“absolutely ghastly and awful”
Review of The Village Lodge

and 1 more site!
The Village Lodge
Ranked #108 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 4 November 2013

What ever you do, do not book into this place. It was absolutely terrible. We had booked for 4 nights but checked out before 8 the following morning after our first night. The room was poky, dark and dingy, the duvet cover did not fit the duvet so half of it was tucked under the bed. The basin was blocked and there was a dirty bucket with who knows what which was soaking in it for who knows how long before we arrived. I have never stayed in such an awful place in all my life.

There was no coffee or facilities in the room, and when i asked where we would get coffee from they said for an extra R100 we could have coffee in the morning at the so called eating place in the doorway of the main entrance.

The one night stay was a nightmare and after explaining why we were checking out they still refused to refund us our deposit which we had paid upfront.

i am surprised this place is still running

Room Tip: do not choose any room
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Mretief

Reviewed 16 October 2013

I was used to stay at the lodge every time I come to Cape Town since 2008. Since the management changed the professionalism dropped down time by time. No power in the room for over 24 hours. No check in at arrival after 5 PM. Internet not working properly. Worst thing still had to happen tho: I got over 800 USD stolen from the safe in my room. No accountability from the management, who should be responsible for the safety of your belongings left in a looked room and locked safe. Now waiting for a pending case from the South African Police Service. Just do not go there if you care about your belongings.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Alex T
Reviewed 29 September 2013

The online photos looked great. In reality, it looked neglected. The rooms were ok, and the breakfast ok. We appreciate that we arrived at the end of winter, but the hotel looked like it was practically closed. The apparently wonderful roof top pool was covered on green algae.

It is probably worth staying in during the high season, but not as good during the low season.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Scott D
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I want to say thanks to Eric and his staff. You're service was great & we really enjoyed our stay a lot. It was a great place and you all where very helpful. The food was also delicious. Thanks for a wonderful stay & for your hospitallity. Will definitly come stay there when we are in Cape Town again

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I am rating the sky bar, not the accommodation. The setting and view are simply amazing. Great spot for a warm summer evening. I had drinks there for my birthday and loved it. It can get a bit busy, though! It is situated in a nice and lively area of Cape Town.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I first stayed at The Village Lodge back in 2010 and was looking forward to revisiting. Things have not changed too much since then, although The Sky Bar roof terrace has shrunk. Never the less we had a warm welcome and enjoyed chilling out with friends in the pool. Breakfast is served until 11am which is very civilized. Benson (the manager) was very friendly as were all of the staff.

Room Tip: Room 7 is quiet and comfortable
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 December 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE! The Village Lodge is a disaster...

I first stayed at the Village Lodge in 2010, and had a very positive experience. So when I went to book again for December 2012 and saw lots of negative reviews on TripAdvisor.com, I was surprised and thought that maybe reviewers were just being picky. I booked two rooms - one for me, and one for my parents - for a total of 21 nights, at a value of over $2,000 for the hotel. What I found on arrival was just appalling. First, my parents arrived in the late evening and found only a guard sleeping across two chairs in the entryway - nobody at reception. Their bed was left without pillowcases, and they had no hand towels in their room. That was the first of many challenges getting towels for the rooms throughout our stay, including one fight to get towels for the hotel's own pool! Other problems include broken toilets and sinks, non-functioning outlets, a broken fridge, a filthy terrace, and on and on. There's a Chinese manager who spends his days shouting at the cleaning staff at the reception. The worst was when I asked him to book me a taxi and when I asked a question he said, "you don't understand because you're American", followed by laughing in my face. When I complained, he told me that he did everything I asked, like my laundry and printing something for me (things that hotels do...). Throughout my stay I saw several other guests complaining and sitting at the reception trying to resolve booking problems.

Other items to note:
- No DSTV (only three channels)
- Dirty linens and sheets with holes in them
- Irresponsible cleaning staff who constantly make mistakes and forget do do things
- Noisy rooftop bar.
- Indifferent management who simply don't care to make any improvements.

The one thing this hotel has going for it is its location. That's it. But that does not by any means redeem the hotel from all of the other problems. As I said from the beginning, DON'T STAY HERE. If you do, you'll regret it.

Epic fail...