“Location excellent”

Fountains Hotel
Ranked #81 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
“Location excellent”
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Loved the view on the city from our room.Clean and comfortable.Pity that breakfast was not included.We arrived there during the time of the Eurocup and we wanted to watch a game but the tv was not working...someone had to come and fix it after several attempts.Normally I dont mind the tv but for the price one pays you expect something so basic to work?

• Stayed July 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Thai first
Reviewed 17 June 2013

The hotel is in a fantastic location and the staff were really helpful. The rooms were very basic and the whole feel of the hotel was a little unloved; it clearly needed a splash of paint and a bit of TLC.

The food at the hotel was served buffet style but sadly was very poor quality. The bread at both breakfast and dinner was stale, the eggs were cold 3 days in a row and there were no options for vegetarians at dinner.

If you want a hotel to spend time in and relax, I would not recommend. But The Fountains hotel is fine for just a base to drop your bags and explore the city. The rooms are basic but with double bed, bath / shower, tv, aircon are perfectly adequate for the stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Reviewed 8 June 2013

i could not believe as a south african that i was in sa upon check-in and for the duration of my stay. forom my interaction with reception/checkin to my conversation to management to the staff i was treated with respect and dignity. and wow the room was fantabulous.

Room Tip: room308 made it wow for me.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 210969
FountainsGM, General Manager at Fountains Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am so pleased to read that you had a" FANTABULOUS" stay with us and that the staff were of excellent service. We pride ourselves on going the extra mile for all our guests.

I trust that you further more enjoyed the complimentary internet that is available for all guests as well as the delicious complimentary water that we offer in the lobby.

Please let us know when you are planning on visiting Cape Town again. We would love to make your stay a memorable one again.

Kind Regards
Bento Goncalves, RS
Reviewed 3 June 2013

The Hotel is located in a good location near to everything. The staff were really nice and helpfull. The breakfast was perfect enough to make me forget about lunch most of the days.. We really recommend this place for your stay. The thing to improve i can tell is that my mini-bar wast workin and the shower had only some courtine that alowed to wet all the bathroom.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gregorykozowski
FountainsGM, General Manager at Fountains Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Dear Bento Goncalves

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am very happy to learn that you had a great stay at the Fountains Hotel. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

I am pleased to read that you found the hotel staff efficient and friendly as we pride ourselves in our level of service and guests satisfaction. I have taken note of all your concerns and I can assure you that we have addressed each one individually to ensure that this does not get repeated.

Once again, thank you for posting a review, and please do not hesitate to contact us for your next visit to Cape Town.

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Apart from helpful service with a smile and decent breakfast, dont expect too much.. Hotel itself is rundown and a bit shabby. Pool area and gym arent actually inviting and the hotels corridors remind you of an old hospital. Rooms are quite noisy both to the corridor and the mainroad going beside the hotel. Room doors are flimsy and dont insulate any sound at all. At night its peaceful enough as the centres office area is deserted, assuming you dont be woken up to a false wakeup call at 330 AM which was to the wrong room (my room).

All in all: a decent budget hotel (which is at most 3stars) in which to crash. Not maybe for a business traveler.

Room Tip: At least 5th floor and facing the fountains. Too low and its too noisy. On th other side the view is...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the hotel. I am pleased to learn that the staff were of helpful service as we pride our self on going the extra mile for our guests.

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast you had during your stay with us as well as the free internet we offer our guests during their stay with us.

Kind Regards
Reviewed 8 May 2013 via mobile

It is in the heart of downtown Cape Town right next to the long range bus Central.
Was disappointed with the fact that they do not charge to the credit card.
The apartments have a decent size and are equipped with a kitchen in case you'd rather cook than going to eat out everyday which can blow your vacation's budget.
The beds are a disappointment. I'm 1,85 m and my feet very often found themselves out of it. The sheets were equally small and found myself many times uncovered if I rolled in bed.
Definitely not coming back to this hotel.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I stayed in the hotel part, obviously this is not an upmarket place, but it makes an effort. Unfortunately its just not enough!

The rooms are a decent size but carpets are worn. The furniture has seen better days. They did have tea and coffee making facilities, which is always a plus in my book. Bed was comfortable enough, and there was hot water in the bathroom. Bathroom was abit dingy, clean but just an old feel to it.

A word of warning, if you leave the hotel after dark, I would get a taxi. It doesn't feel too safe. I walked up to Long Street and felt it probably wasn't a great idea. In the day its fine, but come evening I'd recommend a taxi.

The corridors feel like a hospital - very thin and cramped layout. Not as cramped as the car park though, thankfully I had a small hire car, not a 4x4! Very tight in places.

Breakfast was decent, lots of fresh fruit and cooked items, a real variety. I can't remember the name of the gentleman that greeted me at breakfast but he had lots of badges on his waistcoat - a real character!

Would I stay here again? Probably not.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business