“Excellent Service combined with high quality rooms”
Review of Alta Bay

Alta Bay
Ranked #18 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Utrecht
“Excellent Service combined with high quality rooms”
Reviewed 25 August 2009

Quiet hotel in a quiet part of Capetown with a very high service rate. Rooms are clean and comfortable. All people are friendly and willing to help out in searching sightseeing possibilties, restaurant advise and arrange reservations. Very good basis for short sightseeing trips in Cape Town and the surrounding environment. We recommend this hotel without hesitation.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank UtrechtUtrecht

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 20 July 2009

I just finished my dream trip to Africa which first saw me in Cape Town. Coming off of a long 30 hour trip from Los Angeles, I was greeted by the very friendly staff at Alta Bay who knew immediately that I had been through a very long journey to get to the country. Rather than holding me up with paperwork and a tour, they said we could do that later after I had a nap and shower and relaxed a bit. They knew exactly what I wanted and that was it! They took me to my room which was exquisite and I promptly began to relax and unwind. The staff took care of my every need. I felt extremely well looked after at Alta Bay. The meals they prepared for me were fantastic. The place was quiet and peaceful, tucked in the hills of Higgovale just below Table Mountain. I really felt like a guest in a home. Madre, Robyn, and the rest of the staff really are amazing. I would definitely stay at Alta Bay again and will! I highly recommend this guest house as a terrific alternative to the bigger, less friendly and impersonal hotels I normally stay at on my trips. Thank you Alta Bay!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank rrt1217
berlin
Reviewed 20 July 2009

It was very nice, staff reading from our eyes, good food, complementary drinks, all perfetto, everyone nice to everyone, lot of books and magazins, great breakfast, music in the room, every day different, all ok! SUPI!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank saxymaxy
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 7 June 2009

After writing two comprehensive reviews covering our incredible stay at Londolozi Granite Private Suites in the Sabi Sands, and our regrettably very disappointing stay at Birkenhead House in Hermanus, I'm going to make this one brief.

Likes:
1. Excellent value by South African standards.
2. Service and hospitality were great--special compliments to Robyn and the valet/security guys. The restaurant recommendations (excepting the somewhat disappointing Limoncello) were excellent. Ginja and Aubergine were both superb.
3. Alta Bay has several secure parking garages (if you ask) for your use if you've rented a car.
4. The views of Signal Hill, the City and waterfront are excellent from the Arch Room where we stayed for 5 nights. That room, along with the Bay Room are on the entrance level (which is actually the upper level with the best views of the City) of the main house. I can't speak to all the other rooms, but if openness and a view are important to you, I'd strongly suggest one of these two rooms. We really enjoyed cocktails in the evening on the upper private terrace looking out over the City.
5. The complimentary access to the Virgin Active gym (a 5 minute drive or taxi) was great. It's a beautiful facility with extensive equipment.

Dislikes (minor):
1. As other reviewers have mentioned, a bit more variety in the breakfasts (especially for a long stay) would have been nice.
2. Our bathroom was pretty tiny for 5 days--but very usable with a nice window and view!

Two final observations:
1. Alta Bay, in my opinion, is not really suitable for kids--unless they're college age or older. Our 5-night stay coincided with a family of 5 from Germany. While their 3 early-teen children were well-behaved, there was nothing to entertain them and it was obvious to all the other guests that they were bored and antsy. The 3 kids appeared to be craving a big pool to sit around in the February summer sun. Unfortunately, the tiny plunge pool at Alta Bay just didn't fit the bill. I believe that Alta Bay welcomes children, but I'd just caution that it isn't a resort and it doesn't have large hotels amenities to amuse kids. So if that's what you need, do yourself and other guests a favor and don't stay at the tranquil and very pleasant Alta Bay.
2. Alta Bay deserves the accolades it has received and would receive our strong recommendation.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MillionMilerMan
New York
Reviewed 15 May 2009

After doing A LOT of research on the choices in Cape Town in all of the key areas, I decided to stay at Alta Bay - and I could not have made a better choice - it was one of the most relaxing inns I have ever stayed in - and the level of service was simply superb. Alta Bay itself has great public areas, a complimentary bar, great breakfasts, and the most helpful staff - we were dealing with weather that was kind of alternating between good and bad and so we had to change our plans around a lot and the staff was so helpful.

Always trust the staff's restaurant recommendations - we only once did not and it was the only restaurant we did not like as much in Cape Town! They have an up to date list of the latest/greatest restaurants in the area and you should live by it.

If you are going to Cape Town, you cannot beat Alta Bay - it is located in a very nice neighborhood at the base of Table Mountain - and it was a nice retreat after days exploring the city.

If you can, get the Bay Room - nice patio with views and a huge bathroom with a great shower!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank yalie98
USA
Reviewed 20 April 2009

We stayed at Alta Bay for three nights. The hotel staff were extremely helpful both prior to our booking from the States as well as prior to our arrival from safari in Botswana. The staff arranged a rental car, met us at the airport, took us back to the airport and provided excellent suggestions for tourist sites in Cape Town as well as vinyards and restaurants in the wine country.

We would return without any hesitation. Our daughters, ages 25 to 30, also thoroughly enjoyed the hotel.

Food was well prepared, even custome prepared, depending upon selections. Staff were extremely attentive and helpful.

The location was quiet but very comfortable and easily accessible to downtown Capetown by taxi. The area was very, very safe.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NJUSA1
Kent, England
Reviewed 14 April 2009

My Husband and I stayed at this wonderful hotel in March for 4 nights. There are so many things to say about this place, much of which has already been written in other reviews.. To be honest the only thing you really need to know is this. Alta Bay is a very special place. The setting is gorgeous, the whole feel of the place is stylish and relaxing (it even smells lovely!!) but the best thing by far is the staff. We spent hours before our trip researcing restaurants, reading guide books ,talking to friends to try and decide where to eat , which vineyards to visit, what trips to do. We needn't have bothered. A top tip, save yourself the time and energy and just ask Madre and Robyn to recommend and organise everything. If I could have fitted them in my suitcase I would have brought them home with me..I don't think we could have enjoyed our trip any more than we did. We love this place..

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple