“"Great Weekend Get-Away"”

Ranked #81 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“"Great Weekend Get-Away"”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I stayed at the hotel as a weekend get-away with my partner. The rooms were clean and tidy but a bit on the small side. The staff were very friendly and the service was great! The view was absolutely gorgeous overlooking the city, mountains and fountain especially during the morning. The buffet breakfast was definitely a highlight during our stay with so much variety and choices to make... Standard check out time is 11h00 which I think is great as compared to previous hotels we've stayed at where check out was about 9h00 or 10h00. It was an overall good stay - We'd definitely stay at Fountains again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Thai first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 5 April 2014

The price was right ,we paid $50 a night for this hotel.the room was ok,clean,safe,tv.ask for the rooms that face the street.we got a room that was horrible facing the vent shaft and next day asked for a switch to the 6th floor.the hotel was convenient located downtown near long street where all the good restaurants are as well as walking distance to V A waterfrontYou can bargain with taxis and a cab fare was 30 to 40 rand to the VA waterfront.
At the reception there was one white woman that had problem relating to visitors.othewise all the other staff were very polite anf very friendly especially an older black gentleman dressed in boy scout badges.great breakfast and resonable dinner.
The beds could have been a bit bigger but there was plenty of pillows and the comforter as great.

Room Tip: 6th floor facing the street
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I just stayed at the Fountains hotel on a business trip and was very disappointed. Rooms are very basic, furniture quite old and worn out, the best part of the room is bathroom (which is still very basic).

In my room (527) there was about 30 - 40 cm of free space between the bed and wall (on the other side to the window this was even less). The room had a view to the atrium, with an air-conditioning unit just outside the window (the same applies to all rooms in that atrium).

The choice of food (for breakfast) is poor, especially for vegetarians. But in any case, if you stay at the hotel for a longer time it can get pretty boring after two to three days.

In summary: try to avoid at any cost!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ZmagoG

Travellers are raving about these Cape Town Central hotels

Fraserburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Just ended a 14 day stay in this hotel, wonderful staff from desk/floor to bar all very helpful, A really good location as you are almost in the city centre but no traffic noise, breakfast is more than ample and I can't see why some people complain about the choice of food as what I witnesses was a large choice at breakfast time.

Large spacious room with flat screen tv and movie channels to watch at no extra cost, I have fell in love with Cape Town and will come back again and my choice of hotel shall be the Fountains again, only one small complaint on my last night early in the evening my Visa card was stolen at a ATM not far from the hotel this was a slick operation by a team of three thieves, they had blocked the machine so my card would not go in and quick as a flash one thieve "assisted me" and quicker still he palmed the card, as I now reliesed that three thieves were next to me I just played along and allowed them to watch me entering an incorrect PIN number,once this was witnesses two of the gang went off and the other one delayed me (this was to allow them time to nip around the corner to the nearest ATM) as it was not far to the hotel I returned there and noticed a large number of guests awaiting to check in, I approached the desk and informed one staff of my situation and immediately he dialled visa for me, my grip was after the call I was was charged for this service, Yes I understand someone has to pay for the call but it would have been a nice gesture if they waivered the cost.(card cancelled and nothing taken...just a reminder about the Emergency Visa Card replacement...would take two days!!! Just glad when I call the fire service in an emergency they don't take the same time)

Enjoy Cape Town and enjoy Fountains Hotel

Siggiewi, Malta
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I have never stayed in a Hotel, for 9 days, where all the Staff were so friendly and helpful. I had a very large apartment kept very clean by Mohammed; the Restaurant produces amazingly good food (huge buffets) & the best "Bread & Butter Pudding" I've ever tasted.
Front of House staff all 1st class.
For the price - you won't do better anywhere!
I look forward to my next visit there.

Room Tip: Go for as high a floor as possible. Apartments are great good value!
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Just stayed at this great hotel, great facilities but the best thing about it all has to be the wonderful staff who nothing seemed to much trouble to help and advise. All in all a great experience and already looking forward to going back next year. A big thank you to Owen and all his great staff

Room Tip: Difficult to recommend a room as the weather changes so much and the wind can be a bit noisy against...
Malmesbury, South Africa
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I am a local and had to go for an interview at the hotel. It was my first visit there. I was totally lost as to where to park, etc. And then this angel appeared, Thys. He made us feel so welcome and showed us around. We felt like royalty. This is the kind of people we need in South Africa. Building a nation and showing visitors the wonderful hospitality of our country's citizens. Thank you Thys! I want to commend you. You are the epitome of 'service excellence and a true South African ambassador'!
Thank you, Thys.