“Nice view and room but poor breakfast”

Radium Hall Guest House
Ranked #54 of 156 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 September 2013

The guesthouse is situated near Signal Hill and Lion's Head and has a beautiful view on Cape Town and the Table Mountain! When we arrived the owner was gone for shopping, so another guest of the guesthouse has given our key's of our room. When we arrived in our room, the first thing I had to do, was going to the toilet, but there was no toiletpaper and de owner was away :s We also found a pair of shoes in the wardrobe. We stayed in the room on the first floor and it was very large, clean (exept the bathroom, there was mold on the ceiling and the shower wasn't cleaned very well), but very cold! It's was very cold outside at that moment (september) and the (little) heater didn't work. So we took twice a hot shower that evening for warming us up. The breakfast was poor and is monotonous. We got yoghurt, fresh fruit, an egg and 2 slices of toast with only jam. This is good for 1 day, but if you are staying multiple night is very monotonous. The lady who serve the breakfast is shy.
We could leave our luggage in the guesthouse on the day of checking-out. But when we asked the owner were we have to put them, he didn't give us an answer (we think he was drunk that morning). The lady of the breakfast told us on the last morning that we could leave our luggage in our room and keep our key's untill we check-out later on the day. When we arrived in the evening, nobody was home. So we closed the doors and put our key's in the letterbox outside.
So it was a very nice room with a beautiful view, but poor service and breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
jamin k, Manager at Radium Hall Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

I am writing this reply to express my appreciation for the traveller to be able to write reviews on Tripadvisor, and I can honestly say that I have only had 2 bad reviews. But I am disappointed at the review that I have received from the above guests....! We are a small guest house and among many small guest houses that go out of our way to please and look after the guest staying with us... Yet its disheartening to see some people only wanting to sit on there lap tops and scrutinise us with a magnifying glass and in so hurting our business with there over the top slandering of our business.

We are a small guest house with only 1 manager and 1 staff and as we try out best to be there when we know a guest will be bookin in, We also need to go down to the shops to get supplies. So unfortunately this happened this time and luckily I had made such good friends with one of my other very happy guests, they merely opened up for the above guests....!
Also the reason that I had to go down to the shops was beacause I had to buy toilet paper amongst other things...for there room.

The mould that they were so disgusted in was in fact due to Cape Town having the highest rainfall in recorded history in 1 month, and basically the concrete roof or ceiling merely was discoloured because of a small water leak which has been fixed, and I hav had to let it dry out before painting it white again....!!! and did not want a paint smell in the re room when they arrived.

Also these people are coming to have a holiday in one of our coldest months and need to complain about how cold it is.....????and our heater that does work but needs time to warm up the room, also we have sufficient blankets and bedding to keep warm.
I recommend these people come visit Cape Town/ South Africa during our December months were its 30 degrees in the evenings and not so cold for them...!!!

Also I have never had a complaint about my breakfast and during there 3 day stay I served the fresh fruiter yogurts, fresh juice, strong filter coffee and merely asked them what they would like and they replied with a YES to bacon, eggs done to there specification, fried tommoto and mushrooms plus a variety of health and seeded breads. But I have taken this criticism an have improved our breakfasts bringing more variety and combinations.

Then the real reason I am wanting to reply to this review is because of the fact that these guests have attacked myn and my staffs personality, and have written untrue and damaging reports about us... Firstly we have a very friendly and hard working staff that is still training and we admit that she is not a Public Relations Officer but tries her best to engage our guests and maby these guests weren't open enough for my poor girl to be more chatty...!

Then I read in there review that they ("THINK I WAS DRUNK"), The morning in question I was off duty and had woken up at 8 o clock and was not in my suit and tie and maby unshaven but not drunk.....!! And want to set the record straight. I also went on to offer them a service that we normally do not do, which is for them to leave there bags in there room and then go and enjoy the day with out the hassle of bags in there car as out check out time is 11 o clock AM. But to keep our keys and come back, collect there bags and go to there late flight... So again in my defence I might of had to slip down to the shop and was regrettably not there to assist them with there now very late departure....???

I am writing this reply to the potential clients reading the above review, and want to assure and promise you that we are a very proud and professional guest house that will go out of our way to accommodate your every need and make your stay in Cape Town a wonderful one. Thanking you ever so much for taking the time to read this and hope to meet all your expectations when you come and stay at our guest house.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

A great mix of modern open space but still keeps that friendly feel. The views are fantastic with Table Mountain and Lion Rock behind you then all of Cape Town off to the horizon. My room was very comfortable, clean and quiet.
The kitchen and eating area are completely open plan and I am not sure that works as you can see and hear everything going on.
It was not 100% finished when I was there and they were short staffed which effected the service but it was such a small concern that I have already booked a room for when I next visit Cape Town in February 2014.
Margie and Jamon are very friendly and always looking out to make sure people are happy.
I would have no problems in recommending this as a place to stay.

Room Tip: I did not see the other rooms but the one at top of stairs on the right was great.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ben K
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I've stayed with Margie and co. at Radium Hall on three separate occasions, and recommended the place to all of my friends. She is unbelievably kind, gracious, helpful, and accommodating. The rooms are clean, modern, and super comfy. Breakfast in the morning is top notch! Margie's son and the other staff are always available, give great recommendations, and make the place extremely pleasant. I can't recommend it enough! Enjoy!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We were not planning on staying at a B&B. It was a last minute decision that ended up being a wonderful surprise. It was a beautiful location, nostalgic and very comfortable. The very easy time frame for guests was comfortable. Breakfast in the morning was a nice plus. At first the lack of a/c was a concern, but the Cape Town breeze proved to add comfort. We met some wonderful people there and would return in a heartbeat.

Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Stay at Radium Hall--you won't regret it!!

We stayed for two nights, in the 'cottage' rooms, which are one king and one 2-twins next to each other and outside the main house. Lovely little places with nice amenities; simple, old-fashioned in theme but charming and definitely containing all you might need (except A/C, though with Cape Town's winds and the cool-capturing concrete walls we didn't need it, even in high 80s temps).

The location is just perfect for people who don't want to be down on Long Street and in the craziness. Parking wasn't a problem, it's quiet enough to sleep with the windows open, and Table Mountain is *right* behind the house--five minutes' drive up to the cable car launch point! Also lots of great dining options within a few minutes of the house, down on Kloof St and down-down on Long, if you want to explore the city a bit. Easy drive over to Camps Bay Drive (leading you to the beach and the lovely shore drive out to Cape Point, etc.) and maybe 20 mins' drive from CT airport.

Rates were very reasonable and breakfast was a simple affair of eggs cooked to order, fresh fruits, cereals, etc. all done very nicely and served with a smile in the main house.

Couldn't ask for a better place to stay right in Cape Town! And Margie's staff are SO kind--eager to accommodate special requests, offer tips and suggestions for must-see/do/eat/etc.
and not just about the region; they gave us great ideas for Stellenbosch/Franschhoek, too!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I live in Cape Town and regulary get friends, family, coleagues or clients over to visit me. I always try to get them into Radium Hall. There rooms and service are professional enough that I can put overseas clients in there.
It's convenient because it's not far from where I live, but it's also located close to Kloof street with shops restaurants, pubs, etc., so my guests can entertain themselves when i don't have time. It's the most economic place I know that provides professional rooms and service for this price.
Jamie and Margie are very friendly and helpfull.
I recommend it for both holiday and business stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 July 2011

...we stayed there for the first couple of days on our "around the world trip" 2007! margie and her team were very helpful & so nice! wonderful rooms, jummy breakfast, good location....we love cape town and would come back to radium hall any time! THANK YOU :-)
Sandra & Elmar, Switzerland