twentytwo
Cape Heritage Hotel(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
US$139
US$128
  • Breakfast included
Victoria & Alfred Hotel(Cape Town Central)
US$206
US$267
US$212
  • Pool
US$136
  • Restaurant
Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel(Cape Town Central)
US$491
Taj Cape Town(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
US$170
The Commodore(Cape Town Central)
US$223
US$177
Agoda.com
Cape Grace(Cape Town Central)
US$633
US$491
Agoda.com
Blackheath Lodge(Cape Town Central)
US$212
US$183
The Table Bay Hotel(Cape Town Central)
US$357
US$340
Orbitz.com
All reviewsperfect hoststable mountainguest houserecommending and booking restaurantsplace to staysouth africastay in cape townthought of everythinghonesty barhome away from homerestaurant recommendationsgreat adviceprivate balconyeach morningconcierge servicecable carperfect stay
Reviewed 2 September 2010

The experience at the twenty two was amazing in all aspects. Accomodations are roomy, comfortable and reasonably priced. The Hosts, Allan and Dominic, could not be more hospitible and helpful in every respect. Anything we needed they did not hesitate to do. Things we did not even ask for, such as getting us on the no-wait line for Table Mountain. Purely their suggestion and a great time saver.
The location is great...just a few mintues into the city. The views from the rooms are gorgeous.
These gentlemen KNOW how to make a traveller feel at home!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2010

As a member of a film crew working from Cape Town during the World Cup, we were all working unsociably long hours (as would be expected!). However, as soon as we arrived, we instantly knew we were staying in an absolute gem of a place.

Both Allan and Dominic were so incredible with their support and hospitality that it really did feel like a home away from home. They and their staff were always there to make us welcome. providing us with everything we needed to make our stay comfortable.

I am so happy to say that I came away from Cape Town with some fantastic new friends...

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 July 2010

The fantastic reviews say it all. Following a recommendation from a friend, my wife and I stayed in TwentyTwo upon our arrival in South Africa, and we found it to be a superb introduction to the country. Our host was Allan (Dominic was in the UK during our visit) and he was absolutely charming - extremely personable and helpful, with plenty of restaurant recommendations, useful maps and tips, and a hotline to local taxis. TwentyTwo was handily situated, easy to drive to from the airport, and a fairly short stroll to the Mount Nelson hotel for tea! Our room was spacious - as was our bathroom - and we had a rooftop view across to the bay. Breakfast was a real treat, with the tomatoes a definite highlight! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend TwentyTwo to anyone as a superb place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2010

My first stay in a guest house in Cape Town - and this was perfection.
Owners extremely attentive and nothing too much hassle.
I worked irregular hours - often arriving home after midnight and leaving around 7am.
Breakfast was first class and rooms were extremely clean and well decorated.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 June 2010

This was a stupidly short romantic break away for my wifes birthday - kept deliberately short as we had 14 month old girl at home with Grandma and didn't want to be away too long. As it happened we were returning to our honeymoon destination of Cape Town and had done all the sightseeing must sees then. Yes Cape Town and its surrounds do justify a long visit but in our situation, against what people had said thats its a long way to go for so short a stay, we found that we were away 5 days, flew overnight in both directions, which gave us 4 long full days and 3 nights which were a fabulously relaxing mini-break.

Last time we'd stayed in Alta Bay on arrival and on our return from other Cape adventures before flying home. Although this was a great place we were keen to try somewhere different but we knew we wanted to be in roughly the same area. This is probably a point better made in the Forum rather than the review but the City Bowl area close to the base of Table Mountain is an ideal base - we felt very, very safe, it was like an affluent leafy suburb of any UK city with the additional benefits of sunshine and scenery, with the City Centre and fabulous beaches within a 5-10 minute taxi drive or nice hot walk away.

We knew we were looking at small boutique style hotels or guesthouses in the area and selected a short list of three. Interestingly although the distinction between Hotel and B&B in the UK is fairly sharp -having researched a fair few in Cape Town and stayed in one of each - it really is quite blurred but in a positive way. Of these three the initial email exchange was sluggish in one so that one was ruled out and of the two prompt response we got a better vibe from Twentytwo.

This warmth continued in further email exchanges (I was trying to organise surprises for my wife and wanted to arrange the best break possible) and they, well specifically Dominic, couldn't have been more eager to help.

Arriving back at in the Mother City was fantastic and the hotel was as good as it looked on the website if not better. The room was excellent - I thought it would be smaller after reading a couple of reviews but this was not the case. The lounge, a particularly strong feature I loved at Alta Bay, seems to be an essential part of hotels/guesthouses in this section of the market, and was very welcoming and relaxing. As was the garden and pool - very romantic.

Dominic, one of the co-owners was equally as helpful in person, but it was partner Allan who excelled in the role of host, his offerings not always as useful or pragmatic as Dom's, but always humourously delivered and none the less fascinating to hear. Also delightful although we only met once due to the timings of our short stay was Bernadette the Manager.

Staying at the then, and current, Number One B&B in Cape Town has its obvious advantages but it certainly sets expectations very high and its easy to be overcritical. Luckily I don't have much to criticise and what I do say I hope its read as well meaning and constructive. Firstly, and this really is minor, possibly subjective, point - I have stayed in similar places with a free communal bar area (but unthinkingly paid for it in the room rate) and places with a mini-bar with a price list. Here is a bit of a compromise, there is a fridge in the lovely communal lounge but no indication of prices and I could have been faced with a massive rip off tag on check out - as it happens I wasn't and it was quite a well chosen and priced offering. Secondly, one of the breakfast was a bit hit and miss but I'm a bit of a philistine meat, bread and eggs man - the fruit sald looked lovely although not my particular taste. Lastly, and this is the hardest point to make, this is the first of 5 places in and around Cape Town I have stayed in that I didn't feel that the staff service was really worth a gratuity. Don't get me wrong it was awful and I would have probably tipped in the UK but in other places, considerably more, more and less expensive the service from the staff has always been exemplary and often faultless. Here there was general lack of warmth and attentiveness.

I don't know if this was because of the general laid back-ness of the place in general? In most respects this was very welcome. In fact it has to be said that in other places where the staff were perfect the owners and management were distinctly lacklustre (which is certainly not the case here) so maybe you can't have both!

Its plain to see and experience that Allan and Dominic mean business and I certainly got the impression they were happy to be Number 1 on here but definately won't rest on their laurels. I don't award an Excellent rating lightly, and despite minor critisisms, they truly deserve it.

Would I stay here again? In the same circumstances, yes, but realistically probably not as when we return next year we'll have a 2 year old and possibly in-Laws in tow and probably go self catering villa/apartment. But would I recommend it to a friend (or love my Mother-in-Law to say go and have a romantice night with the wife whislt we are out there) then my answer would be a definate yes.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple