“Chic designer guest house & friendly atmosphere”
Review of The Village Lodge

and 1 more site!
The Village Lodge
Ranked #107 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 18 January 2007

I have just returned from an amazing trip in South Africa. The highlight of my trip was the safari and my trip to Cape Town. What made Cape Town so special was the Village Lodge. I was recommended this hotel by some friends in Sydney. This is a great designer guest house right in the middle of the Wanderkant a vibrant area with pastel coloured houses centrally located in Cape Town. The rooms are not huge but they are not "shoe boxes" either and well equipped with plasma screen tvs, AC, stylish bathroom. My room even had its own private terrace that was almost the same size as my bedroom. The owner Rodney is a really nice chap and extremely helpfull & friendly which made my stay even more enjoyable. The staff are young and eager to help. The Thai Restaurant SOHO served some of the best Thai food I have eaten in a long time. I am already thinking of my next trip to SA and will be staying the the Village Lodge again!!

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled solo

Reviewed 18 January 2007

Having read the reviews here I feel I need to add some balance as I enjoyed an excellent stay at the Village Lodge in January 2007.

I arrived on New Year's Day at around 13.30hrs. Check in was fine and the lady a delight considering a) my own shocking state and b) that the hotel and area had very obviously had a good NYE!

It is true that they take the full amount of the room cost on arrival. Whilst this is not "normal" practice in every hotel I've ever stayed in I can only assume that Rodney has had to impliment this at "peak season" for commercial reasons. With a limited number of rooms to sell the principals of yield management are hugely important - cancellation of a booking at short notice can have dramatic impact on revenue and is generally covered by cancellation charges. The Village Lodge is a business after all not a charity.

I was shown to a cottage just along from reception on Waterkant Street. I had a perfectly decent double room; sharing the rest of the facilities of the cottage (drawing room; kitchen; roof deck with shower). The whole cottage was immaculately clean - the bathroom especially. Housekeeping was fine for the three days with clean sheets, towels etc daily.

I had use of the facilities of the Lodge - bar, restaurant (more below) and the pool. Whilst not the most spacious pool area there is room to relax on the sunbeds and the plunge pool itself was perfect for cooling off.

The restaurant is a delight. Having spent a month at the Banyan Tree in Phuket a couple of years ago the Thai food served with style and care by the staff is as good as any you can find in Thailand.

I cannot make comment about Breakfast as I took mine sitting outside the Village Cafe on the opposite corner (this was purely as the sun caught the tables there and not at the Lodge).

I know the hotel industry inside out and have stayed in some of the finest (and most expensive) properties around the world the past 20 years. The Village Lodge doesn't claim to be an Amman or Banyan Tree or a Four Seasons. It is simply a great small, boutique style "Lodge" with some perfectly decent, comfortable, clean rooms at a very decent price.

Rodney is not a Hotelier by trade - he is however an excellent host. I know that he recognises that despite the huge positive changes that he has made in the lodge over the past 4 years there are still areas that could do with improvement. This is not unique - the level of service and "value for money" I received in a Leading Hotel of the World in Switzerland last year still has me stunned (and not because I was so impressed!).

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled solo
4  Thank qualitytraveller
Reviewed 18 January 2007

The Village Lodge Portfolio is a breath of fresh air from staying in your standard guest house or self catering unit. Just between the City and GreenPoint and below Signal Hill they have a trendy Guest House with a great Thai Restaurant and a pool on the roof with the best views of Cape Town.
My room was modern and had all the mod-cons, Wifi, mini-bars,
satellite tv.
For our last view days friends joined us and we moved to one
of their luxury cottages. We had our own dining room, kitchen with
our own private pool. The housekeeping staff were so friendly and I I would advise anyone who is looking for an alternative place to stay without attitude or fuss then to definitely check out this place.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Danish_traveller10
Reviewed 15 January 2007

My main reason for giving the hotel just one star is that from my own personal experience the management treat the paying customer with utter contempt.

On the plus side this hotel is in a good location and with the exception of the very smallest rooms it proves nice accomodation.

Sadly the negatives greatly outweigh those positives.

While making our booking, the owner Rodney was extremely helpful, he explained that it was run by him and his partner and so we expected a hands-on approach. Unfortunately, our experience could not have been further from this.

On arrivial Rodney wasn't around and the process of trying to simply get a room was a shambles with a member of staff first saying that they did not have us booked to stay at all and then later saying that they had been expecting us the day before.

When we asked to speak with Rodney we were told he would be around later to answer any questions we had. We were subsequently told that he was out of the country.

When booking our stay at the hotel, Rodney had suggested we could move from one of their smallest rooms to a cottage in time for New Years Eve.

On Dec 31st we were set to move to a cottage when the person seemingly in charge that day told us firstly that we would have to share a cottage since they were over-booked.

When we refused this 'offer', he then produced a set of keys and took us to an apartment which it was obvious didn't belong to The Village Lodge as it was not in the modern style that the lodge publishes on its website.

Instead, we found ourselves being taken to a two-bedroom apartment that did not have the ammenties we had been promised - plunge pool, dvds, sports channels etc. The apartment was also extremely poorly decorated.

When again we expressed our unhappiness, the member of staff seemed more interested in telling us his own tale of woes rather than trying to do something about our position.

The situation improved the next day because although we didn't speak to Rodney, a more competent member of staff took over our case and transfered us to the luxury one bedroom villa that we had originally booked.

She also made attempts to ensure that we were happy with the room we were transfered to after the cottage. After this, our situation improved if only because we now had less dealings with the hotel staff.

Unfortunately it was at this stage that we noticed than several things seemed to have gone missing. First it was a pair of ipod headphones and a baseball cap, later we also realised that two shirts had also disappeared.

On approaching the hotel staff about these missing items they simply said that the items had not been found. We have stayed in numerous hotel around the world and have never lost any items.

I was told I would have to speak directly with Rodney, but that proved impossible as he had still not made himself available to hear our grievances.

In fact, during the nine days we stayed at The Village Lodge we did not speak to Rodney once, despite specifically asking for a meeting on several occasions.

While staying at the hotel we also spoke to other guests who were extremely dissatisfied with the level of service they too had experienced.

It is the hotel's, and I must say unusual, policy that visitors on arrival have to pay the full amount for their stay in advance. Due to the incompetence of the staff on our first day we weren't asked to do so and when we did pay half-way through our stay we refused to pay the amount charged for the evening of December 31st because the property wasn't what we had requested.

A member of staff at this stage admitted that the cottage we were put in that day was not a property on The Village Lodge's books.

We told this person that before we would pay we wanted to speak to the owner - several days later when we booked out we still had not spoken to Rodney, but were told that we would still be expected to pay the full amount.

We left without paying for this one night but left contact details for Rodney to call us to resolve this issue - we are still awaiting his call.

The Village Lodge has some nice rooms and apartments available in a great part of Cape Town but the service from the senior management is pathetic. It seemed that once they had our money they simply didn't care - and no one goes on holiday to get treated like that.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Davymc72
Reviewed 30 December 2006

Now we know why we had to settle the whole bill in advance......
in short:
we stayed here for 2 nights at X-mas
Check in was a hassle, the room was finally available at 3pm!
Pool towels were nowhere to be found, and one of the two umbrella's at the rooftop pool area was broken so quite impossible to relax at the pool.
The staff was very gay and uninterested which was obvious at breakfast, supposed to start at 8am but ready at 9.30am.
Housekeeping was unavailable during x-mas
All in all perfect location , breakfast when ready elaborate, rooms decent but too expensive.
If they manage to improve the staff and it's service people will return, for now I won't.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
5  Thank saskia-TRIP
Reviewed 3 November 2006

This is to review the booking process as I have booked but not yet traveled there. Rodney handled the booking very well and it is nice to know that you are being handled by one of the owners of the property. Be aware that the Village Lodge is separate from De Waterkant Village accommodations...these are owned by different people. Some advertising from De Waterkant Village might give you the impression that they represent all properties, but in fact this one is independent of all that.

Stayed: October 2006
2  Thank Clipper707
Reviewed 9 October 2006

This is a metro-hip boutique hotel in the gay-friendly de waterkaant area of cape town, within a 15-min walk of the V&A waterfront. The village lodge offers studios to rent at low rates - these places are spectacularly appointed with roof decks, private pools, rain-showers, etc. Daily maid service is provided. Breakfast is generally poor-value (and often almost nothing left by 9:30am), but ours was included in the rate. The staff seemed somewhat disorganized and unprepared for the various requirements of the guests - there was noone to check us out on the last day for about 20 mins for example. Nevertheless, the amazing location, and the superb accomodations were excellent value for money, and I'd recommend this highly.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple