“Very Nice Location and Breakfast”
Review of Fountains Hotel

Fountains Hotel
Ranked #88 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 3 June 2013

The Hotel is located in a good location near to everything. The staff were really nice and helpfull. The breakfast was perfect enough to make me forget about lunch most of the days.. We really recommend this place for your stay. The thing to improve i can tell is that my mini-bar wast workin and the shower had only some courtine that alowed to wet all the bathroom.

1  Thank Gregorykozowski
FountainsGM, General Manager at Fountains Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Dear Bento Goncalves

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am very happy to learn that you had a great stay at the Fountains Hotel. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

I am pleased to read that you found the hotel staff efficient and friendly as we pride ourselves in our level of service and guests satisfaction. I have taken note of all your concerns and I can assure you that we have addressed each one individually to ensure that this does not get repeated.

Once again, thank you for posting a review, and please do not hesitate to contact us for your next visit to Cape Town.

Abe Davids

Reviewed 18 May 2013

Apart from helpful service with a smile and decent breakfast, dont expect too much.. Hotel itself is rundown and a bit shabby. Pool area and gym arent actually inviting and the hotels corridors remind you of an old hospital. Rooms are quite noisy both to the corridor and the mainroad going beside the hotel. Room doors are flimsy and dont insulate any sound at all. At night its peaceful enough as the centres office area is deserted, assuming you dont be woken up to a false wakeup call at 330 AM which was to the wrong room (my room).

All in all: a decent budget hotel (which is at most 3stars) in which to crash. Not maybe for a business traveler.

Room Tip: At least 5th floor and facing the fountains. Too low and its too noisy. On th other side the view is...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
FountainsGM, General Manager at Fountains Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the hotel. I am pleased to learn that the staff were of helpful service as we pride our self on going the extra mile for our guests.

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast you had during your stay with us as well as the free internet we offer our guests during their stay with us.

Kind Regards
Abe Davids

Reviewed 8 May 2013 via mobile

It is in the heart of downtown Cape Town right next to the long range bus Central.
Was disappointed with the fact that they do not charge to the credit card.
The apartments have a decent size and are equipped with a kitchen in case you'd rather cook than going to eat out everyday which can blow your vacation's budget.
The beds are a disappointment. I'm 1,85 m and my feet very often found themselves out of it. The sheets were equally small and found myself many times uncovered if I rolled in bed.
Definitely not coming back to this hotel.

Reviewed 6 May 2013

I stayed in the hotel part, obviously this is not an upmarket place, but it makes an effort. Unfortunately its just not enough!

The rooms are a decent size but carpets are worn. The furniture has seen better days. They did have tea and coffee making facilities, which is always a plus in my book. Bed was comfortable enough, and there was hot water in the bathroom. Bathroom was abit dingy, clean but just an old feel to it.

A word of warning, if you leave the hotel after dark, I would get a taxi. It doesn't feel too safe. I walked up to Long Street and felt it probably wasn't a great idea. In the day its fine, but come evening I'd recommend a taxi.

The corridors feel like a hospital - very thin and cramped layout. Not as cramped as the car park though, thankfully I had a small hire car, not a 4x4! Very tight in places.

Breakfast was decent, lots of fresh fruit and cooked items, a real variety. I can't remember the name of the gentleman that greeted me at breakfast but he had lots of badges on his waistcoat - a real character!

Would I stay here again? Probably not.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 April 2013

For our 2 night stay. We booked a family apartment , with two seperate bedrooms, with 2 bathrooms for 3 adults to share while traveling together. A neat/cute factor was the entry for each bathroom was concealed .... you entered by opening central wardrobe doors to reach a large spacious well appointed bathroom off each bedroom. The kitchen had a large fridge and a full size stove & oven, some pots and pans, cutlery , crockery etc, if you wanted to self cater.

Secure car parking available on site :-)

Our apartment on the 7th floor gave us an excellent view over the fountain square below.

It was walking distant to restaurants, house of parliament, governors residence etc.

Buffet breakfast we had on both days was good quality fresh fruits, toasts , croissants, cereals, eggs, bacon , and more ..... staff where well mannered and attentive.

The only down side ...if you wanted to sleep in ..... was you would be disturbed by city traffic noises from early morning around the square .... which really should not be unexpected given its central location.

Would stay again if in Cape Town.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ozricko75
Reviewed 4 April 2013

bad section- 4 star hotel???? Not likely. 2.5 to 3 star I would say. Room was old and worn but the thing that got me was the shocking quality of the room. Tiles in bathroom poorly laid with obvious cut holes in them, kitchen of very low quality. The couch was probably the cheapest they could find....ill stop now as there is to much to tell.
Good section- downstairs staff very helpfully and friendly.

1  Thank thisworldishome
Reviewed 3 April 2013

After deciding to holiday in Cape Town, I searched for hotels which were conveniently located within the CBD of Cape Town, and was very surprised with the reviews and prices of this hotel. There were sites even classing the hotel as a 3 / 4 star hotel. I proceeded to check their own website only to find that the room type stated on their website only had superior rooms and apartments listed, but on the other website found a standard room type. I then contacted the hotel services department to enquire the difference in room types. I was advised that there was no difference in the room types as they only have superior and apartments. I then booked the room type (standard) and confirmed my booking. The following day, after reading reviews on this website I found that there were previous complaints about the room type. I then sent an e-mail to the manager of the hotel who then confirmed that they did in fact have 3 different room types. I was extremely angry as I took the time to even phone the hotel to enquire before booking. The manager apologized and confirmed that the lady who I spoke to was a trainee and upgraded me to a superior room type. My boyfriend and I then checked in the following day. The outside of the hotel was very hard to identify and we drove in circles trying to locate the entrance. We then parked on the corner and walked to their restaurant, where we were met by a very friendly front desk clerk who showed us the front entrance. On checking in at the front desk, we were only then advised that we had to pay a daily parking fee of R55.00 to park our vehicle underground. The parking entrance is extremely narrow and if not very careful can be bumped easily. We commented that paying a parking fee was a bit over the topped and the desk clerk responded 'well be thankful you don't have to park in the street where it will cost you much more'. I then also confirmed the room type upgrade to 'superior' which the clerk confirmed was correct. Upon entering the room '321' I was horrified and shocked at the state. There was a stale smell in the room, the carpets were stained, the noise coming from the bottom road was terrible as there was construction taking place, the railing in the cupboard was broken, and not to mention the noise which continued constantly throughout the night. We even had someone trying to open our door on a few occasions. The following day after returning our floor was soaking wet due to the leaking of the air-con. We approached the front desk to complain about this. They then sent a maintenance guy to the room first to 'investigate' probably whether we were telling the truth or not, this happened at 12:00am that evening. He then confirmed that there was a leak and we should then move. We were moved to a room on the 4th floor which was more spacious and had a king sized bed. After looking at this room, I was certain the previous room given was a standard room type. Due to my complaining the previous day, I am certain they did this just to spite me. I was even told on my first complaint that this room type 'standard' was reserved for the online booking site and these rooms are not sold directly to the public. I really feel sorry for all the foreigners visiting our beautiful country and having to stay in this 'not even 1 star classed hotel'. I spent many days a year on holiday and never experienced anything like this. Do not be fooled looking through their website as the gallery pictures are nothing compared to the horrifying experience. We attempted to stay out as late as possible so we could just get in, sleep the night and leave again the next morning. If I was told initially about the room type on my first enquiry I would have booked accommodation elsewhere. We spent the last night of our trip in the Cullinan Hotel which was superb.

1  Thank Jr7958