“Very good location for down town”

Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel
Ranked #34 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Basel, Switzerland
“Very good location for down town”
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Nice apartments will let you stay with family or friends, cook, use the living and have a rather comfortable space. Location is fantastic for those who want to enjoy the city amenities, the good party going on Long Street and the art crafts markets in the pedestrian area.
It however pricy for what you get. for those who don’t know Cape Town yet, city is not far from the beaches and just next to beautiful Camps Bay.
I may have stayed in a rather high season or special occasion (Argus Pick & Pay bicycle tour) but ~ USD 300/night is way too much for it.

Room Tip: Some apartments have the rooms facing the main corridor and then you may have to endure baggage whee...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank zaspi
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Dear Zaspi,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience here at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel and Spa. I have noted your comments about our prices and can assure you that they are well within the rates charged for similar properties within the Cape Town CBD. I see you are an avid cyclist and with this in ind ask that when you book for next year to check with me and my team. We offer a lot of specials over this period.

Kind regards

Desmond

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
London
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Treatment room was dirty. My pedicure was rushed as the therapist had to leave. It was not very professional. There was no top coat applied on my nails and a lot of paint on the skin. A complete waste of money.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank TravellerFromOz
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Dear TravellerFromOz,

I have just recieved your Trip Advisor review about your Spa experience and must admit I was most disappointed. Although Camelot Spa operates in the building it is in fact a privately owned concern and NOT operated by the Hotel at all.

Having said this, it is still part of our offering which we advertise and therefor when guests have a good or bad experience we take it very personally, as it is a reflection on the Hotel as well. I have therefore made contact with the owner and advised them of this and trust they will make contact with you direct.

I trust that this has not detracted form your stay with us here at the Hotel.

Regards

Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Central, safe location; spacious, comfortable apartments, some with stunning views of Table Mountain; hotel staff welcoming, friendly and really helpful. We hope to return soon with our teenage children.

Room Tip: Some apartments have amazing views of Table Mountain.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2013
Dear Pam T,

Thank you for the great review. Come back and visit us again soon.

Kind regards

uk
Reviewed 18 February 2012

One of the best apartments I have stayed. Very central and easy access. The C block and the tower blocks are great place to stay. All the staff are friendly and very helpful. Alastair was very helpful organizing tours. He made my stay at this hotel very pleasant. He also took time out to talk to us everyday to see how we spent our day. Also very grateful to him as he made sure my cab on leaving day was booked and helped with my luggage to my cab( despite not being his job). I also was very impressed with the hotel as my checking time was at 1pm but they checked me in early. They were also relaxed on the checking time out. Only one problem was the free shuttle from the hotel to V&A waterfront. They did not depart on time and failed to turn up at the waterfront to collect us on one occasion. They were happy to refund my fare on this occasion.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank raj p
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Dear Raj P

I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us as we strive to build lasting relationships with our guests.
Your comment has been noted and passed on to our staff.
We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience that was caused to you in regards to thye shuttle not arriving on time, we hope it did not cause a damper on your travel.
With that said, we hope to see you once again.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Staff was friendly and wonderful welcome from the reception staff and Diana very welcoming.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Inger J
Dear Inger J

Thank you for your wonderful feedback.
Its always nice to have South Africans always travelling within the country.
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and with this have created an exceptional experience for our guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place stays your “home” when visiting Cape Town.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Desmon O'Connor
Manchester, UK
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Excellent rooms, massive and well equipped (I've stayed in a 1 and 2 bed). I'm on my own but this would be brilliant with the family as there is a full kitchen including washing machine and dishwasher. Close to long street if you like that sort of thing and 5 mins in a cab (15 min walk) to v&a etc. Long street, whilst a bit backpacker (I'm too old for that sort of thing) has staggeringly cheap food and is 3 mins walk.

Room Tip: Get the biggest you can as they are worth the tiny price increase
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ManchesterMartin70
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Dear ManchesterMartin70

It excites me when i get great reviews such as yours about our hotels, as we pride ourselves in making memorable stays for our guests.

I'm also glad that you had taken the time to view the surrounding areas, as our location is nicely based for a variety of sight seeing including being withing walking distance to the museums, greenmarket square and a range of shopping areas and malls in which i'm sure you managed to enjoy.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I stayed in an apartment in this Aparthotel over Christmas 2011. I found the apartment to be of good size and got a reasonable discount of the published rate. The only disappointment was the pool area which was not serviced except by phone. There were no cushions for the sunbeds and no bathing towels supplied. Surely a serviced pool would pay for itself. The retail area downstairs could do with a bar.

Room Tip: Call local management to get the best deal. Get an aparment facing the pedestrian street adjoining.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Sailor_30041962
Dear Sailor_30041962

We appreciate your comments on tripadvisor regarding our hotel and thank you for noting out areas that required improvement.

Christmas was an exciting time and excessively hot, so i do understand your frustration in regards to the pool area not living up to your expectations.
I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience that was caused and hope this was not a huge blunder to your stay and hope you will offer us the opportunity to rectify this on your next stay.

On your next stay, i will be looking forward to meeting you on arrival.