“Very good location, ideal for Self-Catering”

Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel
Ranked #33 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 10 April 2013

We booked a 2-bedroomed suite in the Tower and were not disappointed. Well equipped kitchen, dining area and TV area plus 2 ensuite bedrooms and an extra toilet. The balcony was big enough for a table, 4 chairs and two bicycles. The gym was good although could benefit from having some gym mats. The only down side is the intermittent nature of the internet and the fact that the "free portion" given by the hotel runs out very quickly and then you have to buy time for a service which is not reliable. Why oh why do hotels insist on being stingy with internet provision. Other than than, we were happy to have convenient parking in the basement and a supermarket close by. the local restuarants were good but beware if being hussled by beggars on your way home when it is after 9.00pm. Although Cape Town is much more relaxed than Joburg, don't drop your guard. by the way, we had a couple of great massages in the Chinese staffed Spa - really effective. However, we tried the restaurant on the ground floor but didn't like the slow service. it is a shame that they don't do more with the restaurant around the pool area. They could have some funky ibiza style music and open earlier to catch the brunchers but..they don't! Instead, there is no atmosphere and nothing very attractiive about it. Lunch food was okay though.

Room Tip: Choose the Tower
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2013

Dear JannJ28,

Many thanks for your very well written and concise review. I have noted your comments about the WIFI and will be sure to look into it. I have also noted your comments about Doppio Zero and will adress the slow service with them.

All the best and come visit again.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

We loved this hotel in Cape Town. We booked a weekend package through Kulula.

The staff was friendly and well trained, our room was clean and well equipped. We enjoyed daily a delicious breakfast in the Doppio Zero restaurant in the hotel.

Room Tip: The two bed superior room was very nice, although the view from the lounge was not nice.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

Dear Elsabebloem,

Many thanks for your feedback. My team and I were delighted to have read that you enjoyed your stay with us. As you live but a few hours away we expect to see you back soon.

Reviewed 5 April 2013

this hotel has it all. location location location, next to Company's Garden, Long Street, flee market, everything is within walking distance. Hop on Hop Off bus stops across the street. We were given a room in the Tower, with 2 huge bedrooms, 2.5 bath, full kitchen and laundry, and beautiful balcony, with modern furniture. This was perfect for a family of four. They have an art gallery downstairs. the restaurant serves really good and cheap food, for american standards. there is 24 hours security at the door to the tower. nice pool, my kids use it every day we were there. concierge arranged taxi for my husband, tickets to robbens island, restaurant reservation for us. this is the best service we have gotten in cape town. by the way, we had to extend our stay for one more night and the rate the hotel gave us for the same room was almost $100 less than hotels.com. just saying.. if i were to stay in cape town central again, this is definitely the hotel to be. the one next door to MR is Taj, which charges $700+ a night, while MR is about $200, for a suite that i can move in. my husband thinks the units in the tower is actually for sale, and there are some long term residents in there, which made it more appealing as a home away from home.

Room Tip: Tower, all quiet and spacious, unbelievable value
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2013

Dear Newtonmum,

WOW! I think that is about all I can say... Thanks for the review and your kind words. I am delighted to have read that you had such a great time here with us. You now know where to find us when next in Cape Town and I promise to have a Towers Suite ready for you . So what are you waiting for COME BACK!!

All the best to you and you family and kind regards

Reviewed 5 April 2013

I stayed at the hotel for the third time, and every time it's been good. The staff in general are friendly, with an exceptional service from the porters. The rooms are clean, welcoming and comfortable. For me it is a home away from home, everything that one needs is there to make one's stay memorable. Won't mind staying at this hotel every time I am in the Mother City.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear SimthandileM,

Thanks for these kind words. It always warms my heart when I read these kind of review which makes me realize that my team is doing exactly what they should and that my guests are reaping the benefits thereof.

We look forward to having you visit again.

Desmond and team

Reviewed 5 April 2013

The Mandela Rhodes was a very nice hotel. The Superior apartment is beautiful and spacious and everything is still very new and looking great. The majority of the people there are very friendly and do try and help. Some are excellent with remembering your name and greeting you by name the next time they see you. My 3 night stay was, however, quite dampened by the challenges I had with the bathroom shower & bath. When I arrived the rain shower dribbled water out of under half of its nozzles. After reporting this, the "mechanic"(plumber?) came very quickly and played around for a bit. When he said it was fixed I should have checked while he was there. He managed to get the shower to dribble water out of about 80% of the nozzles now.
As I never saw any other rooms I do not now if they are all like that or not, but it was quite disappointing and I had 3 nights without really being able to wash properly (the bath filled so slowly due to limited waterflow that it was cool before it got half full). That was a big dampener on the stay, and the video I took of it is sad to watch..
Otherwise the Spa was good (except for the hard sell to come back again during your treatment) and the main italian restaurant's food was great.

Room Tip: Corner suite I had was very large and lit up nicely during the day. Windows though didn't block...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo

Dear Nathan81255060,

Thank you for choosing Mandela Rhodes Place as your home whilst you visited our amazing city. I am sorry to have read your challenges with the water and can assure you it is not the service we pride ourselves in. That said, I must also say that even with these challenges it appeared as if your visit was more than pleasant. We trust you will come visit us again one day which will allow us to show we can get it right.

Reviewed 3 April 2013

This hotel is just the place to be in! Good sorroundings, very friendly and helpful staff, great food, great sites and finally THE SPA! The arrangements and hotel programs were very impressive.This was a very safe place to be in unlike other cities e.g Jo;Burg that feels insecure in virtually every corner.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the table mountains were the greatest for me!The scenes,you know clouds descending!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Dear Josepho677,

Many thanks for these kind words. It is always nice when we have fellow "Africans" stay here and rave about our Hotel. That said, you are always welcome and we will keep your room spare for you.

All the best and kind regards

Reviewed 3 April 2013

Space, ambience, cleanliness, convenience, customer-centricity, you name it ! Oh, and then there's Doppio Zero...name any menu item...oh, the Ginger Green juice !!! Desmond - Thanks for the upgrade to a superior room, you've earned Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel life-time customers ! Mpho Choma

Room Tip: Superior room - good for a small family - F607
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Mpho,

I must admit it was quite fortuitous that I was at the desk and able to give you an upgrade. And I must also add what a pleasure it was to have met you! We look forward to having you stay here again and soon I trust.

All the best.