had booked room 17 C which doesn't have external windows and no air-conditioning. The room is very small and feels a little claustrophobic. The staff was very attentive and Benjamin tried his best to get us another room as we had booked for four nights. He actually managed to get us the nicest and biggest room, 19 A, for the last two days and even apologized with a bottle of champagne that he couldn't move us earlier. That was very sweet and we actually very much enjoyed our stay despite the sickness. The idea of finding your breakfast basket in front of the room was nice every morning, but unfortunately there was very little in the basket and there wasn't any extra bread. We usually had a second breakfast outside. There is free, safe parking behind the guesthouse, which is very handy as parking is sparse in Waterkant. Unfortunately you have to pay for wifi. As there are plenty of cafes and restaurants with free wifi we didn't use that service. Big compliments to the staff and a special thanks to Benjamin.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We stayed at this guest house for 2 nights in July, 2011. The hotel was recommended to us by a friend from Pretoria. The hotel was perfect. It was very conveniently located in a fun and interesting central neighbourhood. Our room was pretty and beautifully decorated. In fact, the whole hotel was beautiful, clean, and quiet. Derek, the owner, was gracious and helpful. A breakfast basket is left by your door in the morning, which you can take up to the roof-top patio and enjoy the glorious view of the ocean and Table Mountain. Breafast was simple but good. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelsWithoutCharli
Reviewed 25 February 2012

the room is so small that there is no place for your suitecase. The staff is very helpfull and nice. The location is very good. The breakfast was very poor. Every day different (1 croissant + 1 roll one day, 2 croissants the other day and that for 2 persons!!).
Good secure parking behind the building.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2012

very pleasent stay with friendly Owner Ben. Every time again...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Cape Town respite

You will have to look hard to find a better home-away-from-home in Cape Town than this spot: 17 On Loader Guest House. I have stayed in Green Point, Bantry Bay and elsewhere in the ‘Mother city’ – but this is my top choice for value and proximity to hot spots.
Owner Derek [] and manager Ben made me feel welcome (despite arriving close to midnight on a Sunday), while the house staff, Anthony and Barbara saw to the small things really count (early-morning breakfast baskets – the correct adapter for my phone charger, etc). There’s a nice selection of rooms (singles and doubles) every one is different and graciously appointed, all with easy access to the common rooms and street-front views. Though I found eating out at local restaurants more enticing [Andiamo at Cape Quarter is excellent for Italian everything and lively every night of the week – go to Soho for the sushi!], I would have been tempted to make use of the excellent kitchen in the main house. Next time.

Though I could only stay six days, I wish I’d had another week to enjoy the top-drawer amenities.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo