“Garden apartment (No. 5)”

Barry Hall Luxury Apartments
Mevaseret Zion (near Jerusalem
“Garden apartment (No. 5)”
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Our place was on the ground floor, behind the main building and just adequate for 2 persons (in a comfortable double bed). The place was fastidiously clean and had a reasonably well-equipped kitchen for our 8-day stay. Its owner (who lives elsewhere) was talkative, with lots of information and helpful suggestions, and came around almost every day to make sure we didn't need anything. She said we could phone or email her anytime, and her housekeeper (present a few hours every morning) was equally pleasant.
We live in Israel and stayed in Barry Hall with another couple—in Apartment 2, which was MUCH larger than ours and in the main building. My brother-in-law and his wife (in the other apartment) chose this location because of its neighborhood having a significant Jewish population, and they were not disappointed by its character. A pleasant surprise was the large saltwater swimming pool adjacent to the shore and within easy walking distance.
COMPLAINTS (nothing serious—more like annoyances):
1. The different keys to the locks—(1) to the outer gate, (2) to the front door of the main building or to a second gate on the side of the building (leading to our apartment in the rear), and then (3) to each separate apartment—were a nuisance. We had to unlock and then make sure each door or gate was then locked whenever we passed back and forth.
2. Our apartment had a lengthy, very narrow bathroom—containing a toilet, sink and shower. When the glass door to the shower was opened to enable me to take a shower, I had to be something between an acrobat and ballet dancer to get by the sink and into the shower without rubbing my back against the cold bathroom wall. I wouldn't recommend it for someone who is very overweight or unsteady on his/her feet.
3. The Wi-Fi was very convenient (and included in the price of the room), but the password for connecting to the router was different for each apartment and not particularly clear on the sheet of paper provided in each room. It took a bit of fiddling until I got it right.
4. No air conditioning—not a problem for us, since we were there at the end of March. It might be a problem on an occasional hot day in the summer.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
South Africa
Reviewed 31 March 2013 via mobile

We stayed here over the Easter weekend, a time when Cape Town accommodation is at a premium. The rate for our apartment at Barry Hall was very good for our family of three. We stayed in apartment 4 on the upper floor. While the building is quite old, the apartment was very comfortable and spacious, with high rise roofs and all amenities required. The only thing we missed, a function of the public holidays, was a cleaning service in the way of towel changes and general clean up. But I would recommend this place, we found it to be very conveniently located, close to good restaurants and with easy access to all parts of Cape Town. We had a hired car, which I would recommend doing anyway, and parking was easy. The service was also good, some minor issues were quickly sorted. All in all, I would stay here again.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
RitaturnerCapeTown, Owner at Barry Hall Luxury Apartments, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
Glad to hear you enjoyed Barry Hall during Easter inspite of the sudden down pour, especially with the Marathon taking place in the City.
The apartments work equelly well if you need a place to chill out with a good book,play a DVD after visiting the local video shop down the road, or as a base for a visit to the many attractions in Cape Town.
We look forward to your future visit at Barry Hall Apartments.
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 6 December 2012

There are many things to like about Barry Hall but I have to say I was a little bit disappointed with some aspects of our stay here. There are some very simple things that they could do to take the experience from 'good' to 'excellent'. I'll start with the good...

Firstly the apartment we stayed in was large and well layed out (apartment 2). It had good sized rooms and was very comfortable. There was a large living room, comfy sofas and a large table to spread your stuff out on.

The location was handy. Literally just down the road from the beach area, minutes from Woolworths (one of the best shops in town for great food and clothes etc), and close to banks, chemists etc - everything you need when travelling. All of which are important if you are planning on cooking a few meals at home and just unwinding after a long day of sight seeing.

The service was friendly and booking the room was easy (via email) and the rates were very reasonable. The free Wifi was definitely a bonus and was one of the main reasons why we booked Barry Hall in the first place.

The decor was stylish with high white ceilings, decorative cornice, marble fireplace, wooden floorboards and warm, inviting persian rugs (exactly my style). But here is when things start to get a little rough... on closer inspection I noticed the walls had been poorly patched in places which they hadn't bothered to paint over. The blinds were missing parts and the lights on the wall were slightly lop-sided. All of these things I admit are small grievances and I'd be more than willing to forgive them given the overall charming vibe to the place but there are a few other fundamentals which weren't quite right.

Firstly there was no air-conditioning which meant that in an attempt to get cool at night we opened the windows and were then eaten alive by the mosquitoes (thankfully malaria free in Cape Town!). The bed was hard and uncomfortable and by the end of our stay I was glad to heading back to my own bed. The TV was small with a very poor selection of cable TV. We stayed for two weeks so there were times when we just wanted to chill out in front of the TV and I'm afraid the selection (mainly sport and news with some movies) just didn't do it for me.

Also there was no washing machine or dryer although there was a laundry service available upon request. I would have much preferred to just wash and dry things as I go.

Another thing that made our stay slightly uncomfortable (and this is the biggest negative for me) was the fact that I felt a bit unsafe on the ground floor. The security seemed a lax (compared to other places we had stayed - this isn't our first trip to Cape Town). The front gate was loose and the windows only had the old fashioned swivel latches to lock them with and no security bars (usually standard in Cape Town). Also we seemed to be the only people who abided by the 'under no circumstances is the front door to be left unlocked' rule. It was constantly left unlocked by the other guests and this could be easily have been avoided by fixing a lock that automatically locks when you close the door. As we were on the ground floor we would be the first apartment targeted had someone broken in (thankfully they didn't while we were there). This slight sense of unease wasn't helped by our taxi driver who gave us a friendly tip to make sure we avoided walking the Main Street (just meters away) at night.

Overall I would have to say that our stay was good but not as good as it could have been. The addition of air-conditioning, a washing machine and dryer, a more comprehensive satellite TV selection and better security would have made all the difference. But the ambiance of the place, the cleanliness, the friendly service and the convenient location were definitely positives.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here ask for an upstairs apartment
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rachael h
RitaturnerCapeTown, Owner at Barry Hall Luxury Apartments, responded to this review, 9 December 2012
I regret apartment 2 did not meet your expectations and would like to comment as follows:
There may be a perception of lack of security in the country, which is sometimes exaggerated, whilst we do our utmost to make our guests comfortable during their stay, it is difficult to control other guests' behaviour i.r.o. safety, my request to them was sometimes ignored.
I appreciate the suggestion of a "slam lock" on our front door which will be fitted (it will add to the SA fortress appearance) but could be useful.
We have fans in each apartment in place of airconditioning which is not commonly used here.
The mosquitoes bother could have been avoided by informing our staff, who would have installed a mosquito repellent.
We offer a laundry service at a nominal cost to allow our guests more time to enjoy Cape Town, this has been appreciated by previous visitors, and we plan to continue this service.
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Absolutely beautiful apartments! Really took by breath away. The cleaning staff (a lovely woman) keeps the apartment spotless, and the facility is really all-inclusive: kitchen appliances, free wi-fi, phone, TV, hair dryers, extra converters, etc. The location may seem out of the way of 'downtown Cape Town,' but it is just a 10 or 15 minutes easy drive. Being in the suburbs, the location is extremely safe and quiet, and is 2 blocks from a beautiful walking/running promenade along the beach. There are restaurants within walking distance, as well as a Woolworths supermarket, bank, etc. I couldn't have chosen a better place to stay!

Room Tip: Request the second floor, so you get a view!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
RitaturnerCapeTown, Owner at Barry Hall Luxury Apartments, responded to this review, 31 October 2012
Zoliwe, our housekeeper will be very happy too, that you have recognised her pride in her work at Barry Hall Apartments. She keeps the apartments immaculate, and has been instrumental in the success of making our guests feel at home in Cape Town.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 8 May 2012

My husband and I took his mother to Cape Town so that she could visit with her brother. We spent 13 days in a two bedroom apartment at Barry Hall and found it was perfect for our needs. It was spacious, with lovely furnishings, and the balcony was a big bonus. The location is very convenient to the shops, resaurants and that gorgeous oceanside walkway. A great place to stay !

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Jeannette H
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Our family of four spent 5 days staying at Barry Hall. The apartments are sensational. Spacious, beautifully decorated, well equipped and an amazing location. The service and care is exemplary.....and so reasonably priced

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank cimocounselling
RitaturnerCapeTown, Owner at Barry Hall Luxury Apartments, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
I am very happy you enjoyed your stay at Barry Hall Apartments, more so as you had travelled a long way to experience Cape Town and all this beautiful City has to offer.
I am glad you enjoyed the amenities at Barry Hall, we spend some time every year renovating and improving the apartments so you will have to come back and check out our planned renovation in May of the 3 bathrooms in” your” apartment.
Kind regards
Rita
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 January 2012

The positive:
- Friendly manager.
- Good cleaning staff (but not on public holidays).
- Free internet was nice and uncommon addition for the region.
- Decent location.

The Negative:
- Selected due to 4 sleeper capabilities, however “makeshift” beds 3 and 4 placed randomly in the unit were very uncomfortable. Lack of room darkening contributed to this discomfort.
- Poor sound insulation. Could easily hear the people next door and above. Woke up to vomiting noises and very late night parting on a few occasions.
- Terrible bathroom. Tub was removed and replaced with useless 3 sided shower. (Water pressure was poor and inconsistent temperatures, and no shower door resulted in a wet bathroom floor. Could also hear and see people will showering, through the window situated in line with the shower.. crazy!)
- No fan or air con. Needed to close the windows due to noise.. resulted in a stuff unit.
- No TV in bedroom. (Not able to relax and watch TV in bed after a long hike, or when kids in bed).
- Very old building resulting in sticking locks, draws, windows and doors. The bedroom door was so difficult to open, my 12 year old son could not manage.
- The floor boards are very old and noisy. (Going to the washroom during the night would wake everyone up!)
- Electrical issues resulted in us arriving home to no lights on 3 occasions.
- “Cheap” compared to other SeaPoint properties, but not good value. This place is more like a high end youth hostel or boarding house!

I am completely dumbfounded by the prior positive reviews for this place. I guess I don’t appreciate the “antique element”. I would rather have clean and new!! I also can’t believe this place is 4 stars. For a little more dollars, I think you can do MUCH better.

Room Tip: dont say on the ground floor.... you will hear the people above you!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Dax_Thornhill
RitaturnerCapeTown, Owner at Barry Hall Luxury Apartments, responded to this review, 6 January 2012
I am very sorry that Barry Hall Apartments did not live up to your expectations.
We convey in all advertaising that the building is 100 years old with all the benefits , generous space, renovated interiors retaining the architectual features charatorising a building from that era.
The level of service is as advertised, and as you were visiting at Christmas I confiirm that we do allow our staff time off for Christmas to be with their families on that day..I am sorry if this caused an inconvenience.
The electricity short circuit was brought to my attention at 1130pm, and you were assisted immediately,.Due to the holidays we were unable to get an electrician to attend to the problem the next day..We have recently completed the bathroom conversion to a shower only, which is in line with a preference by most of our guests, we will monitor future feedback from guests.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cape Town Central
#19 of 155 in Cape Town Central
Glen Boutique Hotel & Spa
Glen Boutique Hotel & Spa
#8 of 109 in Cape Town Central

Been to Barry Hall Luxury Apartments? Share your experiences!