“Cozy :)”

Cat and Moose Backpackers
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I spent 4 nights there at a private room. The building was a little old but really clean place and friendly staff. Complete set of utensiles in kitchen. Daily services for room cleaning and you can even ask for "no entry in my room". Great...

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Az Z

Reviewed 31 March 2014

We slept three nights in Cat and Moose in March 2014. We really liked this hostel. We arrived late at night and the guy at the entrance helped us with finding a safe parking lot. They take security very seriously (gate with pincode, report at the reception that you have a room). We didn't feel unsafe. Large kitchen and nice garden. Large balcony with view on Long Street, which you have to share with the dorm. Double room is spacious, good beds. Location is really good: walking distance from nice bars and restaurants (try Masala Dosa, really good Indian food!), close to Table Mountain and the beach. No noise from Long Street. Recommended hostel for backpackers!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ilse90
Reviewed 18 March 2014

As I have recently relocated to Cape Town, I am currently residing in a backpackers until month-end. I booked and paid a Longstreet backpackers - Cat and Moose Backpackers Lodge - for the night of 17-03-2014 and same was confirmed yet when I arrived that evening I was bluntly told my room was given to someone else and I could have my money back - I WAS TOLD THIS AT 22:00, WITH NOWHERE TO GO, NO INTERNET ACCESS OR TRANSPORT!!!! When I demanded to speak to the owner I was told he would be there in the morning! I was then mistreated by 'security' as well as threatened and then rudely told 'we may cancel a booking at any time we want'. This to me is the most blatant form of disregard for the safety and well being of a human being - they couldn't care less that I had NOWHERE to go and there was ZERO reason to give my paid-for room away - that's the strangest part of all! Thank goodness the person who dropped me off was waiting outside to see I got in safely, however when we drove away, one of the security people banged her car window hard! I have left a message for the owner to call me but still nothing! BE WARNED: CAT AND MOOSE BACKPACKERS WILL CANCEL YOUR PAID-BOOKING AT THEIR LEISURE

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Pman054
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Located at the top of long street this backpackers may not be as new as some of the other hostels, but its Retro feel, court yard and spacious rooms make up for it. Secure, kitchen facilities, a lounge room, TV, wifi make it good value. Day trips can be arranged we went on the cape and wine tours and could not fault them. Staff were extremely helpful in organising stuff for us and very friendly.

Room Tip: Twin room at back with shared bathroom
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2013

It's real that they do have a cat and a "moose" there. A great location and they have a lovely inner-garden. The staff were also helpful and the place was always clean. Value for money!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I stayed at Cat and Moose towards the beginning of May. This was a great hostel for meeting other travellers, perfectly located for exploring Cape Town and really convenient for heading out along Long Street in the evenings.

The hostel staff were helpful and were able to arrange really good trips, ie cheap and a huge emphasis on having fun. The offers down at the V&A waterfront were a lot more expensive and also seemed to be more limited.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

Cat and Moose is in an excellent location on Long Street. It is near coffee shops, restaurants, and sights. It is rustic but comfortable. We didn't find it as friendly as most hostels.

Cat and Moose is good value and comfortable enough if you just want a place to sleep.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple