I really had high hopes for this property. Unfortunately, they failed to meet those expectations.
We booked directly with the hotel and hotel staff to INSURE we had a QUEEN DELUXE waiting for us upon our arrival. After traveling 28 hours, exhausted, sweaty, and grumpy, we were greeted (fairly friendly) and told that we were being up up NOT in the main lodge we reserved, but up in the Villa. SO....with luggage in tow, we dragged our tired asses up to the Villa (NOT a lighted or close walk). The villa appeared very nice but was NOT what we reserved. We purposely needed to be in the main lodge for location and safety.
After much ado, the host make some moves and we dragged our stuff BACK to the lodge and were put up in a QUEEN room. A shoebox of a room. We were told the QUEEN Deluxe we reserved, and had printed confirmation, was not available. Needless-to-say, we were not happy.
The Host was hospitable but made no effort or consessions to accomondate us other than this shoebox of a room. Even the TV didn't work until the day we checked out.
The property itself, is charming and perfectly located in the village. Which was the reason we chose it. The upkeep needs some work. They put fine details into the design but often not practical. Ants were a problem in public areas. The shower and bathroom tile were in need or repair. But all that is fixable.
The service was decent. The Host was a hard-working guy who was always available....just not in tune with the guests needs. Neither was the owner who we met over drinks. They're great people who simply need to know how to read their guest better. And be honest. We heard this comment from several other guests.
I think I would recommend this to others, however, I'd highly recommend confirming multiple of times your reservation for the appropriate room. The location is sketchy (as most of in-town Cape Town is). Everything locks down at night. But they're used to it. We were even insulted at the hotel pool by one of the owners friends who was there drinking calling us scared Americans. Well....there are reasons for burgular bars on every window.
I wish them luck! Its a great property with great potential. Just needs some clean up to detail and service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centred in the heart of De Waterkant Village The Village Lodge, The Townhouse suites, The Villa and De Waterkant Cottages have gained a strong reputation for providing high quality accommodation. All rooms are en-suite and are equipped with satellite TV, direct dial telephones, safes and wireless internet. The Villa, Townhouse suites and cottages offer guests their own private space with home comforts in unique individually styled properties. Reception, restaurant, pools, bars and designer home style shop. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Village Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Village Lodge Portfolio Hotel Cape Town Central
- The Village Hotel Portfolio
- Village Hotel Cape Town
- The Village Lodge Cape Town, South Africa