“A friendly, charming guesthouse”

Mountain Manor Guesthouse
Ranked #126 of 156 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 August 2011

We stayed with a large group (we had almost the entire facility) - the staff was helpful and friendly. The rooms really vary in size and amenities - we got one of the smallest rooms, which was fine except for the shortage of power outlets (there was only one that we could use, so we had to schedule times to charge our cameras and computers).

There is only one key, so if you split up with your roommate, make sure he/she leaves the key because the staff doesn't stay up late at night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back - they are MUCH bigger and away from the street.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 9 July 2011

We arrived late on a Saturday night , fatigued after being on the go for 20 hours, and were desperate to have a nice homely welcome and a cup of tea before settling down for the night. However, when we were shown our self catering apartment, our worst fears were realised. 2 teabags,sugar, but no milk for our tea. The bathroom was the pits. The loo lid was detached from the seat, the shower contained two part used shampoo sachets from previous guests, the moulding around both bath and shower were black. Light fittings were missing in both the lounge and bathroom. The french window could not be locked properly, yet with the amount of other keys given to us one felt one was living in Fort Knox. The one certain point made by the "receptionist" was to ensure payment made at the start, fatigued or not. To be fair, the bed was comfortable, and the linen was acceptable. God knows how an initiate to South Africa, if this was to have been an introduction to their first visit to South Africa. We had toyed with staying on for a few more days in Cape Town, but this experience put us off. How ever did this establishment achieve a 3 star commendation? The literature and Internet blurb promised so much, but was a disaster. Our trips to Wilderness and Stellenbosch were marvellous, full of charm , curtesy and quality. I wonder if the Mountain Manor want their derisory piece of soap back .We could wrap it up in the transparent toilet roll supplied.

Room Tip: Avoid like the plague
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
MJWhitehead, Owner at Mountain Manor Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2011

To whom it may concern
I am absolutely amazed by your review and also wish to ask if you posted the 2 photo's next to your review??? I if you did - they do NOT belong to our apartments or brochure at all. We do NOT have sash windows in the apartments at Serengeti into which you were booked so i cannot quite understand what you are talking about.
We have 2 ply toilet paper in these apartments and my staff swear that the quality checks were done and that NO empty shampoo sachets lay in the shower.
I am saddened that you did not report any of these problems at reception at check out time so that matters could have been resolved or investigated further from my side.
Please also do not slate Mountain Manor - when in fact you stayed at Serengeti Apartments.

Reviewed 26 April 2011

I've noticed that there are some mixed reviews for Mountain Manor and I think this is because they also offer accommodation outside the "manor", which seems to be to a much lower standard.

We were in 404 Serengeti, a one-bedroom self-catering apartment in a block of flats opposite the street from the house that features on most of their pictures. The apartment is reasonably spacious and in a good location. For the money you pay probably reasonable value if they could just clean it up a bit (we paid R650 a night for two people).

On the downside, the building looks a bit run down and the apartment is dirty. For the daily rate a "light dusting" type of cleaning service is included, but it's exceptionally light. The carpet in the living room is appallingly dirty. There are two couches of which one was so dirty I really couldn't bring myself to sit on it. There were also discarded cigarette butts on the balcony and lots of dirt to be found throughout the apartment as soon as one started having a closer look. For instance, I discovered breadcrumbs and some sugar on one of the dining chairs when I pulled it out on the first morning. Some of the glasses in the cupboard were also quite dirty when we took them out and had to be cleaned before use. I don't mind the light dusting service, but I would really expect them to clean it properly before new guests check in. It's quite clear though that this apartment hasn't been properly cleaned in a while. There were other minor irritations (curtains in bedroom cannot close the full window area properly, ceiling paint coming off etc.) but the biggest by far was just that the place felt dirty.

The apartment also smelled of stale smoke. Not being a smoker this put me off quite a bit every time I came in from outside. I'm not sure if smoking is actually allowed inside the apartment, but by the smell of it probably is, which could be an advantage for the smokers out there.

Bathroom is en-suite with a bath only, but has a shower head. Unfortunately the geyser (aka boiler, aka thing that makes water hot) is also above the bath and this means tall folks cannot stand in it. I'm 1.82m and I couldn't stand fully upright in the "shower". I managed to shower in it with fairly minimal discomfort, but if you're any taller it probably won't work for you at all.

This apartment had two single beds that were pushed together, which I always find uncomfortable. Definitely prefer a decent double bed, but I guess some people might prefer two singles. I did notice when we checked in that at least the one room visible from reception did have a decent double bed though, which seems to be consistent with their website photos.

Location is very good. I went for a jog every morning while there and really enjoyed the surrounding neighborhood. Streets are clean, plenty trees and parks and decent sidewalks for jogging/walking. It's very convenient for anything in the city bowl. The Gardens shopping mall is within easy walking distance and you should find anything you need for your stay there. Kloof Street with all its restaurants is also walking distance if you're reasonably fit (about a 15min walk), but otherwise a very close drive or cab ride. There are other restaurants even closer though, most notably Limoncello, barely 50m down the street.

Wireless internet is available, but costs extra and I didn't use it as I had brought my own. The apartment was otherwise quite well equipped, although we didn't make use of the kitchen much and generally stayed out of the apartment as much as possible on account of the dirtiness on the one hand and the perfect weather outside on the other.

Overall I was a bit disappointed, but I should have known something was up when I got quoted the cheaper than advertised rate and didn't think to ask why this was. If you have a look at their website this is clear when looking at the difference between "Luxury apartments" and "Self catering". Unfortunately, I didn't. I phoned them using a a phone number advertised on another site and made a booking. The site only had pictures of the "Luxury apartments" and didn't have any clear explanation of the different options available, so I didn't realize until we got there (and it was too late in a peak week in Cape Town to look for alternative options). So do watch out for that! Probably not their fault, but something to be aware of. Be sure to check that you get a "luxury" apartment if the pictures of the restored manor house is what draws you to the place.

As for the apartment we ended up in, I think it's reasonable value but it needs a good cleaning and I wouldn't recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room/apartment inside the house.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bulave
Reviewed 9 March 2011

We spent a couple of days at this conveniently located Manor House in the self catering apartment - 17 Arniston. The unit was very clean and spacious on the ground floor overlooking the lovely pool area with loungers and bar tables/chairs.
We had a great stay in C.T. and it was a pleasure coming home to this beautiful manor house. We spent a fair bit of time sitting on the outside patio enjoying our surroundings. The only suggestion we had was the bath that needed a step built since it is very high and wide so older people would certainly struggle getting in/out the bath/shower. (We did put our suggestion forward).
The staff were great! I will certainly stay there again and look forward to my next visit.

Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 July 2010

What you see on the internet is certainly not what you get. The restoration of this charming property is second rate and looks like it was done by a not too handy man. The appliances and the electrical wiring were dodgy at best but at least the beds were reasonably comfortable. The current AA rating (as per the certificate in the hallway) is 3 star but the apartments still struggle there. The plumbing is very dodgy and the hand basin was blocked for the duration of our 7 night stay. The only thing going for the apartments is their location, being reasonably close to the Cape Town CBD and the Gardens Shopping Centre across the street. The house keeping was reasonable but the linen was not changed in 7 days.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 April 2010

We were comfortable and the location ideal. Many thanks for installing the ceiling fans since the heat was unbearable. Points to note: the bath is too high and the ledge around the bath is too wide. This makes it a hazard getting in and out, perhaps you could instal a shower stall since the bath room is large enough. The probability of an accident is high and a consequent liability claim could be large The shower curtain around a portion of the bath is ineffective and gives the bather very little room to manoeuvre. Suggest more towel racks in the bathroom and more hooks on the backs of doors. The wardrobes could be larger with more hangers for longer stay guests. The furniture could be refurbushed to look smarter and reflect the period. Twin beds, rather than double beds in the rooms would accomodate guests better. Security was satisfactory. The staff were very friendly and accomodating. I am sorry you did not drop in to meet us.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 November 2009

I stayed at Mountain Manor luxury suites - the pool area is great, my wife could relax whilst we went to work. The staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business