“Would not recommend!”
Review of Fountains Hotel

Fountains Hotel
Ranked #86 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I would agree with the previous reviews...there is no customer service; the lady at the desk was rude and was least bothered about the client’s needs. When requesting information, everyone transfers your request among themselves. You would not know at the end of the day who will treat your request. Is it laziness or lack of interest??Name it as you wish. The pictures are misleading...the building is old and dirty.

There is no privacy...at any time the housekeeping staff can open your rooms with their double keys. The nicest ones will knock before but others would not just care. We encountered the instance of a lady bumping in our room while we were having a nap and not knocking beforehand.

I was there when there was a rugby team staying in the hotel. They were noisy and tried to open your doors looking for their friends.

The worst hotel I encountered during my travels!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Very friendly staff , we were lucky to get an apartment on the top floor with 2 balconies and fantastic view. The bedrooms were on-suite, with a large lounge dining are and full kitchen large fridge freezer . Parking in the Hotel Parking levels is cheap and safe.Ideal for 2 couples or a family.

Room Tip: Ask for a High floor facing the Fountain with a side sea side Table Mountain view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We stayed in this hotel with two other family members for 14 nights on a holiday from Scotland.We were given a penthouse flat with two bedrooms on the 11th floor and had wonderful views of Table mountain ,sea and over the city as well as looking down onto the fountains. All the staff from room cleaners up to the manager we found to be most helpful. They most certainly helped to make our holiday most enjoyable. We would most definitely stay in this hotel again

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I stayed at the hotel as a weekend get-away with my partner. The rooms were clean and tidy but a bit on the small side. The staff were very friendly and the service was great! The view was absolutely gorgeous overlooking the city, mountains and fountain especially during the morning. The buffet breakfast was definitely a highlight during our stay with so much variety and choices to make... Standard check out time is 11h00 which I think is great as compared to previous hotels we've stayed at where check out was about 9h00 or 10h00. It was an overall good stay - We'd definitely stay at Fountains again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2014

The price was right ,we paid $50 a night for this hotel.the room was ok,clean,safe,tv.ask for the rooms that face the street.we got a room that was horrible facing the vent shaft and next day asked for a switch to the 6th floor.the hotel was convenient located downtown near long street where all the good restaurants are as well as walking distance to V A waterfrontYou can bargain with taxis and a cab fare was 30 to 40 rand to the VA waterfront.
At the reception there was one white woman that had problem relating to visitors.othewise all the other staff were very polite anf very friendly especially an older black gentleman dressed in boy scout badges.great breakfast and resonable dinner.
The beds could have been a bit bigger but there was plenty of pillows and the comforter as great.

Room Tip: 6th floor facing the street
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I just stayed at the Fountains hotel on a business trip and was very disappointed. Rooms are very basic, furniture quite old and worn out, the best part of the room is bathroom (which is still very basic).

In my room (527) there was about 30 - 40 cm of free space between the bed and wall (on the other side to the window this was even less). The room had a view to the atrium, with an air-conditioning unit just outside the window (the same applies to all rooms in that atrium).

The choice of food (for breakfast) is poor, especially for vegetarians. But in any case, if you stay at the hotel for a longer time it can get pretty boring after two to three days.

In summary: try to avoid at any cost!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ZmagoG
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Just ended a 14 day stay in this hotel, wonderful staff from desk/floor to bar all very helpful, A really good location as you are almost in the city centre but no traffic noise, breakfast is more than ample and I can't see why some people complain about the choice of food as what I witnesses was a large choice at breakfast time.

Large spacious room with flat screen tv and movie channels to watch at no extra cost, I have fell in love with Cape Town and will come back again and my choice of hotel shall be the Fountains again, only one small complaint on my last night early in the evening my Visa card was stolen at a ATM not far from the hotel this was a slick operation by a team of three thieves, they had blocked the machine so my card would not go in and quick as a flash one thieve "assisted me" and quicker still he palmed the card, as I now reliesed that three thieves were next to me I just played along and allowed them to watch me entering an incorrect PIN number,once this was witnesses two of the gang went off and the other one delayed me (this was to allow them time to nip around the corner to the nearest ATM) as it was not far to the hotel I returned there and noticed a large number of guests awaiting to check in, I approached the desk and informed one staff of my situation and immediately he dialled visa for me, my grip was after the call I was was charged for this service, Yes I understand someone has to pay for the call but it would have been a nice gesture if they waivered the cost.(card cancelled and nothing taken...just a reminder about the Emergency Visa Card replacement...would take two days!!! Just glad when I call the fire service in an emergency they don't take the same time)

Enjoy Cape Town and enjoy Fountains Hotel