“Substandard facility - no value for money”

Mountain Manor Guesthouse
Ranked #135 of 155 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
KZN
“Substandard facility - no value for money”
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I arrived at Mountain Manor for check in. The receptionist was clearly a temp staff member and while she was friendly clearly had little enthusiasm for the place. My room had a well-worn carpet with stains in it that had not washed out particularly well. Of the two fans, only one worked. One of the bedside lamps also did not work. All the electrical appliances in the room were wired to one plug behind the beds. I had to pull the one bed away from the wall so I could plug in my cell phone to charge it. I could only charge either my cell phone or my laptop as their is an insufficient number of plugs in the room. The bathroom while clean lacked the basic amenities. One cake of soap which you had to move around from the basin, to the shower, to the bath and one sachet of shampoo which offered barely enough if you have a full head of hair. The breakfast menu that was presented to us was limited. On walking past the kitchen, I got a noseful of dreadful smells - hardly an encouragement. The parking facilities are virtually non-existent - a small lane alongside the building that cannot be easily navigated in a large car. Considering the offering the rate I was charged was exorbitant. There are plenty of places that offer much better facilities and amenities for the price.

Room Tip: Don't go there
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank KznJohn
MJWhitehead, Owner at Mountain Manor Guesthouse, responded to this review, 24 February 2013
Dear disgruntled guest - thank you for your review - I do not know who you are but I can guess - and presume that you were in Room 9.
I have been and checked the fans in the room - you are quite correct - the one air fan is stuck - Thank you for advising us so that I can get it repaired.
We do have a problem with plug points but we will try to make one MORE visible for phone charges, - there is one next to the wardrobe, but you obviously did not see that one.
The lovely silver hand soap container for the handbasin has been stolen and I was unaware of that - thank you for bringing this to my attention.
As far as the carpets go - cream carpets are a nightmare and will be wet cleaned as soon as we have a gap with no no guests. I apologise if they offended you, but I can only do this in low season again.
When you checked in - you had an offer of three types of breakfasts - you CHOSE a continental breakfast - we offer a full buffet and a full cooked English breakfast as well.

I personally checked you in - as long time owner and creator of Mountain Manor, I do take offence to your rude remarks as I personally took you through the whole process, explaining how to get in and out - took you to view the rooms first, showed you the bar and entertainment areas and where to park. I gave you undivided attention.

I am sorry that you found it so necessary not to communicate any problems directly to me when you saw me daily but waited to put it on the internet.

I do hope that you enjoyed the rest of your travels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Cape Town
Reviewed 16 February 2013

We needed a guest house due to our apartment being flooded out. Beautiful colonial guest house....needs some TLC. Staff lovely and friendly. Room very spacious. Would have liked the ceiling fan to have worked. Could certainly recommend.

Room Tip: I did not spend time at the pool, but have heard it is excellent. Upstairs superior rooms lovely.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
MJWhitehead, Owner at Mountain Manor Guesthouse, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
I am so happy you were comfortable during your flooding ordeal. The fan has two chains on it - one either side - one for the fan and one for the light - the fan does work - I checked it immediately.
Rennes, France
Reviewed 24 January 2013

During our recent trip in South Africa, we had to make a last minute booking as we could'nt find any place for the New Year's Eve. Thanks to Gisele from African Twist Travel Agency, she'd booked for us one night at Mountain Manor Guesthouse. The place is just perfect, very peaceful, precious & quiet. Michelle, our host, is helpful and there for any question or tips. I highly recommend Mountain Manor Guesthouse if you have to stop to Cape Town. Sandrine

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for your kind words - it is always a pleasure to experience wonderful Guests. I hope the rest of your travels were excellent.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Be a bit careful here - they will ask you what you want for breakfast weeks before you get there and then expect to charge you for breakfast whether or not you have actually eaten there. We compared prices and discovered that breakfast was much cheaper in town, so we ate in lovely cafes centrally, and then discovered that we had been charged for full breakfast for the full stay even though we had eaten out.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gladys63_10
Dear Mam, our reservations go according to your booking form - on the form you ordered full cooked breakfasts inclusive of buffets for the duration of your stay - and this was catered for on a daily basis. You forgot to mention that we did delete the breakfasts not eaten off your bill in good faith of your misunderstanding. Regards
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 16 October 2012

Exceeded all expectations, very good breakfast, warm ambience. Excellent guest house in city centre, beautifully renovated breakfast area, warm and friendly staff, lovely pool area. Top notch facilities and conference centre. Good security at all times. Attention to smallest detail by Michelle and staff, will surely be back soon

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
MJWhitehead, Owner at Mountain Manor Guesthouse, responded to this review, 10 November 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words - we always strive to do our best for our clients and to make your stay in Cape Town a wonderful experience.
Winterthur, Switzerland
Reviewed 2 October 2012

When it came down to search accomodation in Cape Town i was a little sceptic at first, reading through the reviews on Trip Advisor. We decided to give this place a try and it was well worth it.
If you like older buildings at a central location in Cape Town (Gardens), then this place is a must.
All the rooms are clean, the kitchen is fully equipped and even the pool is clean (seldom seen on our trip through ZA). The owner (sorry, forgot the name) was always very friendly and helpful.
E.g. our phone in our room wasn't working, so she let us use the reception phone free of charge.
The only thing I didn't like about this place was the pricy Wifi Hotspot. 20Rand for 40MB, if I remember correctly.
I would reccomend this place for couples as well as smaller groups.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Montagu, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We had a one-night stay, and wish it could have been longer! The gracious old house has a lovely "colonial" feel to it, there was more than enough space, good quality furniture and a well equipped kitchenette. A small balcony overlooking the pool area added to the charm. Thanks Michelle and staff!

Room Tip: .Rooms in the Guesthouse are lovely - better choice than the apartment block.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple