Our place was on the ground floor, behind the main building and just adequate for 2 persons (in a comfortable double bed). The place was fastidiously clean and had a reasonably well-equipped kitchen for our 8-day stay. Its owner (who lives elsewhere) was talkative, with lots of information and helpful suggestions, and came around almost every day to make sure we didn't need anything. She said we could phone or email her anytime, and her housekeeper (present a few hours every morning) was equally pleasant.
We live in Israel and stayed in Barry Hall with another couple—in Apartment 2, which was MUCH larger than ours and in the main building. My brother-in-law and his wife (in the other apartment) chose this location because of its neighborhood having a significant Jewish population, and they were not disappointed by its character. A pleasant surprise was the large saltwater swimming pool adjacent to the shore and within easy walking distance.
COMPLAINTS (nothing serious—more like annoyances):
1. The different keys to the locks—(1) to the outer gate, (2) to the front door of the main building or to a second gate on the side of the building (leading to our apartment in the rear), and then (3) to each separate apartment—were a nuisance. We had to unlock and then make sure each door or gate was then locked whenever we passed back and forth.
2. Our apartment had a lengthy, very narrow bathroom—containing a toilet, sink and shower. When the glass door to the shower was opened to enable me to take a shower, I had to be something between an acrobat and ballet dancer to get by the sink and into the shower without rubbing my back against the cold bathroom wall. I wouldn't recommend it for someone who is very overweight or unsteady on his/her feet.
3. The Wi-Fi was very convenient (and included in the price of the room), but the password for connecting to the router was different for each apartment and not particularly clear on the sheet of paper provided in each room. It took a bit of fiddling until I got it right.
4. No air conditioning—not a problem for us, since we were there at the end of March. It might be a problem on an occasional hot day in the summer.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Barry Hall has 4 Large selfcatering Apartments and a garden cottage located in Fresnaye on the Atlantic Seaboard.This historic Manor House with its modern Scandinavian interior is suitable for corporate and leisure travelers and anyone appreciating lots of space combined with friendly daily service. The apartments are fully equipped and includes all modern facilities including free internet connection, and has a cozy courtyard garden, including a barbecue facility. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HRS so you can book your Barry Hall Luxury Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barry Hall Luxury Apartments Cape Town, South Africa