“Exceeded every expectation”
Review of Alta Bay

Alta Bay
Ranked #21 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Best location - central and convenient In a breathtakingly beautiful and elevated position. I was traveling solo and really did not anticipate such a genuinely warm and welcome reception. The owner, his wife and the resident cat made me feel completely at home for the duration of my visit and were always on hand with accurate and helpful guidance and advice on top restaurants, travel info and even suitable options for a night on the town.

Alta Bay offers an extensive continental breakfast, however I opted to have my 7am morning meetings at a Deli around the corner in the charming Kloof Street district. Needless to say - these were superb and soon set the standard for each morning.

Seldom have I experienced this level of hospitality and luxury in such a comfortable setting. I am almost reluctant to share this review at the risk that others discover this gem and then they won't be able to accommodate me on my return visits!!!

Room Tip: I loved the loft suite - the lounge area was perfect for business and the bedroom was separate upst...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank LiquoriceLime

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We have stayed at Alta Bay 2 nights in August 2013. I have done a lot of researches on Tripadvisor before selecting this place, and I have to say I have been very satisfied with my choice. There couldn't be a better place to stay in Cape Town. The neighborhod is wonderful, set at the foot of table mountain, surrounded by beautiful vegetation and with amazing views down to the city and the ocean. We had a very warm welcome from the owners who showed us around the place and gave us lot of tips on the city and the cape. We stayed in the Bay Suite which is really impressive, with so much space, a side patio with a small pool and a fantastic private balcony where you can sit and enjoy the panorama and the peace of the place.
We will definitely go back here if ever again in Cape Town!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2013

After 14 days of intense travelling through SA, we stayed 4 days at Alta
Bay! It's a fantastic, quiet guesthouse with stunning views over the bay and
yet close to town! We enjoyed the Bay Suite, our private terrace and the
service of the house. Beulah and Stephan are very friendly and helpful.
Their tips of the restaurants were valuable. Definitely coming back!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Absolutely fabulous!! total luxury and tranquility. wonderfully situated
heights cape town, this guest house offers the best combination of rest and
close to shops and the beach. it is the ideal place to be. the owners are
great and gave us information on the many opportunities of this fantastic
city. I just wish that i good have stayed longer than 4 days. you really
need to allow extra time. top address!! you definitely need a car when
staying there. to walk up is very steep.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Thanks to stephan and beulah for giving us such an unforgettable experience at your lovely guest house. it gave us an energy boost to start our hectic life again. The views are breathtakingly beautiful. we highly recommend this as a quite, beautiful and quite cocoon in nature, yet only 2 km from town.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Very nice host, surroundings and accommodation, almost like being at home, luxury and cosy. The loft was the perfect place for our yearly 2 weeks break away with our 7 year old son. The location is perfect, just out of the city center, but close enough to be able to have a dinner and lunch out.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I stayed at mid August. Which is Winter there and off season. The owners were amazing. Taking time to help with my itinerary and touring plans for my 4 days in town. They were exceedingly patient with me with emailed questions prior to arrival. The rooms were beautiful. I stayed in the Bay Suite which had its own private terrace with oranges growing over the rail. Exceptionally clean and spacious, and because of location really quiet. I found the location to be in the nicer area of town and felt safe walking about.
It is up in the hills so walking is fine going downhill, but can be some exercise coming back up. Fortunately taxis are extremely cheap by North American/European standards. There are great restaurants and cafes in the area and the owners can help you with locating them.

Room Tip: One thing to note: the cable car up the mountain is closed for maintenance during their winters But...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo