“Home from Home” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #143 of 163 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Home from Home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

On entering the Guest House I felt the warmth eminated. The guest house had wonderful staff from Malawi greeting me and showing me around. I stayed in one of their upstairs rooms called the "superior room". I honestly loved the colonial feel to the place, the cleaness and helpful owner who somehow never said no.
I was fetched from the airport
I required supper one evening
Could help myself to muffines and coffee in their tea room / breakfast room
I spent one of my evenings relaxing by the pool area and another night invited 3 business associates over to entertain by the pool.
I highly recommend this place. If you want the clinical look and feel then go to a hotel.

Room Tip: Cleanliness, friendlyness, value, truth
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

Due to changes in our itinerary we required a hotel room for one night. I found this Guesthouse offering an excellent rate, the room was described as a "queen". We found ourselves at the back end of the hotel, which appeared to be a warren of rooms.
On entering the "queen" we had to carefully plan where we could open our suitcases (2), to my dismay we then found we had a shared bathroom. Nothing of this was mentioned when we booked the room.
I didn't feel the rooms were secure as the doors (some may say they had character) were old cracked wood. We were on the ground floor (which we knew about) it was quite feasible for someone to look into the room so no real privacy.
The room was clean. The staff were polite but with no real initative when presented with issues. The TV was hung high on the wall parallel with the bed so unable to view unless you gave yourself a crick in the neck. This is not a hotel we will be using again.

Room Tip: Choose higher floors
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
MJWhitehead, Owner at Mountain Manor Guesthouse, responded to this review, 11 December 2011
Dear Sir

You booked our BUDGET QUEEN room, the cheapest room in our Guest House - a downscaled room in the back fo the Guest Hosue and an upscaled room from the Back Packers - it SHARES a bathroom - on EVERY site we advertise it specifies that this room shares a bathroom.

You were offered an upgrade to another room and you refused this.
You then accussed ''someone'' of stealing your ring, which you consequently found.

I am sorry you have to 'knock' what Mountain Manor offers and slate us to the public, when in fact, YOU were the one trying to travel cheap.

Travellers are raving about these Cape Town Central hotels

Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

What a way to end a trip, at Mountain Manor guest house, right under table mountain, close to shops and a short taxi ride to the waterfront and the beaches. Charming staff and Michelle, the owner was a wonderful host. She couldnt have made my stay any more comfortable. Very good value for money

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

This place is a joke and the whole establishment is run like the associated back-packers' lodge:
- no staff visible after 9.00pm
- a self service bar
- furniture from a junk shop
- dirty carpets
- terrible decoration and dangerous looking wiring
- jemmied doors with recently fitted locks - hardly offering confidence
- a condom in the bathroom (unused but after its sell-by date)
- a disfunctional exit gate from the car park - not a great discovery when one is trying to leave early for a flight

In summary, this place disgracefully unprofessional in its facilities and management. Avoid!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
MJWhitehead, Owner at Mountain Manor Guesthouse, responded to this review, 21 November 2011
I find this review amazing.
In a 3 star property which ozzes Cape colonial charm and antique furniture (tasteful antique furniture at that) to be called a junk shop is amazing.
We have brand new carpets in most of the rooms and hallways - I dont understand what this person is talking about.
Jimmied walls - hardly - in order to keep the orginal door frmaes dating back to 1805 - some holes had to be patched - and they were patched with oregan filler as per the wood experts advice. This guest obviously cannot distinguish.
Being a Guest House which is bed and breakfast - I cannot imagine what this guest wanted with someone on duty past 9pm at night. We do need to sleep as well especially seeing that we are up from 5.30am each day.
I also find it absolutely amazing that Guests will stay and wait to write horrid reviews instead of voicing their horrers at point of action.!! Amazing.
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

We stayed with a large group (we had almost the entire facility) - the staff was helpful and friendly. The rooms really vary in size and amenities - we got one of the smallest rooms, which was fine except for the shortage of power outlets (there was only one that we could use, so we had to schedule times to charge our cameras and computers).

There is only one key, so if you split up with your roommate, make sure he/she leaves the key because the staff doesn't stay up late at night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back - they are MUCH bigger and away from the street.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2011

We arrived late on a Saturday night , fatigued after being on the go for 20 hours, and were desperate to have a nice homely welcome and a cup of tea before settling down for the night. However, when we were shown our self catering apartment, our worst fears were realised. 2 teabags,sugar, but no milk for our tea. The bathroom was the pits. The loo lid was detached from the seat, the shower contained two part used shampoo sachets from previous guests, the moulding around both bath and shower were black. Light fittings were missing in both the lounge and bathroom. The french window could not be locked properly, yet with the amount of other keys given to us one felt one was living in Fort Knox. The one certain point made by the "receptionist" was to ensure payment made at the start, fatigued or not. To be fair, the bed was comfortable, and the linen was acceptable. God knows how an initiate to South Africa, if this was to have been an introduction to their first visit to South Africa. We had toyed with staying on for a few more days in Cape Town, but this experience put us off. How ever did this establishment achieve a 3 star commendation? The literature and Internet blurb promised so much, but was a disaster. Our trips to Wilderness and Stellenbosch were marvellous, full of charm , curtesy and quality. I wonder if the Mountain Manor want their derisory piece of soap back .We could wrap it up in the transparent toilet roll supplied.

Room Tip: Avoid like the plague
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
MJWhitehead, Owner at Mountain Manor Guesthouse, responded to this review, 11 July 2011
To whom it may concern
I am absolutely amazed by your review and also wish to ask if you posted the 2 photo's next to your review??? I if you did - they do NOT belong to our apartments or brochure at all. We do NOT have sash windows in the apartments at Serengeti into which you were booked so i cannot quite understand what you are talking about.
We have 2 ply toilet paper in these apartments and my staff swear that the quality checks were done and that NO empty shampoo sachets lay in the shower.
I am saddened that you did not report any of these problems at reception at check out time so that matters could have been resolved or investigated further from my side.
Please also do not slate Mountain Manor - when in fact you stayed at Serengeti Apartments.
Pretoria
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2011

I've noticed that there are some mixed reviews for Mountain Manor and I think this is because they also offer accommodation outside the "manor", which seems to be to a much lower standard.

We were in 404 Serengeti, a one-bedroom self-catering apartment in a block of flats opposite the street from the house that features on most of their pictures. The apartment is reasonably spacious and in a good location. For the money you pay probably reasonable value if they could just clean it up a bit (we paid R650 a night for two people).

On the downside, the building looks a bit run down and the apartment is dirty. For the daily rate a "light dusting" type of cleaning service is included, but it's exceptionally light. The carpet in the living room is appallingly dirty. There are two couches of which one was so dirty I really couldn't bring myself to sit on it. There were also discarded cigarette butts on the balcony and lots of dirt to be found throughout the apartment as soon as one started having a closer look. For instance, I discovered breadcrumbs and some sugar on one of the dining chairs when I pulled it out on the first morning. Some of the glasses in the cupboard were also quite dirty when we took them out and had to be cleaned before use. I don't mind the light dusting service, but I would really expect them to clean it properly before new guests check in. It's quite clear though that this apartment hasn't been properly cleaned in a while. There were other minor irritations (curtains in bedroom cannot close the full window area properly, ceiling paint coming off etc.) but the biggest by far was just that the place felt dirty.

The apartment also smelled of stale smoke. Not being a smoker this put me off quite a bit every time I came in from outside. I'm not sure if smoking is actually allowed inside the apartment, but by the smell of it probably is, which could be an advantage for the smokers out there.

Bathroom is en-suite with a bath only, but has a shower head. Unfortunately the geyser (aka boiler, aka thing that makes water hot) is also above the bath and this means tall folks cannot stand in it. I'm 1.82m and I couldn't stand fully upright in the "shower". I managed to shower in it with fairly minimal discomfort, but if you're any taller it probably won't work for you at all.

This apartment had two single beds that were pushed together, which I always find uncomfortable. Definitely prefer a decent double bed, but I guess some people might prefer two singles. I did notice when we checked in that at least the one room visible from reception did have a decent double bed though, which seems to be consistent with their website photos.

Location is very good. I went for a jog every morning while there and really enjoyed the surrounding neighborhood. Streets are clean, plenty trees and parks and decent sidewalks for jogging/walking. It's very convenient for anything in the city bowl. The Gardens shopping mall is within easy walking distance and you should find anything you need for your stay there. Kloof Street with all its restaurants is also walking distance if you're reasonably fit (about a 15min walk), but otherwise a very close drive or cab ride. There are other restaurants even closer though, most notably Limoncello, barely 50m down the street.

Wireless internet is available, but costs extra and I didn't use it as I had brought my own. The apartment was otherwise quite well equipped, although we didn't make use of the kitchen much and generally stayed out of the apartment as much as possible on account of the dirtiness on the one hand and the perfect weather outside on the other.

Overall I was a bit disappointed, but I should have known something was up when I got quoted the cheaper than advertised rate and didn't think to ask why this was. If you have a look at their website this is clear when looking at the difference between "Luxury apartments" and "Self catering". Unfortunately, I didn't. I phoned them using a a phone number advertised on another site and made a booking. The site only had pictures of the "Luxury apartments" and didn't have any clear explanation of the different options available, so I didn't realize until we got there (and it was too late in a peak week in Cape Town to look for alternative options). So do watch out for that! Probably not their fault, but something to be aware of. Be sure to check that you get a "luxury" apartment if the pictures of the restored manor house is what draws you to the place.

As for the apartment we ended up in, I think it's reasonable value but it needs a good cleaning and I wouldn't recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room/apartment inside the house.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple