“mixed feelings”

Ranked #104 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Boston
“mixed feelings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2009

Its a trendy small hotel, right near the gay bars. Pros: Very trendy rooms, nice breakfast, good a/c. Cons: They is a HUGE construction project next door, and the hammering starts at 8am, AC in our room made some annoying clicking sound every 4 minutes, rooms are small! Also, this area is not so fantastic after dark, some hustling going on in the streets it seems, but it is a busy area. Few nice places to eat and drink nearby, but after a day or two you will want to venture elsewhere anyways. Another peeve, was when we arrived for our 4 day stay, we were told they were shooting a commercial up on the room (this is bascially the only public space at the hotel) for the next 3 days -- so we could not use the roofdeck or pool - that would have led me to stay elsewhere if I had been given warning. After the fact, not so bad, and the pool is TINY and its not somewhere to really hang out for the day...but it is cool at night, with the bar and views. Staff was very friendly and helpful, but one morning after breakfast we returned to our room being cleaned -- and we had to wait almost 30 min for her to finish --ugh. I recommend only with caveats.

Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Derby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2009

really nice hotel, good location friendly staff and great value for money

• Liked — price - rooms
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2009

On arrival we were told that our reserved room had been double booked and that we were being 'upgraded' to a room in the villa owned by the hotel - several minutes walk away. The room at the villa was pleasant enough but we were still disappointed not be in the main hotel and were kept awake by the noisy pool waterfall which ran throughout the night. Next day we checked into the hotel itself and found the room there to be adequate if a little unmemorable. Location is great and view from the roof-top pool is amazing. All in all I would say The Village Lodge is an okay place to stay but beware the booking procedures. Staff will try to fob you off with half baked excuses about why you cannot stay in the room you booked!

• Liked — View from the pool, location
  • Disliked — Poor service at check-in
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2009

Our greeting at the hotel was that we had no booking and weren't expecting us, despite the fact that they had arranged our transport from the airport. Fortunately I had the printout of the booking with me and eventually things were sorted out. We stayed at The Villa, part of the porfolio which is supposed to be a luxury 5 bedroom house. We had booked the most expensive type of room. The room had plaster falling off the walls, our room was beside the waterfall part of the swimming pool which was left running all night, so therefore difficult to get to sleep, the lock to the patio door worked but was very insecure, not very good in Cape Town. The sun loungers literally fell apart as soon as you lifted the back support. The cushions on the sun loungers were FILTHY, I wouldn't let my dogs sleep on them. We were very early on told that the place was full, so there was no point asking to be moved. Staff were generally unhelpful and didn' t seem to know what they were doing, except for one young woman who was the only saving grace. It took 20 minutes to get a cup of tea at breakfast. We also went to the pool area one day at the main Village lodge. Again the sunloungers are filthy and dangerous and I echo what another reviewer said that it generally felt dirty.
We asked for the password to the wireless network and were told there wasn;t one at the villa. It was only when I said that I knew there was as I had seen the router and was being prompted for the password did they give me one, although the attitude as that I was mad for asking for it and obviously wrong. We were so glad that we were only staying for 3 nights before moving on. My partner had stayed at this hotel 3 years ago and coudln't believe how run down the place had become. We certainly wont stay there again and would recommend that you find somewhere else

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank petersitges

Travellers are raving about these Cape Town Central hotels

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2009

The one and only good thing about this hotel is the location. Right in the center of de waterkaant neighborhood which is great for all the gay bars and some good restaurants. It sure is nice to walk a block or two home instead of the cab ride.
BUT ---
We had a "luxury room" and I was told this would be the largest room in the hotel. The only thing luxury about the room might be the designer pillows on the bed. There was about 2-3 feet of room around the bed and then some storage space. The air conditioner was stuck on one temperature and one fan speed (luckily this temp worked for us.) There were light bulbs out in the bathroom. The safe was broken and thus unusable. The carpet was dirty, The headboard was dirty.
The upstairs pool area had lots of potential in the dark. But during the day it looked disgustingly dirty. The pads for the lounge chairs were filthy! The loungers themselves were a cool looking wicker which would be nice but people had stuck candy wrappers and cigarette butts into them. This was not a pleasant place to hang out by the pool or even sit for a cocktail. It just felt very dirty.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed January 2009
2 Thank Steves_Rickshaw
Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2008

I had stayed at the Village Lodge a year earlier. The first time I stayed there in 2007 I chose one of their managed properties and loved it (86 Waterkant St). So I booked it again almost a year in advance. It was the most expensive of the Village Lodge townhouses. They took a 50% deposit in February of 2008.

When I arrived I was made to pay the remaining 50% and to wait several hours (fine, check in is at 3pm) but was then taken to a completely different property than the one I had reserved. I was then told that the one I had reserved had been 8 months ago. Exhausted, I spent the first night at the substitute property and in the meantime asked that the manager, Rodney, call me on my mobile phone as I was not happy. I received no call that day. The office manager asked that I come to the office at 11am the next day.

The next morning the staff made me wait another 2 hours for the manager who, when he arrived, proceeded to tell me in the most condescending manner that the "terms and conditions" of the hotel say that they can substitute accommodations at any time (untrue-written nowhere). I told him that that logic would prevail if similar or better accommodations were offered. He told me that I had been brought to a "better" townhouse.

Fortunately for me I was connected to the internet in the cafe and I looked at the website. The 86 Waterkant St. property was STILL LISTED and the property I was told was of the "same caliber" was 40% cheaper (big surprise). Only when I showed him this on my laptop and when I told him bluntly that he had two choices- to issue me a refund immediately or spend the next few months dealing with paperwork from Amex did he retreat...in fact he disappeared and another staff member came to tell me they would issue me a credit for the monies paid less the first night.

I wasted an entire day of my vacation dealing with their management. Caveat emptor... It's a shame because the cafe/restaurant staff are very friendly and the restaurant is fantastic. And the office managers are very professional. Where things go awry is that the owners/senior managers have poor business practices/organization/management in place.

As a small business owner myself I understand how difficult it is to run a business-- and a service-based business is even more difficult. I always hesitate before casting judgment. But in this case what I observed was arrogance and deception.

Stayed December 2008
1 Thank paestum70
Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2008

I booked through booking.com where there was a choice between the "standard queen" and the "villa luxury queen". The luxury one was 33% more expensive but I chose this one as the descritpion was very nice (private terrace or direct access to the pool...)
When I arrived, they gave me a tiny tiny room (8sqm) next to the reception with no balcony and no direct access to the pool but very noisy.
When we asked them to fix this they said that the villa had a problem with a leak and that they will try to move us soon. I then discussed with other clients who were staying at the Villa and said that it was fulll...
I asked them to charge me for a standard room but they refused stating that they would charge me for the amonunt put on my confirmation (which confirmation had the Villa Luxury Room on it...).
Last, the hotel is overlooking a huge block that is being built and workers arrive at 7 am.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Disliked — Dishonest.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business