“Don't be fooled - Worst experience ever”
Review of Fountains Hotel

Fountains Hotel
Ranked #82 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Don't be fooled - Worst experience ever”
Reviewed 3 April 2013

After deciding to holiday in Cape Town, I searched for hotels which were conveniently located within the CBD of Cape Town, and was very surprised with the reviews and prices of this hotel. There were sites even classing the hotel as a 3 / 4 star hotel. I proceeded to check their own website only to find that the room type stated on their website only had superior rooms and apartments listed, but on the other website found a standard room type. I then contacted the hotel services department to enquire the difference in room types. I was advised that there was no difference in the room types as they only have superior and apartments. I then booked the room type (standard) and confirmed my booking. The following day, after reading reviews on this website I found that there were previous complaints about the room type. I then sent an e-mail to the manager of the hotel who then confirmed that they did in fact have 3 different room types. I was extremely angry as I took the time to even phone the hotel to enquire before booking. The manager apologized and confirmed that the lady who I spoke to was a trainee and upgraded me to a superior room type. My boyfriend and I then checked in the following day. The outside of the hotel was very hard to identify and we drove in circles trying to locate the entrance. We then parked on the corner and walked to their restaurant, where we were met by a very friendly front desk clerk who showed us the front entrance. On checking in at the front desk, we were only then advised that we had to pay a daily parking fee of R55.00 to park our vehicle underground. The parking entrance is extremely narrow and if not very careful can be bumped easily. We commented that paying a parking fee was a bit over the topped and the desk clerk responded 'well be thankful you don't have to park in the street where it will cost you much more'. I then also confirmed the room type upgrade to 'superior' which the clerk confirmed was correct. Upon entering the room '321' I was horrified and shocked at the state. There was a stale smell in the room, the carpets were stained, the noise coming from the bottom road was terrible as there was construction taking place, the railing in the cupboard was broken, and not to mention the noise which continued constantly throughout the night. We even had someone trying to open our door on a few occasions. The following day after returning our floor was soaking wet due to the leaking of the air-con. We approached the front desk to complain about this. They then sent a maintenance guy to the room first to 'investigate' probably whether we were telling the truth or not, this happened at 12:00am that evening. He then confirmed that there was a leak and we should then move. We were moved to a room on the 4th floor which was more spacious and had a king sized bed. After looking at this room, I was certain the previous room given was a standard room type. Due to my complaining the previous day, I am certain they did this just to spite me. I was even told on my first complaint that this room type 'standard' was reserved for the online booking site and these rooms are not sold directly to the public. I really feel sorry for all the foreigners visiting our beautiful country and having to stay in this 'not even 1 star classed hotel'. I spent many days a year on holiday and never experienced anything like this. Do not be fooled looking through their website as the gallery pictures are nothing compared to the horrifying experience. We attempted to stay out as late as possible so we could just get in, sleep the night and leave again the next morning. If I was told initially about the room type on my first enquiry I would have booked accommodation elsewhere. We spent the last night of our trip in the Cullinan Hotel which was superb.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jr7958

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Thai first
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Visiting Cape Town for the first time found this hotel very central for all our needs. We used the red tourist bus for 2 days and found this a great way to see some parts of Cape Town. The train station is just a few minutes walk away and very reasonably priced infact very cheap to be honest ask about the tourist ticket at the tourism office within the station you can use the ticket for and extra couple of rand as a hop on hop off. Hotel central for shops and restaurants and a 20 minute walk to the V & A water front. More about the hotel, Breakfast was excellent with lots of choice, staff very helpful from day 1 nothing too much trouble. Would Stay Again Without A Doubt.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Morgantown, West Virginia
Reviewed 21 March 2013

We spent 6 nights at the Fountains Hotel. Our 9th floor room was actually an apartment with a full-size fully-equipped kitchen and a view of Table Mountain. Since many restaurants were closed over the New Year's holiday, we used our kitchen to prepare food we purchased at a nearby grocery store a couple of times. The central location is very convenient for sightseeing and cabs are always available when needed. This is definitely not a fancy hotel, and the hallways are drab, but it is clean and the staff is very friendly and helpful. The water cooler in the lobby provides fresh water for refilling water bottles. We discovered that the hotel is popular with South African bus tour groups which gives it a very lively and fun atmosphere. The buffet breakfast is good with a wide variety of foods as well as a short-order grill for made-to-order eggs, etc. On a return trip to Cape Town we would definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Upper rooms are quieter and have nice views on the side facing Table Mountain.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Richmond Hill, Canada
Reviewed 20 March 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights. At the end of the day of the first two days I found a couple of small cockroaches in my bathroom. On the last night, a roach the size of a mouse (I am not exaggerating) crawled out from under my bed and walked around the room. The hotel is in a dodgy location and cab drivers made it clear to me that at night I should not hesitate in getting inside quickly. The room was sparse with stains on the carpet. The shower contained a bottle of soap. Even the internet service was weak and unreliable. Breakfast was average.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank gmcnab

Travellers are raving about these Cape Town Central hotels

Gauteng
Reviewed 20 March 2013

As a business traveler I expected clean, comfortable rooms and bathrooms. The room looked run down and the finishing's were in a poor condition. The bathroom had mold around the shower and basin. I showered in my flips flops all week and dared not put my bare feet on the carpets. The hotels foyer and lobby does not match the rooms in terms of cleanliness. Will not stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank E_traveller28
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We stayed in this hotel for the Argus weekend and it was ideal. The rooms are big enough for bikes to be stored in, even though they offered a separate bike park. The bedroom was very comfortable, as was the lounge/kitchen area. I would describe the whole vibe as unpretentious, although I suspect, from other reviews, that others may want something that seems fancy. The staff were all incredibly helpful and friendly. The breakfasts were generous and catered for a variety of tastes.
Being near the station and on a main road it can be a bit noisy, but the convenience and the views more than made up for that.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank JAY611
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Overall a great hotel. The hotel is in a VERY central position in Cape Town (right next to the start of the Argus Cycle Tour). The food was okay, nothing like the Commodore where we stayed the following night (but that's another review).

Rooms:
The rooms are simple and clean.
Choose a room on the upper levels to avoid the noise from the road below.

Service:
The staff were efficient and helpful. We were doing the Argus Cycle, and the Hotel was very happy to keep our bikes in a separate room. We also arrived very early, the front desk checked us in, and looked after our bags until 2pm when we could occupy the rooms.

We were very happy with our stay, and would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay in the CBD!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank GregKeal
FountainsGM, General Manager at Fountains Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Dear Greg Keal

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the hotel. I am very happy to learn that you had a great stay at the Fountains Hotel. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I am pleased to read that you found the hotel staff efficient and friendly as we pride ourselves in our level of service and guests satisfaction.

Thank you once again for writing a review about the Fountains Hotel, and we would love to welcome you again the next time you visit Cape Town!