“Great value, breathtaking views, lovely staff”

Radium Hall Guest House
Ranked #51 of 156 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

I was visiting capetown for the first time to attend a wedding of a friend who lived in tamboerskloof. Wanting to be near the family we opted to stay in this region and I am so glad we did! It is a very safe area, set back off the busy roads and beautifully peaceful. Prices for accocodation in this area vary but we chose Radium hall due to it's good reviews and pictures of the amazing view of table mountain and we were not dissapointed. Being used to the ridiculous rates of London we were slightly dubious that all may not be as it seems because of the low price, but when we arrived it supparsed all expectations. The rooms are so spacious, clean and well presented. The bed was so comfy I regretted having to get up and enjoy the city and the bathroom always clean and very modern. Best of all is the view, every room has a balcony that opens out onto the most breathtaking view of table mountain, lions head abd out across the whole of cape town, which is just as beautiful at night with a bottle of wine on the terrace as it is in the glorious morning sunshine over breakfast. We were greeted by Julia who let us in, gave us the keys, kindly brought us some cold juice and let us be, there was no fuss, no big sell and after a long flight it was perfect. We stayed for 6 nights and by the end it felt like home. Julia and all the other staff were so helpful, nothing was too much trouble and always with a smile. The owner was also around periodically through out the day, so helpful, full of usefull local information and happy to assist in anyway. If you walk 10 minutes down the road Tamboerskloof itself is a maze of cool and relaxed bars and destination restaurants, it is a hilly region so may not be walkable for older people or those with small children but a cab to kloofneck road is 30 rand (1.50) abd can be hailed from the streets. It is not walking distance from the center of cape town but cabs are so reliable and affordable (expect to pay about 40 rand to the waterfront, which is about £2.50) and I would say it was definatly a price I was happy to pay for the amazing views from radium hall. I will absolutely be going back!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Having stayed in quite a few guest houses as a South African resident my expectation are always very high. This view is as good as it gets with uninterrupted views of Table Mountain in a very quiet culdesac yet a 10 minute walk to the best restaurants on Kloof street. The rooms are luxurious with the most comfortable bed and linen, and I am very fussy. Julia was a wonderful host for breakfast and we felt relaxed taking in the views and enjoying breakfast at a slow pace.

Comfortably and tastefully furnished with a sense of home and enough space for all guests to feel like the only ones there. I would say not the ideal location for very young children as there is a definite sense of romance in the air!

Spotless and well sized rooms. Thank you Jammen and Julia for making our stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: All the rooms looked great.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We have stayed in the Guesthouse over New Years eve for 4 nights. The locaton of the house is very good. The neighbourhood is calm and the view over Cape Town and to the Table mountain are gorgeous. The room was big and very clean. The bed was big and very confortable. The staff have been very friendly. It is a reall good place for staying in Cape Town.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Swissbear07
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Great location overlooking city of Cape Town and you can almost put your hand out and touch with Table Mountain. Clean rooms and very friendly and helpful staff, with excellent food. 10 min walk to nearest restaurant so everything is quite close. Would recommend.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Heather E
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Modern rooms with glorious views of Cape Town from the large veranda in the front of the building . Very welcoming host , pleasant and helpful . Good wholesome breakfast . quiet and safe area but close to the centre of the town

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 27 September 2013

The guesthouse is situated near Signal Hill and Lion's Head and has a beautiful view on Cape Town and the Table Mountain! When we arrived the owner was gone for shopping, so another guest of the guesthouse has given our key's of our room. When we arrived in our room, the first thing I had to do, was going to the toilet, but there was no toiletpaper and de owner was away :s We also found a pair of shoes in the wardrobe. We stayed in the room on the first floor and it was very large, clean (exept the bathroom, there was mold on the ceiling and the shower wasn't cleaned very well), but very cold! It's was very cold outside at that moment (september) and the (little) heater didn't work. So we took twice a hot shower that evening for warming us up. The breakfast was poor and is monotonous. We got yoghurt, fresh fruit, an egg and 2 slices of toast with only jam. This is good for 1 day, but if you are staying multiple night is very monotonous. The lady who serve the breakfast is shy.
We could leave our luggage in the guesthouse on the day of checking-out. But when we asked the owner were we have to put them, he didn't give us an answer (we think he was drunk that morning). The lady of the breakfast told us on the last morning that we could leave our luggage in our room and keep our key's untill we check-out later on the day. When we arrived in the evening, nobody was home. So we closed the doors and put our key's in the letterbox outside.
So it was a very nice room with a beautiful view, but poor service and breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
jamin k, Manager at Radium Hall Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

I am writing this reply to express my appreciation for the traveller to be able to write reviews on Tripadvisor, and I can honestly say that I have only had 2 bad reviews. But I am disappointed at the review that I have received from the above guests....! We are a small guest house and among many small guest houses that go out of our way to please and look after the guest staying with us... Yet its disheartening to see some people only wanting to sit on there lap tops and scrutinise us with a magnifying glass and in so hurting our business with there over the top slandering of our business.

We are a small guest house with only 1 manager and 1 staff and as we try out best to be there when we know a guest will be bookin in, We also need to go down to the shops to get supplies. So unfortunately this happened this time and luckily I had made such good friends with one of my other very happy guests, they merely opened up for the above guests....!
Also the reason that I had to go down to the shops was beacause I had to buy toilet paper amongst other things...for there room.

The mould that they were so disgusted in was in fact due to Cape Town having the highest rainfall in recorded history in 1 month, and basically the concrete roof or ceiling merely was discoloured because of a small water leak which has been fixed, and I hav had to let it dry out before painting it white again....!!! and did not want a paint smell in the re room when they arrived.

Also these people are coming to have a holiday in one of our coldest months and need to complain about how cold it is.....????and our heater that does work but needs time to warm up the room, also we have sufficient blankets and bedding to keep warm.
I recommend these people come visit Cape Town/ South Africa during our December months were its 30 degrees in the evenings and not so cold for them...!!!

Also I have never had a complaint about my breakfast and during there 3 day stay I served the fresh fruiter yogurts, fresh juice, strong filter coffee and merely asked them what they would like and they replied with a YES to bacon, eggs done to there specification, fried tommoto and mushrooms plus a variety of health and seeded breads. But I have taken this criticism an have improved our breakfasts bringing more variety and combinations.

Then the real reason I am wanting to reply to this review is because of the fact that these guests have attacked myn and my staffs personality, and have written untrue and damaging reports about us... Firstly we have a very friendly and hard working staff that is still training and we admit that she is not a Public Relations Officer but tries her best to engage our guests and maby these guests weren't open enough for my poor girl to be more chatty...!

Then I read in there review that they ("THINK I WAS DRUNK"), The morning in question I was off duty and had woken up at 8 o clock and was not in my suit and tie and maby unshaven but not drunk.....!! And want to set the record straight. I also went on to offer them a service that we normally do not do, which is for them to leave there bags in there room and then go and enjoy the day with out the hassle of bags in there car as out check out time is 11 o clock AM. But to keep our keys and come back, collect there bags and go to there late flight... So again in my defence I might of had to slip down to the shop and was regrettably not there to assist them with there now very late departure....???

I am writing this reply to the potential clients reading the above review, and want to assure and promise you that we are a very proud and professional guest house that will go out of our way to accommodate your every need and make your stay in Cape Town a wonderful one. Thanking you ever so much for taking the time to read this and hope to meet all your expectations when you come and stay at our guest house.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

A great mix of modern open space but still keeps that friendly feel. The views are fantastic with Table Mountain and Lion Rock behind you then all of Cape Town off to the horizon. My room was very comfortable, clean and quiet.
The kitchen and eating area are completely open plan and I am not sure that works as you can see and hear everything going on.
It was not 100% finished when I was there and they were short staffed which effected the service but it was such a small concern that I have already booked a room for when I next visit Cape Town in February 2014.
Margie and Jamon are very friendly and always looking out to make sure people are happy.
I would have no problems in recommending this as a place to stay.

Room Tip: I did not see the other rooms but the one at top of stairs on the right was great.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business