“Fantastic Deal”

Ranked #90 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Bangkok, Thailand
“Fantastic Deal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

Too many positives not to give it a try:
A great 4 star hotel that will not dig too deep into your pockets. Beautiful rooms,with even better views of table mountain, which can be seen through your floor to ceiling windows. The staff are attentive, friendly and eager to please. And the location is perfect! On Long Street, and walking distance to many attractions, bars, restaurants, markets, museums, train station, the red city tour bus, and more.
No complaints!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Windhoek
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

It is just plain sad that a beautiful place like this is managed by a lady who has no respect for people. My team and I stayed at the hotel for seven nights and our experience was just horrible. On our arrival, the manager waited for us at the door (with security guy) insisting that we pay R27 000 upfront and when we asked about alternative stay she insisted we still owe her the money and she would deduct it against our company credit card. She was cold and rude to say the least. Seems the same condition did not apply for other guests. She outrightly lied to us about the rates and the cancellation policy. The prices and amenities promised on th eir website is far from the truth. We had to ask for simple things such as toiletpaper and shower caps....at a "four star hotel"!!!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
UrbanChicBoutique, General Manager at Urban Chic Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Ma'am

I will not be thanking you for your review as I usually do as I feel that your complaint is unfounded.

Your attack on me as the manager, is misdirected and you are only upset that I did not allow you to rip us off when you arrived.

For some background, when you initially made the reservation 3 weeks before your arrival, I informed you that we would require 100% payment upfront so that we could confirm the reservation. This is in line with our booking terms and conditions for group bookings and if you were not happy with this then you should rather not have booked.

You then informed me that you would like to pay cash for the rooms on arrival. I said that would be fine but that I would still require a credit card to guarantee the booking at least should you not arrive. You then sent me a copy of your travel agents credit card and I did a Pre-Authorisation for the amount to be charged only in the event of cancellation or no-show. Which you agreed to.

On arrival, I had my husband with me as security as the owner of the hotel had instructed me to be here to collect the cash payment as we did not want to leave that amount of cash on the premises as we do not have a drop safe. One of your staff then informed me that he wanted to cancel his room and go to stay somewhere else. As per our cancellation policy which you were fully aware of, this was not possible and it was at that point that I told you that if the full amount was not paid before check-in, I would have no choice but to charge the travel agents card as per our cancellation policy. http://urbanchic.co.za/hotel-rates-and-bookings.html

I DID not lie to you about the rates or the cancellation policy. You paid R300 less per room than what our daily rate was at the time - I gave you this rate because you were a group of 5 rooms staying for 7 days - yet you still complained about the rate on arrival only. If you were not happy with the rate why did you proceed with the booking at the time of booking? Also, when I confirmed the booking with you (via our confirmation letter) the cancellation policy and no-show policy is clearly printed on it.

As far as the toilet paper and the shower caps are concerned, all our rooms are supplied with toilet paper on check-in and replenished when needed. If you run out of toilet paper before the housekeepers have been to your room, all you need to do is request it and we will gladly supply you with another roll. Shower caps are in fact NOT a four star requirement and we found that 98% of our guests do not use them or request them so we stopped keeping them in stock. After your stay, we have ordered some to stay at reception should there be a request from someone else. The rooms are in fact stocked with amenities as per our website in the form of Shampoo, foam bath, bath crystals, body lotion, hand soap and shower gel - free of charge.

You will see from other reviews that yours is the only one that has a problem with me, our rates and/or our cancellation policy, so I think that this is more of a personal attack as you did not get away with cancelling at the last minute like you wanted to do.

Regards,

Siranne van Onselen

Travellers are raving about these Cape Town Central hotels

Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Urban Chic Boutique Hotel did not disappoint. My cousin and I stayed here for 12 nights in May 2014. This boutique hotel has 20 rooms, is nicely furnished, clean, centrally located within steps to tons of shops, cafes, restaurants and nightlife. It has amazing views of Table Mountain and Lion's Head. Guests can enjoy free breakfast daily, cake and coffee from 3-6pm at the bar, covered parking, security box, evening turn-down service and wifi. We had breakfast delivered to our rooms practically everyday (gratuities extra). As other reviewers have mentioned, it can get very noisy at night up until 3am. Luckily this did not bother us much as we are accustomed to street noise and are deep sleepers. On the plus side, the bedsheets were very soft and the spectacular view really made it worth it. It is a 20 min drive from the airport (R250-R350 taxi), 5 min drive to V&A Waterfront (R50 taxi), 5 min drive to Table Mountain, 20-30 min drive to Camps Bay/Clifton Beaches. If you are looking for an affordable and nice place to stay within the downtown core to shop, walk around, dine and party this is a great option. The staff is available 24/7 and are very accommodating. We had a late flight back home and were able to leave our luggage at the front after checkout (11am) and used a free room to freshen up before departing. We had an amazing trip and would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Note: Bottled water and local phone calls are extra. Also, you will come across locals and homeless people on the street but they do not haggle you persistently and there are patrols all along Long Street. We did not have any problems even as two females in our 20's but like anywhere else, do take precaution. Only Euro adapters available.

Room Tip: We stayed in room# 602 (exact room as in the display photo). It is located on the corner of the high...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank lihanna
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

Urban Chic Boutique Hotel, an upmarket luxury hotel, located on Long Street in Cape Town, in the heart of the beautiful city. My boyfriend actually found this gorgeous hotel when we were looking for accommodation last month for a Wedding we were attending. To our surprise we came to this amazing hotel and fell inlove immediately, talk about stunning!! If you are a young couple, who enjoys the city and nightlife and does not mind noisy streets and taking a stroll on a busy road, then Urban Chic Hotel is the ideal place to stay. Their service is amazing, the rooms are beautiful and spacious and your breakfast is included every morning with an awesome array of delicious food.

Pros:
*Central and conveniently placed in City Center
*Four Star Luxury Hotel
*Spacious rooms and bathroom with a shower, toilet and bath tub
*Breathtaking view of Table Mountain
* Walk away from Nightlife and resturants
*Breakfast served every morning included in Accommodation fee
*Undercover Parking with remote
*Receptionist very helpful
*Between 4 - 6pm is happy hour whereby hotel guests recieve free cake and tea
*A safe is provided for your belongings
*They turn down your bed before night time
*Clean towels were replaced

Cons:
* If you on a business trip and looking for a quite area then staying on Long Street is not ideal
* Walking outside from the underground parking to the hotel can be a schlep especially late at night
* Noise from the busy streets could distirb your sleep

Urban Chic Hotel is a gorgeous luxury hotel to stay in especially if you are looking to travel and see Cape Town. Not only is it centralized and convenient but also close to resturants, shopping centers and entertainment areas. I would recommend this Boutique Hotel to anyone who does travel to Cape Town. Whether you are a family or a couple, this place offers the best services at a affordable rate.

I would rate this hotel as a 9 out of 10. :-) I did a full review on my blog, check it out here, www.canvasfashionbysimone.blogspot.com

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank simonestephens1
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

The hotel utself is fantastic but due to it's extremely awkward position right next to Stones, across the road from Space Bar and down the road from 169 don't think you're gonna get much sleep. It is now 2am and I am still awake for the 3rd night in a row... noise quiets down by arounf 4am in the middle of the week... still going at 6am on the weekends... You will have an equal sleeping experience by walking across the road and sleeping in the pub without having to pay a room rate...

Room Tip: As high as possible away from long street....
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank RNaude
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed 5 nights in this very central hotel on busy Long Street. Like other reviews have mentioned noise is an issue, more so on weekends. There were a few issues with service, but most staff were friendly and more than willing to help with organizing transfers/tours or just giving general advice. Our room was clean and nicely furnished. Breakfast was great. Wifi patchy, didn't work at all in our room. Overall a value for money hotel in a central location.

• Stayed May 2014
edinburgh, uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

False advertising or bad management. or somewhere in between. Entering the room noticed some odd things like a broken table leg, a torn curtain, and what looked like a sock or cloth wrapped around leaking shower head. Oops the safe didn't work needed batteries….ummm mini fridge (empty) didn't come on, needed circuit breaker re set. Power points don't work, not to worry theres one behind desk that works,.no cold water you say? only the hot works? we'll get the plumber to fix it ,.,.and Internet-WiFi? Ummmm, oh they are fixing the router should be working anytime. Always responding to these little dilemmas in a nice way but finally asked if I could just change rooms and was told nothing was really available. People nice enough except for the evening desk clerk who had the personality of a statue. Breakfast was really good. Location theoretically good but the main complaint was the noise,,,and not just street noise, but rather blasting thumping techno clank till 2am directly across the street every night,with a triple blast from side by side bars on saturday. response from desk? we have ear plugs. they are clever enough to make you pre pay and they had me for three nights worth so ,.,.,.. all I caan say is , the price was right, the breakfast good, the sleep impossible , the internet spotty to non existent , and as far as Urban Chic Boutique? Time to get some repairs.,.,.,.,.internet, mini bar, safe, plumbing, power points, soooo chic,.,.,.

Room Tip: ,bring ear plugs if you are the type who sleeps,.,top or 5th floor maybe for better internet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo