“Urban chick in great spot”

Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel
Ranked #33 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Urban chick in great spot”
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Were treated to a night's stay by a friend. She obviously really wanted to treat us because we found ourselves in a beautiful two-bedroom apartment with the most amazing views over the city and Table Mountain.

The rooms are large and beautifully furnished with the lounge/kitchen/dining room large enough to even entertain a few friends. Our 11 year old son quickly found entertainment on the couch in front of the TV whilst we spent the afternoon in the hotel spa. What a wonderful treat after being stuck in the traffic for 2 hours on our way into town!

Upon our return to the room we found the young man was missing, but eventually spotted him an a deck chair next to the pool! He had an enlightening conversation with a group of young people from overseas!

The hotel is located in a great spot - a block away from the famous Long Street, Green Market Square and some great restaurants. Unfortunately our stay was too short too really enjoy all on offer. Next time we will definitely book in for a night or two more!

We all agreed that it felt a bit like we were in New York!!! However - much cheaper than NY and the city so much more beautiful!

One note: You need to keep your bearings when going up and down and around! We could not find the spa and ended up on the fire escape - then discovered that you needed a card to get out - which we left in the room with our son! Luckily we found a door with a buzzer - which to our delight was the back door of the spa! All is well that ends well!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Dear Monique, Kallie and Luke,

Thanks for the fantastic review on your recent visit to Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel and Spa. I am sorry I did not get to see you again but trust that you will come and visit again and soon.

Desmond

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
johannesburg
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Love the central location, but that's about all. My room was basically a bed in the kitchen. The two point plug socket in the bathroom did not work, the rain shower spilled water on the floor every time I had a shower. The view from room W601 was simply awful. I looked out onto an old office block complete with broken windows and trashed furniture, situated in a seedy ally. I immediately called reception to change my room but was promptly told that the hotel was fully booked. Really? In the middle of march? Whatever! I travel frequently and will not recommend this hotel. Not so much for the poor quality room I was placed in, but for the fact that your staff were not willing to assist. You could learn so much from the southern sun hotel chain.

Room Tip: Try southern sun first
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2013
Dear Robin L,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit. I am afraid that the Hotel does run at exceptionally high occupancy and whether you wish to believe us or not the Hotel is full on most occasions.

I cannot speak for Southern Sun but I do believe judging from the numerous excellent reviews we get here on TripAdvisor that we can offer an excellent service and have a very good product.

We obviously failed in ensuring that your stay was another great experience and for this I can only apologize.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Very difficult to rate as some aspects are really good while others are pretty awful. Good - clean, good location, Doppio Zero restaurant at the bottom of the hotel, friendly staff. They were very accommodating in changing my room on request. The apartment rooms are very pleasant, well kitted out and spacious. Bad - avoid the studio rooms. They are dreadful and it's like sleeping in the kitchen and the bathroom at the same time. I also arranged a shuttle to pick me up at the airport. The "shuttle" entailed a foreigner driving me to the hotel in a smashed up old Tazz where the seat I was sitting on moved forwards and backwards when the driver braked and accelerated. Very pleasant fellow driving but at R280 a complete wrap-off and completely unacceptable service from a 4 star hotel. I'm not entirely sure how legal the shuttle was either as on arrival another fellow arrived out of the shadows to ask me to sign a receipt book one would purchase at CNA. The shuttle cost did arrive on my statement at check-out so there did appear to be a semblance of formality around it. Ugly - the hotel lacks atmosphere and is very clinical. The gym, although functional also needs a bit of an upgrade and some new equipment - again not acceptable for a 4 star hotel.

Would I stay there again? I'm not so sure. There are many better 4 star hotels in Cape Town

Room Tip: Avoid the studio rooms. Request an apartment in Tower C. Very pleasant
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Rob S
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Dear Rob S,

Thanks for your feedback. I have responded to you directly via our eGuest Survey system.

Regards

Reviewed 15 March 2013

The first time i stayed Mandela Rhodes place was in 2011. I am a regular traveller to Cape Town and this Hotel has become my home away from home. The thing that stands out most is the professional and friendly staff that always make my stay at the hotel memorable. The amazing apartments are well kept and clean. the hotel is centrally located surrounded by some of the best restaurants in Cape Town. I definately recommend Mandela Rhodes place.

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Dear Tebogo,

Thanks for your kind words. I can assure you that as much as you like our Hotel we feel similar about you as our guest.

Come back soon.

Haberfield, Australia
Reviewed 10 March 2013

This was my first trip to South Africa and Cape Town. Could there have been a better place to stay? Location is central to all that a tourist would want - shops, food outlets and supermarkets, street markets, public buildings, museums and many others. The Central Rail Station is a short distance, even a walk, away. Wonderful views from most of the spacious apartments. Our apartment had all the right appliances needed to make for a great holiday. Doppio Zero, the hotel's ground floor restaurant, has a wonderful selection of fare at very attractive prices. And last but not least, Mandela's staff are very welcoming and helpful. Finny39

Room Tip: Go for the rooms that look towards the Harbourfront
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2013
Dear Finny39,

Many thanks for the delightful review on my property and my team. It does make me feel very good about what we achieve here with our guests. We hope to see you back soon in our lovely city and here at Mandela Rhodes Place.

Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Came to Cape Town in May 2012 , found this place in Trip Advisor and it was really worth the money spent ! Great location, great apartment, fully furnished with full kitchen utilities . Good TV programs playing while we lazed in our spacious living room. And we like the bathrooms too !
Definitely will stay here again !

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nuraiza
Dear Nuraiza,

Thanks for the lovely comments and we cannot wait to have you stay here again at your "home" in Cape Town.

Regards
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 March 2013

We returned to this hotel eighteen months after our last stay and it was equally as good.
The staff are very helpful and informative. The two bedroom, two bathroom apartments are very spacious, well fitted, clean and have a washing machine which is great when travelling.
Dopio Zero is a delicious restaurant on the ground floor and a great and reasonable option for dinner if you want to stay within the hotel at night. The Indian restaurant just over the road is also a delicious choice and very close. We did not feel unsafe at any time and walked comfortably to the waterfront and the local markets close to the hotel. The Food Lovers market opposite the hotel has a mouthwatering array of food as well as a coffee shop and a sushi train. In the food Lovers market you can buy prepared salads and meals as well as a large range of fresh and preserved foods and cheeses. Parking is easy in the attached parking building. It is an easy drive to Table Mountain and Signal Hill, they are only a few minutes away when the traffic is not at peak flow. For a safe and central location this hotel is an excellent choice.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank kiwisfly
Dear Kiwisfly,

I would think being back for another stay we must be doing something right and hopefully so right that you come back for a third time. Thank you for the lovely write up my team and I appreciate your kind words.

See you soon.