“Comfortable and Clean Rooms”

Urban Chic Boutique Hotel
Ranked #92 of 111 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 18 December 2012

This hotel has 24 hour reception which is great. The staff are knowledgeable with local area tourist attractions etc and were always happy to help. The location is great, with lots of restaurants, cafe and bars on the strip. It is very centrally located to the waterfront and Table Mountain etc. The room are spacious and very clean. We had a window which overlooked the main strip which was really nice. Not as noisy as I was expecting after reading some of the reviews however, Friday and Saturday nights were a little loader but nothing unacceptable, plus if your staying in that area and are on holidays, well you should be out there anyway! Not really the location for someone that wants to just chill in their room. There are lots of other hotels just outside the main Cape Town city centre that would be peacefully quiet, if your at the age bracket to want no noise! Great location for young people and those that are young at heart!!! Daily breakfast was included in our package and it was very nice! Coffee, juice, pastry, mufins, cereal, bacon and eggs etc. We hired a car and we were able to safely park it in the hotel guest parking free of charge, now thats great! I guess at the end of the day, the question is, would i stay here again and/or recommend it, and the answer is, ABSOLUTELY YES!!!

Room Tip: The higher the better and facing Long Street, so that you have a view of Table Mountain from your ro...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Urban Chic Boutique Hotel

Reviewed 4 December 2012

My brother and I stayed here in November and had a great stay. The hotel was very nice and the location was great! The staff were so very friendly and helpful. They answered are questions and one of the ladies found koeksisters for me when I couldn't find them nearby. So nice!! There are a lot of good restaurants and bars on the streets nearby and you can catch transport to anything if you don't want to walk. The breakfast was included also and a good way to start the day. I would definitely stay here again! Thanks for making our first Cape Town visit great!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank jberry31
UrbanChicBoutique, General Manager at Urban Chic Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2012

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you so much for your review.

I am so happy that you and your brother enjoyed your stay with us and that Tamsyn was able to find those ever elusive koeksisters for you! We had such a fun time phoning around trying to source them for you and in the process were able to expand our database so that next time someone asks for them we know exactly what to do :-)

We look forward to having you stay with us again next time you are in Cape Town!

With kind regards,

Reviewed 28 November 2012

We really enjoyed staying here and thought the staff was good with some minor exceptions for the breakfast staff that seemed to have too much no their minds to ever get anything right. We stayed for two nights and did so much during the day that by the time we were back to the hotel and were suppose to get ready for dinner we ended up going to a wine store down the street and sushi take out from hotel restaurant. They had just opened the restaurant so they were running a special half off and would bring it to your room :-) The second day we did a wine tour with the company recommended and set up by the hotel - our best wine tour ever (will write a review of them too) with a company called Wine Flies. The wifi at the hotel (at least on our floor) was half working but worked really well in the bathroom which happens to have a huge tub (big enough for two :-) so that made up for it. I felt safe during the day but would advice against walking off main streets late at night alone. There was additional police on the street on weekend nights which helped make us feel safe during our regular wine shop visits. There is also a small grocery store down the street and a larger one even further down the street which we found very useful.

Room Tip: We asked for a room with a view which we kind of got if you leaned out really far :-) I would ask fo...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LisaLing81
Reviewed 26 November 2012 via mobile

This hotel is located on Long street which gives you easy access to some excellent restaurants and bars.

The main asset of this hotel is the front desk staff. They are very friendly and happy to help with excursions, directions, and other needs. Seriously they are the main asset. I've stayed in hundreds of hotels and its rare to have a staff so caring and helpful. They made our trip easier.

The rooms are nicely laid out with large bathrooms with a separate tub from the shower. Very modern look and feel.

Now the critical flaws. The hotel's location on Long street is a big problem if you require sleep. The bars around the hotel play the music so loud that its a party in your room every night. It makes me wonder why they built the hotel here.

The beds are not very comfortable. They are quite firm. That's great if you prefer that but it can be a bit bothersome if you don't.

Those lovely bathrooms I described earlier have a big problem...... No door. Hopefully you don't mind pooping and showering in front of your travel partner. Yes, there is a glass door to the toilet but who are we kidding. The glass door doesn't keep in sounds and it's glass so you can still see. A front desk clerk mentioned that real doors were to be installed. I hope that is the case.

The woman working the breakfast area probably should seek out a new job. She's just so cranky. No smile. No personality. What a great way to wake up and have to interact with a sad person. I was here for several days and she was like that everyday. I ran into her one afternoon on the lift and she was also cranky with no smile. I thought it was the mornings but its really any time of day she is grumpy. She really should seek other employment. The hotel industry is about making people feel welcome.

The breakfast is okay. Not what you'd expect from a 4 star hotel but decent enough.

The Internet is a big problem on many floors. The wifi simply didn't work. I talked with several of the front desk workers and was promised that the router would be reset. Even after that it never worked. There is something wrong with their set up. They really should just change their advertising to say wifi in public areas. That would have prevented the disappointment I had in this area.

In short. This is a nice hotel with some critical flaws that are preventing it from being great.

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I noticed that you scored us 5 out of 5 for our location, cleanliness and service and 4 out of 5 for value and 3 out of 5 for rooms.

I just wanted to address 2 points in your review which I feel need some clarification / feedback.

Firstly the doors on the bathrooms. These are only the twin rooms of which we have 5 out of our 20 rooms. At the time that the hotel was built this was very much the fashionable thing to do, however when our 4 star grading was renewed last month, the assessor mentioned that these doors have recently become a requirement so we have ordered them and they will be installed in the next week or 2.

Then, with regards to your observations on the noise, I would just like to point out that we pride ourselves on our location and in fact it is our main selling point. Our website uses phrases such as "pulse of the city", "bustling melting pot that is Long street", "vibrant nightlife" and more. We have been likened to New Orleans' Bourbon street and downtown New York City - a fact we are very proud of.

Our floor to ceiling windows and sliding doors have thickened glazing and black out curtains which do well to drown out most of the noise. Guests that want peace and tranquility should instead book accommodation in the countryside.

I've never had complaints about our beds before, but as you say, to each his own :-)

I have taken up your complaint about the waitron with the restaurant and they are in the process of dealing with this. Please accept my apologies on this.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 19 November 2012

We can't recommend you this hotel at all, please don't come here. The rooms are dirty: big (!) stains on the carpet floor, hair on the bed, dust everywhere. In the bathroom we had a dripping ceiling and a leaking shower. The breakfast is very weak and you feel no desire at all to eat what's served. Wireless internet did not function for almost the whole stay (4 nights). And it's really noisy: it doesn't matter if the windows are closed or not, you hear the nocturnal noises from Long Street the same, true story! Was the worst hotel on our Western Cape tour. The only good thing about the Urban Chic is Dominic, the friendly receptionist. He knew everything about good places to go, where to eat and what to do.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank SimonL436

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property.

I am disappointed to say the least that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

None of the points you have mentioned in this review were reported by you to me at all during your stay; I wish that they had been so that I could have discussed this with you and possible moved you to a better room or at the very least I could have investigated these claims.

If you read the other reviews (4 of which are also guests who stayed in November 2012), 99% of guests are very happy while staying with us so I am very surprised to learn of the problems that you experienced. I had new guests check-in to the same room the very day you checked out who were very happy and did not have any problems?

As far as the noise is concerned, I would like to point out that we are situated in the heart of the Central Business district in famous Long street which is lined by nightclubs, bars, restaurants, antique stores, and bookstores to name only a few. The Cape Town High Court is only a street away and there are four other 4 star Boutique Hotels in the same street, not to mention the 5 Star Pepper Club Hotel which is right across the road from us.

We pride ourselves on our location and in fact it is our main selling point. Our website uses phrases such as "pulse of the city", "bustling melting pot that is Long street", "vibrant nightlife" and more. We have been likened to New Orleans' Bourbon street and down-town New York City - a fact we are very proud of.

Our floor to ceiling windows and sliding doors have thickened glazing and black out curtains which do well to drown out most of the noise, but to come to Long street and expect absolute silence gives testament to the fact that you had not done your research before making your booking. Guests that want peace and tranquility should instead book accommodation in the countryside.

The WI-FI works on all the hotels floors and we have a router on every floor to ensure this. Perhaps the signal was not picking up properly as your device wasn’t set up correctly? A quick call to reception would have sorted any problems out and ensured that you were able to connect.

I am very glad that you at least liked Dominic, who has been an employee of ours for the last 4 years. I will most definitely pass your comments on to him :-)

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 15 November 2012

I booked this hotel for a friend of mine and I to stay at for our very short stay in Cape Town. Our flight from Canada arrived at 730am and we had been up for close to 48 hours. The hotel staff graciously allowed us to check in as soon as we were there.

Each night, was loud. It's definitely an urban buzz, kind of noise and if you are the type of person that can't sleep with noise outside, move on. This is not the hotel for you.

That being said, the rooms were clean, linens were crisp, wifi was more than adequate, location was spot on and the staff were outstanding.

Tamsyn at the front desk, Coco in the lounge and everyone in between were the highlight of our stay there. I can't wait to return to spend more time in Cape Town, and you can bet that I will be staying here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank elainak
Reviewed 5 November 2012

On Long Street, close to may Restaurants, Bars etc. But Long Street is Busy and loud Till early hours. Room in modern style. WiFi available. Newspaper every mornIng.
Breakfast O.K. But varity, service Not that perfect.
Free Parking

Room Tip: Choose an Upper floor. Probably Not that noisy; party mile Long Street
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple