“Only good thing is the location!”
Review of The Village Lodge

The Village Lodge
Ranked #109 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 4 January 2009

The one and only good thing about this hotel is the location. Right in the center of de waterkaant neighborhood which is great for all the gay bars and some good restaurants. It sure is nice to walk a block or two home instead of the cab ride.
BUT ---
We had a "luxury room" and I was told this would be the largest room in the hotel. The only thing luxury about the room might be the designer pillows on the bed. There was about 2-3 feet of room around the bed and then some storage space. The air conditioner was stuck on one temperature and one fan speed (luckily this temp worked for us.) There were light bulbs out in the bathroom. The safe was broken and thus unusable. The carpet was dirty, The headboard was dirty.
The upstairs pool area had lots of potential in the dark. But during the day it looked disgustingly dirty. The pads for the lounge chairs were filthy! The loungers themselves were a cool looking wicker which would be nice but people had stuck candy wrappers and cigarette butts into them. This was not a pleasant place to hang out by the pool or even sit for a cocktail. It just felt very dirty.

• Stayed: January 2009
2  Thank Steves_Rickshaw

Reviewed 19 December 2008

I had stayed at the Village Lodge a year earlier. The first time I stayed there in 2007 I chose one of their managed properties and loved it (86 Waterkant St). So I booked it again almost a year in advance. It was the most expensive of the Village Lodge townhouses. They took a 50% deposit in February of 2008.

When I arrived I was made to pay the remaining 50% and to wait several hours (fine, check in is at 3pm) but was then taken to a completely different property than the one I had reserved. I was then told that the one I had reserved had been 8 months ago. Exhausted, I spent the first night at the substitute property and in the meantime asked that the manager, Rodney, call me on my mobile phone as I was not happy. I received no call that day. The office manager asked that I come to the office at 11am the next day.

The next morning the staff made me wait another 2 hours for the manager who, when he arrived, proceeded to tell me in the most condescending manner that the "terms and conditions" of the hotel say that they can substitute accommodations at any time (untrue-written nowhere). I told him that that logic would prevail if similar or better accommodations were offered. He told me that I had been brought to a "better" townhouse.

Fortunately for me I was connected to the internet in the cafe and I looked at the website. The 86 Waterkant St. property was STILL LISTED and the property I was told was of the "same caliber" was 40% cheaper (big surprise). Only when I showed him this on my laptop and when I told him bluntly that he had two choices- to issue me a refund immediately or spend the next few months dealing with paperwork from Amex did he retreat...in fact he disappeared and another staff member came to tell me they would issue me a credit for the monies paid less the first night.

I wasted an entire day of my vacation dealing with their management. Caveat emptor... It's a shame because the cafe/restaurant staff are very friendly and the restaurant is fantastic. And the office managers are very professional. Where things go awry is that the owners/senior managers have poor business practices/organization/management in place.

As a small business owner myself I understand how difficult it is to run a business-- and a service-based business is even more difficult. I always hesitate before casting judgment. But in this case what I observed was arrogance and deception.

Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank paestum70
Reviewed 10 December 2008

I booked through booking.com where there was a choice between the "standard queen" and the "villa luxury queen". The luxury one was 33% more expensive but I chose this one as the descritpion was very nice (private terrace or direct access to the pool...)
When I arrived, they gave me a tiny tiny room (8sqm) next to the reception with no balcony and no direct access to the pool but very noisy.
When we asked them to fix this they said that the villa had a problem with a leak and that they will try to move us soon. I then discussed with other clients who were staying at the Villa and said that it was fulll...
I asked them to charge me for a standard room but they refused stating that they would charge me for the amonunt put on my confirmation (which confirmation had the Villa Luxury Room on it...).
Last, the hotel is overlooking a huge block that is being built and workers arrive at 7 am.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank lebde
Reviewed 28 May 2008

We stayed at the Village Lodge in December for a few days.
I had an idea of the property from pictures I had viewed and was quite excited to be staying somewhere so luxurious, seeing as we where budgeting for most of our stay in Cape Town.
When we arrived the place was just as I had pictured and I felt really pleased. When we were taken to our room I was taken back at just how small it was - especially as it was the most expensive hotel we had booked on our trip, and the most expensive room in the hotel. The bathroom was so small we couldn't dry ourselves in there after the shower. The hotel was also very impersonal as you always had people outside in the courtyard working or just walking up and down the stairs and we could hear everything.
However the hotel is very clean, in a great location, the staff are absolutely great and breakfast was really fresh and it was lovely to just sit outside and contemplate your movements for the day.
There is also a huge development next to the hotel, this made it very dusty and noisey - not the hotel owners fault. The view from the top of the hotel was fantastic of Table Mountain and the surrounding area. The pool is really a dipping pool and not great for a swim - bit small, but the rooftop is a suntrap and great for a golden tan, lots of very comfortable beds to lay on with a bar upthere also.
I did not feel threatened going out at all around the area, we did however have a bit of a bad experience with my partner who had his drink spiked - lucky we were together as I took him back to the hotel where he was very ill all the next day.
I would recommend the hotel but just for gay men and couples, not families and older people.
I must point out though that a friend did stay at the villa owned by the village lodge and highly recommends that to people visiting Cape Town.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank flower6UK
Reviewed 20 March 2008

We were pleasantly surpised by the accomodation. The room was compact and could have done with a bit more storage space but the bed was comfy the a/c worked and was cool and the staff were very friendly.

This is in the gay quarter but don't be put off, its not in your face. There are plenty of places around the Watekant area to eat and drink (particularly the Cape Quarter) and the V&A and capetown centre are only a 10 minute walk away or at night a very cheap taxi ride.

I've stayed in better but not at these prices and both me and my finace were very pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2008

- very small room with nearly no storage space
- well designed but not very functional interior design
- even the hotel is almost new (guess 2 or 3 years) already very shabby

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hamburg007
Reviewed 20 January 2008

We booked a superior room with different amenities such as safe, mini-bar, balcony etc. The booking was confirmed with a detailed description. But we got a small room with a view to a tiny backyard and high rising wall without any of the described amenities above. After complaining the manager told us that the room we got were a superior room and he showed us another very poor equipped room with no extras to make us quiet and wanted to keep the high rate being confident that we do not know the difference. After that we showed him our confirmation listing all the extras of the superior room. Then he told us some other stories still to keep the rate. When we insisted to get the room we booked, he explained their double booking on the room. The guests who got the room stayed longer than us. Because we had no other choice we accepted a discount. We felt betrayed and we really don’t recommend this place as long as the management has not been changed.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple