“Great affordable hotel”

Ranked #90 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Durban, South Africa
“Great affordable hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

A wonderful hotel with awesome staff and the greatest view ever!!! I was early in checking in and the hotel kept my luggage for me so that I did not have to take it all over Cape Town in my car. The room was spotless and extremely spacious. Long Street does get noisy in the evenings but it was great to be in the hub of all the excitement going on.
Thank you Urban Chic for an unforgettable stay and a verrrrrrrrrrrry comfortable bed.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have an awesome view of Table Mountain
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
UrbanChicBoutique, General Manager at Urban Chic Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Dear Ma'am

Thank you ever so much for your awesome review! I am so glad that we made your stay a memorable and enjoyable one!

I do hope that we see you again when next you're in Cape Town!

If we don’t see you again, I wish you and your family a happy, healthy and prosperous 2013!

Siranne van Onselen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Chennai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

Stayed there this May. Clean and spacious rooms. Spacious bathrooms. Courteous and helpful staff. A four star hotel that is very affordable. My rooms (I stayed in two different rooms) and both had a good view of table mountain.

Long street gets a bit noisy though in the nights.

Breakfast spread is decent. At the prices offered on the internet, it is very affordable.

By the way, why do you want a minimum 200-character freeback beats me. You know brevity is the soul of the wit, right ?

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank amkeew
UrbanChicBoutique, General Manager at Urban Chic Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Dear Sir

Thank you very much for your simple and concise feedback!

We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and even happier to see that you have indicated that you will be returning.

Wishing you good health and happiness until we see you again!

Doha, Qatar
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

I stayed in this hotel with my friend just a few days back, spent there quiet a long time, 10 days. We were totally disappointed.
Room was not clean, we found fanta cans, dirty tissues just under the bed and hair in the bathroom. The staff is just looking bored, no enthusiasm, smiles, nothing! Only one guy, the one who works at breakfast was welcoming. The surprise came when we went for a tour and arrived back later in the evening and found out that our foreign currency is missing. 60 euros and 20 pounds which is not a big amount but come on... We informed the staff, who actually told us he would inform the manager. And then? And then they kept quiet about it for days! No apology, no help, no interest, nothing! Last day the manager approached us to ask for a statement, but only because our laundry was missing and she had to come! Otherwise there would have been no act at all! We did not give any statement, anyways what could have they done last day with it? They had a week or more to find out what was going on, but there was nothing done.
Other thing: do not ask for laundry. Our stuff came back in horrific state. White shirts grey, dresses with the same stains on it. Not to mention half of the clothes we've sent were missing. Had to go, phone, wait for them. Unnecessary things.
Breakfast is basic, but ok. Reception can organize you any tours you wish to do, we took a wine tour which was very good, and one to Cape Point, now that one was a bit worse since the tour guide was rushing us, rude and very much over sharing her political ideas..not once she offended me with racial comments.
Rooms are noisy but that can be expected since they are facing Long street. No balcony. Room faced the Table Mountain. Location is good, taxis can be easily caught. Restaurant are nearby.
All together, I enjoyed my stay in Cape Town but I wouldn't stay in this hotel again. Not recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Ma’am

Thank you for your feedback.

As you will see from our Tripadvisor rating as well as the other reviews on Tripadvisor, 95% of our guests have no problems when staying with us.

As far as your allegation of theft is concerned, when you originally reported the money missing, you could not inform my staff when the money had gone missing – we repeatedly asked you for a full and proper statement for 5 days so that we could do a proper investigation but you failed to provide us with this. On the day before you left, you eventually said you would give it to us that day but by the time you checked out, you had still not furnished us with this statement. We DID check the cameras, but without a time frame it is very difficult to tell if someone was in your room other than for the purpose of performing their work duties. Also, we have not had any other allegations of theft as you will see when reading through our reviews. Also Theft is a serious allegation and without proof, it is a very defamatory statement to make.

Just an example: During the time of your stay, we had a guest accuse my staff of stealing his Iphone 5 during the night, he provided us with a statement immediately and we checked the surveillance cameras and determined that none of our staff had entered his room during the times provided by him – not even an hour later he came back to us apologizing profusely because he had found his IPhone in one of his bags.

These things also happen. Perhaps you spent the money and forgot that you had?

I must also point out that I was on leave the first week of your stay but for the last 4 days of your stay I greeted you every morning at breakfast and when you came to the front desk. Because you were out on tours all day, I only saw you in the mornings and my staff liaised with you (as stated above) regarding the statement when you returned.

On the comment sheet that your friend filled out at checkout, he marked Front Desk, Maintenance, and Housekeeping as excellent and then he marked Breakfast and the Restaurant/Bar as good. Clearly he had a good stay?

With regards to your observations on the noise, I would just like to point out that we pride ourselves on our location and in fact it is our main selling point. Our website uses phrases such as "pulse of the city", "bustling melting pot that is Long street", "vibrant nightlife", “surrounded by Nightclubs and Bars”, and more. We have been likened to New Orleans' Bourbon street and downtown New York City - a fact we are very proud of. Bear in mind that it is also season time, so Long street is busier than its normal busy and so a little more noise than normal is to expected.

Unfortunately our Laundry company (which is an outsourced company) did neglect to deliver all your laundry at the same time but when it was all delivered (not even 10 minutes later) you seemed happy, and you made no mention of discolouration or problems with the quality? You are the first guest ever to complain about this service.

I am happy that you liked our waitron, Grant, the view of Table Mountain and our location.

Travellers are raving about these Cape Town Central hotels

Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

We booked online and it was advertised as having a balcony but when we arrived we found the following:
1. The room had not been cleaned as you could see dust everywhere and the shower floor had something growing on it.
2. The tv in the room had obviously fallen out of its cabinet and the corner was broken.
3. Dvd player was not present as advertised.
4. There was no balcony.
I complained and was then moved to a room with a French balcony (just a railing on a sliding door) so no stepping out and as they had two single beds in the room, these were just pushed together and thus there was a big hole as the headboards were fixed in place and couldn’t be moved.
As for parking it is a game of chance if you can get one and they didn’t have a remote for us to access the garage so you have to find somewhere else to park until you can get reception to open up.
When we went for the included breakfast, we were asked which coffee we’d like and then we were presented with a bill for a cappuccino and an espresso. Why ask if you are only serving filter?
The most annoying part of my stay was that this place had a Tripadvisor recommendation sticker up at reception!

Room Tip: It will be noisy.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Deon L
UrbanChicBoutique, General Manager at Urban Chic Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Dear Sir

Thank you for your feedback. As mentioned when you stayed with us, I have taken all your points into consideration and have implemented the changes to the wording on the website through which you booked to omit the DVD player and specify that the balconies in our rooms are Juilette/French balconies

You will see from our rating on tripadvisor and the other reviews that your experience was an isolated one. Seldom do we have guests who are as unhappy as you were.

As I explained to you after you checked in and initially complained, the room that you had booked was a Luxury Double and you also booked it that same morning - while this is not an excuse I hope it at least explains why the room was dusty when you checked in - we were 90% full that day and we only had the one Luxury Double and one Superior Twin room left. Unfortunately that specific Luxury Double room had not been used in a few days and because you checked in at 12h00 (2 hours before normal check-in time and only an hour after I had received the booking, my housekeeping girls had not had a chance to clean the room properly. Again, this is not an excuse and we are deeply sorry for the state that the room was in as this does not adhere to our usually high standards.

I then offered to move you to 604 which is a Superior Twin room and convert the beds to a King - which you agreed to and you didn't complain again so I assumed you were then happy. I even offered you a slight discount to make up for the fact that the Luxury Double was not to your liking. I also researched a few venues with Live music for you for your Friday night outing.

As for the parking issue, we have 10 parking bays and 10 remotes (and 20 rooms) As stated above, we were 90% full on the day of your booking and our website clearly states that we have limited parking available which is on a first come, first serve basis. There is however ample parking on the street. This is why we do not charge for parking and why we do not book parking bays for guests as it is nearly impossible to control who parks where.

I hope that you will give us another chance to prove why we have a Tripadvisor recommendation to you on your next visit to Cape Town.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013

A nice welcome and the room (deluxe queen) was a great size with an open space for the tub and a separate wet room area. There was an area for breakfast which I think doubles up as a restaurant in season.
The hotel was categorised 4* but from my experience it seemed more of a 3* the quality of products poor, Breakfast poor but they did serve fresh coffee.
The staff were excellent and the location right in th heart of things but the double glazing did not keep the sound of all night street parties out.. We could see Table Mountain from our window and that was a sight.
Mama Africa restaurant right across the road.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Long St are probably noisier.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Ma'am

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

I would just like to point out that we do not have double glazing on our windows, but thickened glazing, which does a good job together with the heavy black-out curtains to block out most of the street noise, however we are very open about the fact that we are situated in the heart of Long street, which is widely know as the party street of Cape Town. We in fact state on our website that we are situated in the melting pot that is Long street, and use words like "vibrant", "hot spot" etc.

I'm sorry you did not enjoy breakfast. We were unfortunately going through a bit of a transitional phase with the new Operators at the time of your stay. I can assure you that breakfast is once again of a 4 Star quality and we now regularly receive compliments on it.

I do hope you will visit us again during your next stay in our beautiful city!

Brentwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel (Feb 2013) and was not disappointed..
Upon arrival the reception staff ( Gareth ) was very welcoming with pointing out the surrounding area, and advising on tours that may be suitable.

The rooms are clean with fantastic views of table top mountain, and great for people watching on Long Street. Yes, this hotel is on Long Street and you might need some earplugs with your stay at Urban Chic, due to location with bars and restaurants on your door step..
Don't let this put you off from staying here - Long Street has a lot to offer with a great atmosphere, food and drink to be had..
After a long day sight seeing having restaurants & bars on your door step is a blessing... You could also try the hotels restaurant and bar, which make fab cocktails ( especially mojito )

The hotel, also has car parking which is a bonus !! Parking in Cape Town is not the easiest.
Great Hotel, Great Staff, Clean Rooms.. I would go back again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JASON R
Dear Sir

Thank you so much for the glowing review of our establishment!

We are so happy to see that you have already booked your next stay with is for next year and we are looking forward to welcoming you back!

Wishing you good health and happiness until we see you again!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

The location of this hotel is amazing. It is in the hub of all the bars and restaurants. Partying on Longstreet is world class but living in it can be frustrating. Every night of the week, the loud music and revelry goes on until 4:30am, making it extremely difficult to get any rest.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Dear Ma'am

Thank you very much for your review. It is great to know that you loved our location and that you enjoyed your stay!

I guess it depends on the person - I can sleep through anything, while my husband cannot. We have over 8000 guests staying with us a year and probably 1% of those complain about the noise and in fact most of them book us because this is where they want to be.