“Great for business and well placed for bars etc”

Hippo Boutique Hotel
Ranked #50 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I have stayed at the Hippo twice for on business and can't recommend it highly enough. The staff are the most friendly and helpful you will find anywhere and nothing is too much trouble for them.
I had a small issue with the plumbing but it was fixed by the time I returned to my room the same day. They will even arrange airport pick up which makes life even easier. I have recommended this hotel to colleagues who have been equally impressed.

Room Tip: The 2 storey suites are amazing but have the bath in the room. Very cool though.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Hippotique, General Manager at Hippo Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Mumbers,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your recent stay at Hippo Boutique Hotel! The team is thrilled to hear your feedback and I am proud to know that our guests leave here knowing that the Hippo Staff will always go above and beyond for our guests.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Hippo Boutique Hotel again soon!

With kind regards,

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Had a great stay but when I suggest when checking in, ask what time the check out will be otherwise you will be charged an additional R800 for late check out. Enjoyed my stay though. Rooms where clean and the suite was great.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Hippotique, General Manager at Hippo Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Leon Ayo L,

Thank you for your positive review and for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay. We take our guests feedback seriously as a way to know what we are doing right but more importantly what can be improved on.
Hippo Boutique Hotel operates on regular check out time of 11h00. We are flexible with this time and are happy to assist with late departures where possible. A late departure fee is only charged when the hotel is running high occupancies and/or departure time is well after 11h00.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to Hippo Boutique Hotel in the near future!

Should I be of any assistance, please feel free to contact me directly as it will only be a pleasure to assist.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Have been using the Hippo for business trips over the last few weeks and have been more than impressed with the staff, the service and the rooms. The rooms are large with a kitchenette so you can spend time in the room in comfort if you wish, which can be a bonus when you are in a place for any length of time and dont necessarily feel like going to a restaurant. Breakfast is served in one of the restaurants below and is sufficient for most tastes. The bars and restaurants underneath the hotel seem to have very strict closing times so the noise is kept to a minimum late at night. The staff on reception booked a private trip to a winery and Cape Point/Cape of Good Hope which was well worth the money, even though it was not expensive. As I say 'a great place to stay !'

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Hippotique, General Manager at Hippo Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Neil F,

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel!

My Team and I are very happy to know you enjoyed your stay with us and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Hippo Boutique Hotel when next your travels take you to Cape Town! We should welcome another opportunity to show you the Hippo Boutique Hotel Hospitality at its best!

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I spent 4 nights at the hyppo recently, for a business trip, and I can say it's just a great experience, way better than the traditional business hotel, this place it young, cool and it's really great value. I'll definitively come back soon.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear dalmata22,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your recent stay at Hippo Boutique Hotel! The Hippo Team and I are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and agree, life is too short to stay in boring hotels!

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Hippo Boutique Hotel when next your travels bring you to Cape Town!

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Great location, close to all the shops, bars & restaurants for a vibey night out.
The rooms need maintenance (small things) and our window looked onto a wall which we were disappointed about as we'd seen the rooms on the website that had better views, so pay extra for a view! Lovely morning breakfast at the restaurant underneath the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Hippotique, General Manager at Hippo Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear cherilady,

The Hippo Boutique Hotel team would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We value guest feedback and take any kind of feedback constructively to improve where needed.

I am pleased to confirm that we currently have a maintenance project underway throughout the hotel. I am sorry to hear about your disappointment about the view you had, please don't hesitate to ask for me personally when booking your next reservation and I will be happy to ensure you are rewarded with the best views the Hippo has to offer!

Hippo Boutique Hotel

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Stayed here last weeked - what a great evening spent, local bars ( there is a great spot just outside, the fat cactus. FUN! ) after a big night out, its nice to come back to a comfy bed, would definitely be back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hippotique, General Manager at Hippo Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Dear Heatherza,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your recent stay at Hippo Boutique Hotel! The Hippo Team and I are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay as well as the Restaurant, Fat Cactus, on site!

We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future to experience another big night out celebrating or if it is just a well deserved lie in on the weekend in our comfy beds!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 25 March 2014

We were out with friends in town and didn’t fancy driving back to the house we were staying in for the week so we had one very last minute stay at the Hippo Hotel.
The receptionist was very helpful and it was really useful we could park our car safety underneath.
I popped out and my friend stayed in the car as the buzzer didn’t seems to work, but pretty simple after that.
Although the bar underneath is clearly busy and noisy – we were right near reception and couldn’t here it (wouldn’t want to be right above it though!).
ROOM
Room was big and clean and perfect for what we wanted – shower was also great the next day.
And I wouldn’t stay next to reception again, if it can be helped - although that being said the only noise was from the room next door blaring there TV at 5.30am!
Breakfast
We had a full breakfast included in the cost and headed on our way – very helpful, easy hotel – I’d stay again if I needed a room in town.

Room Tip: Go for a room at the back of the hotel - away from the reception area and bar front!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Hippotique, General Manager at Hippo Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear Katy W,

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel!

My Team and I are very happy to know you enjoyed your stay with us and we are looking forward to welcome you back to Hippo Boutique Hotel when next your travels take you to Cape Town! We should welcome another opportunity to show you the Hippo Boutique Hotel Hospitality at its best!