“Terrible staff”

Ranked #105 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Bristol
“Terrible staff”
Reviewed 6 February 2007

Had had a recommendation to go to the Village Lodge ... Well we first checked out the attached Thai Restaurant SoHo - it was nota good experience at all. Some of the staff were unfriendly to the point of rudeness, we waited endlessly to get served (a table of four when the restaurant was half empty ...), horrible loud techno music, clashing interiors. Other guests were also complaining ... ... a waitress asked me whether I was hungry or in a hurry (??!) when I complained about the food not having arrived after 1 1/2 hours - then she brought 2 of the four meals and we waited another 20 minutes for the rest to arrive, including the rice which was lukewarm. The most bizarre aspect of the whole experience was when I asked to speak to the manager to find out what the problem was with the long delays ... to be told, that he had gone to buy rice!! When he returned, he was pleasant and concerned, but unfortunately the evening had been spoilt already. Not to be repeated ...

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — staff
5 Thank WWBristol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
UK
Reviewed 30 January 2007

We booked the Village Lodge portfolio as we have 2 small childen and decided to go for self catering rather than a hotel/B&B so as not to impose them on other holidaymakers enjoying a more relaxing trip! We spent a lot of time and effort to choose a suitable property for the children and booked one of the more comfortable Village Lodge Properties with an outside area for the children. This was confirmed, both over the telephone and via e-mail with Rodney, at no time was I asked for any deposit. A week before arrival I phoned to confirm the booking and was told because I had not paid a deposit the cottage had been let to somebody else despite the fact the Village Lodge had a copy of my confirmation e-mail infront of them, this problem took most of the day to sort out as despite promises to call me back with a solution I never heard anything and Rodney was nowhere to be found. Finally, after numerous calls (always by me and not returned), I was offered another house which I was promised was child friendly with an outside area and as it was too late in the day to find alternative accommodation we agreed to take it - I wish we hadn't. Despite assuring us we had the whole house all we infact had was the downstairs of a tiny terraced house, there was only room for 2 of us to sit down, the bathrooms were so tiny it was virtually impossible to shower, the outside area we were promised turned out to be a roof terrace accessed by an outside fire-escape too dangerous for adults let alone the children (when we did finally brave it the furniture on the terrace was broken anyway). The attiutude of the staff was frustrating both from the time the problem arose and then once we arrived and found the house was totally unsuitable for a family. We wouldn't recommend the Village Lodge at all.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
5 Thank UKNettie

Travellers are raving about these Cape Town Central hotels

Boston
Reviewed 18 January 2007

I have just returned from an amazing trip in South Africa. The highlight of my trip was the safari and my trip to Cape Town. What made Cape Town so special was the Village Lodge. I was recommended this hotel by some friends in Sydney. This is a great designer guest house right in the middle of the Wanderkant a vibrant area with pastel coloured houses centrally located in Cape Town. The rooms are not huge but they are not "shoe boxes" either and well equipped with plasma screen tvs, AC, stylish bathroom. My room even had its own private terrace that was almost the same size as my bedroom. The owner Rodney is a really nice chap and extremely helpfull & friendly which made my stay even more enjoyable. The staff are young and eager to help. The Thai Restaurant SOHO served some of the best Thai food I have eaten in a long time. I am already thinking of my next trip to SA and will be staying the the Village Lodge again!!

• Liked — the owners personal style
  • Disliked — check in and service in restaurant once in a while
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 January 2007

Having read the reviews here I feel I need to add some balance as I enjoyed an excellent stay at the Village Lodge in January 2007.

I arrived on New Year's Day at around 13.30hrs. Check in was fine and the lady a delight considering a) my own shocking state and b) that the hotel and area had very obviously had a good NYE!

It is true that they take the full amount of the room cost on arrival. Whilst this is not "normal" practice in every hotel I've ever stayed in I can only assume that Rodney has had to impliment this at "peak season" for commercial reasons. With a limited number of rooms to sell the principals of yield management are hugely important - cancellation of a booking at short notice can have dramatic impact on revenue and is generally covered by cancellation charges. The Village Lodge is a business after all not a charity.

I was shown to a cottage just along from reception on Waterkant Street. I had a perfectly decent double room; sharing the rest of the facilities of the cottage (drawing room; kitchen; roof deck with shower). The whole cottage was immaculately clean - the bathroom especially. Housekeeping was fine for the three days with clean sheets, towels etc daily.

I had use of the facilities of the Lodge - bar, restaurant (more below) and the pool. Whilst not the most spacious pool area there is room to relax on the sunbeds and the plunge pool itself was perfect for cooling off.

The restaurant is a delight. Having spent a month at the Banyan Tree in Phuket a couple of years ago the Thai food served with style and care by the staff is as good as any you can find in Thailand.

I cannot make comment about Breakfast as I took mine sitting outside the Village Cafe on the opposite corner (this was purely as the sun caught the tables there and not at the Lodge).

I know the hotel industry inside out and have stayed in some of the finest (and most expensive) properties around the world the past 20 years. The Village Lodge doesn't claim to be an Amman or Banyan Tree or a Four Seasons. It is simply a great small, boutique style "Lodge" with some perfectly decent, comfortable, clean rooms at a very decent price.

Rodney is not a Hotelier by trade - he is however an excellent host. I know that he recognises that despite the huge positive changes that he has made in the lodge over the past 4 years there are still areas that could do with improvement. This is not unique - the level of service and "value for money" I received in a Leading Hotel of the World in Switzerland last year still has me stunned (and not because I was so impressed!).

• Liked — value for money
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled solo
4 Thank qualitytraveller
Reviewed 18 January 2007

The Village Lodge Portfolio is a breath of fresh air from staying in your standard guest house or self catering unit. Just between the City and GreenPoint and below Signal Hill they have a trendy Guest House with a great Thai Restaurant and a pool on the roof with the best views of Cape Town.
My room was modern and had all the mod-cons, Wifi, mini-bars,
satellite tv.
For our last view days friends joined us and we moved to one
of their luxury cottages. We had our own dining room, kitchen with
our own private pool. The housekeeping staff were so friendly and I I would advise anyone who is looking for an alternative place to stay without attitude or fuss then to definitely check out this place.

• Liked — location
2 Thank Danish_traveller10
Reviewed 15 January 2007

My main reason for giving the hotel just one star is that from my own personal experience the management treat the paying customer with utter contempt.

On the plus side this hotel is in a good location and with the exception of the very smallest rooms it proves nice accomodation.

Sadly the negatives greatly outweigh those positives.

While making our booking, the owner Rodney was extremely helpful, he explained that it was run by him and his partner and so we expected a hands-on approach. Unfortunately, our experience could not have been further from this.

On arrivial Rodney wasn't around and the process of trying to simply get a room was a shambles with a member of staff first saying that they did not have us booked to stay at all and then later saying that they had been expecting us the day before.

When we asked to speak with Rodney we were told he would be around later to answer any questions we had. We were subsequently told that he was out of the country.

When booking our stay at the hotel, Rodney had suggested we could move from one of their smallest rooms to a cottage in time for New Years Eve.

On Dec 31st we were set to move to a cottage when the person seemingly in charge that day told us firstly that we would have to share a cottage since they were over-booked.

When we refused this 'offer', he then produced a set of keys and took us to an apartment which it was obvious didn't belong to The Village Lodge as it was not in the modern style that the lodge publishes on its website.

Instead, we found ourselves being taken to a two-bedroom apartment that did not have the ammenties we had been promised - plunge pool, dvds, sports channels etc. The apartment was also extremely poorly decorated.

When again we expressed our unhappiness, the member of staff seemed more interested in telling us his own tale of woes rather than trying to do something about our position.

The situation improved the next day because although we didn't speak to Rodney, a more competent member of staff took over our case and transfered us to the luxury one bedroom villa that we had originally booked.

She also made attempts to ensure that we were happy with the room we were transfered to after the cottage. After this, our situation improved if only because we now had less dealings with the hotel staff.

Unfortunately it was at this stage that we noticed than several things seemed to have gone missing. First it was a pair of ipod headphones and a baseball cap, later we also realised that two shirts had also disappeared.

On approaching the hotel staff about these missing items they simply said that the items had not been found. We have stayed in numerous hotel around the world and have never lost any items.

I was told I would have to speak directly with Rodney, but that proved impossible as he had still not made himself available to hear our grievances.

In fact, during the nine days we stayed at The Village Lodge we did not speak to Rodney once, despite specifically asking for a meeting on several occasions.

While staying at the hotel we also spoke to other guests who were extremely dissatisfied with the level of service they too had experienced.

It is the hotel's, and I must say unusual, policy that visitors on arrival have to pay the full amount for their stay in advance. Due to the incompetence of the staff on our first day we weren't asked to do so and when we did pay half-way through our stay we refused to pay the amount charged for the evening of December 31st because the property wasn't what we had requested.

A member of staff at this stage admitted that the cottage we were put in that day was not a property on The Village Lodge's books.

We told this person that before we would pay we wanted to speak to the owner - several days later when we booked out we still had not spoken to Rodney, but were told that we would still be expected to pay the full amount.

We left without paying for this one night but left contact details for Rodney to call us to resolve this issue - we are still awaiting his call.

The Village Lodge has some nice rooms and apartments available in a great part of Cape Town but the service from the senior management is pathetic. It seemed that once they had our money they simply didn't care - and no one goes on holiday to get treated like that.

• Liked — good location
  • Disliked — the attitude of the management - they simply didn't care about their customers
  • Tips/Secrets — avoid at all costs
6 Thank Davymc72
The Netherlands
Reviewed 30 December 2006

Now we know why we had to settle the whole bill in advance......
in short:
we stayed here for 2 nights at X-mas
Check in was a hassle, the room was finally available at 3pm!
Pool towels were nowhere to be found, and one of the two umbrella's at the rooftop pool area was broken so quite impossible to relax at the pool.
The staff was very gay and uninterested which was obvious at breakfast, supposed to start at 8am but ready at 9.30am.
Housekeeping was unavailable during x-mas
All in all perfect location , breakfast when ready elaborate, rooms decent but too expensive.
If they manage to improve the staff and it's service people will return, for now I won't.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
5 Thank saskia-TRIP
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cape Town Central
Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Cape Castle
Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape To...
#85 of 109 in Cape Town Central
#105 of 155 in Cape Town Central
Man And Tree House
Man And Tree House
#40 of 125 in Cape Town Central

Been to The Village Lodge? Share your experiences!