“Great Self Serve Accommodation”

Barry Hall Luxury Apartments
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Friendly, welcoming self-serve accommodation. Fantastic location, especially to see my family. We felt secure and well taken care of. The unit was clean and large, we could entertain people easily and it felt like home straight away.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed 15 March 2014

My family and I stayed at Barry Hall for 13 days while in Cape Town for my wedding and found our stay to be absolutely wonderful. We specifically chose Barry Hall for our stay because of the location and because of the size of the apartments. We were traveling with our 10 month old daughter and it was very important for us to have a lovely, large family-friendly establishment that was well situated to the beach, shops and restaurants, but also allowed us just to enjoy being "at home" with our little one. Rita and her staff were incredibly friendly, helpful and also very accommodating with our requests when my parents-in-law joined us. Rita even lovingly surprised me with the most beautiful bouquet of flowers and decorated the stairwell in the house on my wedding day! A gesture that I will forever treasure! Thank you to Rita and her wonderful staff for an amazing stay!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sonia B
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Besides the apartment being tastefully furnished (really lovely), clean and brilliantly located, we were super impressed by how helpful the staff and owners were when we lost our passports and contacted them two weeks after having left the premises. Nothing was too much trouble for them. We had a wonderful holiday - highly recommended!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
RitaturnerCapeTown, Owner at Barry Hall Luxury Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Thank you for your kind review.
I can unfortunately totally understand the panic of having lost passports,
as I have been in a similar situation in Paris years ago.
So glad yours were found safely.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

We stayed in a spacious, well furnished two bedroom apartment. The accommodations are modern and fresh, and we were near a good breakfast stop and any essential shopping. Transportation was easy as the apartment in near both the city bus and the tourist red bus line. One day we walked to the V&A waterfront for a little exercise. Rita, the owner, is wonderfully helpful. With a late night arrival in CapeTown we appreciated her arranging transportation and meeting us at the apartment to help us get settled in and oriented. And she was just as helpful at the end of our stay arranging transport to the airport.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ann W
Reviewed 6 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a week in December 2012; the 3 bedroom apartment we stayed in was in good condition and I personally enjoyed the FREE WI-FI! I will definitely visit again when I'm in Cape Town.

Parking can be a slight challenge; we couldn't drive out on our second day as some of the guests parked behind our car and left - we nearly missed our Robben Island tour; luckily we had two cars so we ended up doing two trips to V&A Waterfront. On our last day I scratched the hired car drinking out.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Our place was on the ground floor, behind the main building and just adequate for 2 persons (in a comfortable double bed). The place was fastidiously clean and had a reasonably well-equipped kitchen for our 8-day stay. Its owner (who lives elsewhere) was talkative, with lots of information and helpful suggestions, and came around almost every day to make sure we didn't need anything. She said we could phone or email her anytime, and her housekeeper (present a few hours every morning) was equally pleasant.
We live in Israel and stayed in Barry Hall with another couple—in Apartment 2, which was MUCH larger than ours and in the main building. My brother-in-law and his wife (in the other apartment) chose this location because of its neighborhood having a significant Jewish population, and they were not disappointed by its character. A pleasant surprise was the large saltwater swimming pool adjacent to the shore and within easy walking distance.
COMPLAINTS (nothing serious—more like annoyances):
1. The different keys to the locks—(1) to the outer gate, (2) to the front door of the main building or to a second gate on the side of the building (leading to our apartment in the rear), and then (3) to each separate apartment—were a nuisance. We had to unlock and then make sure each door or gate was then locked whenever we passed back and forth.
2. Our apartment had a lengthy, very narrow bathroom—containing a toilet, sink and shower. When the glass door to the shower was opened to enable me to take a shower, I had to be something between an acrobat and ballet dancer to get by the sink and into the shower without rubbing my back against the cold bathroom wall. I wouldn't recommend it for someone who is very overweight or unsteady on his/her feet.
3. The Wi-Fi was very convenient (and included in the price of the room), but the password for connecting to the router was different for each apartment and not particularly clear on the sheet of paper provided in each room. It took a bit of fiddling until I got it right.
4. No air conditioning—not a problem for us, since we were there at the end of March. It might be a problem on an occasional hot day in the summer.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We stayed here over the Easter weekend, a time when Cape Town accommodation is at a premium. The rate for our apartment at Barry Hall was very good for our family of three. We stayed in apartment 4 on the upper floor. While the building is quite old, the apartment was very comfortable and spacious, with high rise roofs and all amenities required. The only thing we missed, a function of the public holidays, was a cleaning service in the way of towel changes and general clean up. But I would recommend this place, we found it to be very conveniently located, close to good restaurants and with easy access to all parts of Cape Town. We had a hired car, which I would recommend doing anyway, and parking was easy. The service was also good, some minor issues were quickly sorted. All in all, I would stay here again.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
RitaturnerCapeTown, Owner at Barry Hall Luxury Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2013

Glad to hear you enjoyed Barry Hall during Easter inspite of the sudden down pour, especially with the Marathon taking place in the City.
The apartments work equelly well if you need a place to chill out with a good book,play a DVD after visiting the local video shop down the road, or as a base for a visit to the many attractions in Cape Town.
We look forward to your future visit at Barry Hall Apartments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cape Town Central
Atlantic Affair Boutique Hotel
Atlantic Affair Boutique Hotel
#45 of 156 in Cape Town Central
Rhonda's Manor Guest House

Been to Barry Hall Luxury Apartments? Share your experiences!