“Nothing special”

Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel
Ranked #34 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
“Nothing special”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

The rooms are lovely, the staff is very very slow and unhelpful, they did not have enough room keys so 4 of us had to share a single key, then, we had to leave the room at 11am after we made plans for a late check out, and in the rush to get out with very short notice, I accidentally left my watch in the room, when I went back later to ask if they found it, it was not reported found and it is lost now without ANY effort or apology from the staff.

Room Tip: Be patient with the staff and be very careful with your belongings.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Dear EmilFaber,

Thank you for writing this honest and insightful review on TripAdvisor. I must admit is saddened me as it is not the standard in which we pride ourselves, and I am sure what you have become accustomed to during your travels. Your comments have therefore been distributed to the entire team here and will be addressed accordingly and measures are being put into place to ensure that we lift the bar once more.

We are constantly aiming to ensure that our guests experience the very finest service and standards at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel and Spa, and with this in mind please accept my humble apologies for the challenges you experienced.

Desmond

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Basel, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

Nice apartments will let you stay with family or friends, cook, use the living and have a rather comfortable space. Location is fantastic for those who want to enjoy the city amenities, the good party going on Long Street and the art crafts markets in the pedestrian area.
It however pricy for what you get. for those who don’t know Cape Town yet, city is not far from the beaches and just next to beautiful Camps Bay.
I may have stayed in a rather high season or special occasion (Argus Pick & Pay bicycle tour) but ~ USD 300/night is way too much for it.

Room Tip: Some apartments have the rooms facing the main corridor and then you may have to endure baggage whee...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank zaspi
Dear Zaspi,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience here at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel and Spa. I have noted your comments about our prices and can assure you that they are well within the rates charged for similar properties within the Cape Town CBD. I see you are an avid cyclist and with this in ind ask that when you book for next year to check with me and my team. We offer a lot of specials over this period.

London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

Treatment room was dirty. My pedicure was rushed as the therapist had to leave. It was not very professional. There was no top coat applied on my nails and a lot of paint on the skin. A complete waste of money.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank TravellerFromOz
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Dear TravellerFromOz,

I have just recieved your Trip Advisor review about your Spa experience and must admit I was most disappointed. Although Camelot Spa operates in the building it is in fact a privately owned concern and NOT operated by the Hotel at all.

Having said this, it is still part of our offering which we advertise and therefor when guests have a good or bad experience we take it very personally, as it is a reflection on the Hotel as well. I have therefore made contact with the owner and advised them of this and trust they will make contact with you direct.

I trust that this has not detracted form your stay with us here at the Hotel.

Regards

Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

Central, safe location; spacious, comfortable apartments, some with stunning views of Table Mountain; hotel staff welcoming, friendly and really helpful. We hope to return soon with our teenage children.

Room Tip: Some apartments have amazing views of Table Mountain.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2013
Dear Pam T,

Thank you for the great review. Come back and visit us again soon.

uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

One of the best apartments I have stayed. Very central and easy access. The C block and the tower blocks are great place to stay. All the staff are friendly and very helpful. Alastair was very helpful organizing tours. He made my stay at this hotel very pleasant. He also took time out to talk to us everyday to see how we spent our day. Also very grateful to him as he made sure my cab on leaving day was booked and helped with my luggage to my cab( despite not being his job). I also was very impressed with the hotel as my checking time was at 1pm but they checked me in early. They were also relaxed on the checking time out. Only one problem was the free shuttle from the hotel to V&A waterfront. They did not depart on time and failed to turn up at the waterfront to collect us on one occasion. They were happy to refund my fare on this occasion.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank raj p
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Dear Raj P

I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us as we strive to build lasting relationships with our guests.
Your comment has been noted and passed on to our staff.
We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience that was caused to you in regards to thye shuttle not arriving on time, we hope it did not cause a damper on your travel.
With that said, we hope to see you once again.

Desmond O'Connor
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

Staff was friendly and wonderful welcome from the reception staff and Diana very welcoming.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Inger J
Dear Inger J

Thank you for your wonderful feedback.
Its always nice to have South Africans always travelling within the country.
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and with this have created an exceptional experience for our guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place stays your “home” when visiting Cape Town.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Desmon O'Connor
Manchester, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

Excellent rooms, massive and well equipped (I've stayed in a 1 and 2 bed). I'm on my own but this would be brilliant with the family as there is a full kitchen including washing machine and dishwasher. Close to long street if you like that sort of thing and 5 mins in a cab (15 min walk) to v&a etc. Long street, whilst a bit backpacker (I'm too old for that sort of thing) has staggeringly cheap food and is 3 mins walk.

Room Tip: Get the biggest you can as they are worth the tiny price increase
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ManchesterMartin70
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Dear ManchesterMartin70

It excites me when i get great reviews such as yours about our hotels, as we pride ourselves in making memorable stays for our guests.

I'm also glad that you had taken the time to view the surrounding areas, as our location is nicely based for a variety of sight seeing including being withing walking distance to the museums, greenmarket square and a range of shopping areas and malls in which i'm sure you managed to enjoy.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Desmond O'Connor